Synthetic makes 1NZ-FXE louder. More than once

Hello,

i've had several higher mile Prius come in the 1.5 1NZFXE and drained conventional out to put full synthetic and then they are noisier when cold. I assume this is becuase synthetic is more fluid when cold. I was thinking of bumping up to 10w30 full synthetic rather than going back to conventional. Would love to here from you guys

Thanks

I guess the lube shops? Nevertheless I have had multiple of these 1nx and even some other small fours that get louder with full syth. Its DEF thinner when cold - seems worse on 20degF days... 10w30 full syth seems smarter than a blend or conventional

I guess the lube shops? Nevertheless I have had multiple of these 1nx and even some other small fours that get louder with full syth. Its DEF thinner when cold - seems worse on 20degF days... 10w30 full syth seems smarter than a blend or conventional
Both are very thick when cold. The functional difference is minimal especially when the winter ratings are identical.

This has happened several times. I get an old high mileage car, it’s quiet, switch to full syn and there is a little more clatter at cold start. If I had 5 quarts of straight up old-school conventional on my shelf, I would swap it and probably see my suspicions proved. Definitely a little thicker, if that’s the right word, when cold. So a 10W-30 full synthetic seems to be the logical next stop, I’m just looking for somebody with a little bit more experience and dad at either tell me I am right or tell me I am wrong

Drives me nuts. The crap oil that was in was keeping it quit. Gave it a wix and full syn now it’s clacky when ice cold. Any down side of 10w30?

Imo there would be no downside to using a 10w30. If I'm wrong on that, maybe someone else will chime in.

Drives me nuts. The crap oil that was in was keeping it quit. Gave it a wix and full syn now it’s clacky when ice cold. Any down side of 10w30?
I do not understand what you’re trying to say here. What quit where? And how?

And what kind of downside? Choose a winter writing that is appropriate for your expected starting conditions.

I’ve used full syn in the 1NZFE 1.5 liter xB in my sig for over 100,000 miles, I don’t recall ever hearing any difference(?). Thought a Prius generally used 0W20 or similar? Castrol Magnatec did quiet down my MGM’s 4,6 somewhat, maybe that would be a good one to try (I’ve been using 5W20 Dexos rated oil).

I meant quiet not quit.

This has happened a couple times. It’s not like the motor has a problem, but it has a little more cold start noise after the oil change - these have been higher mile motors that previously had synthetic. I know it doesn’t make sense, but I can hear it, so it is there. Logically, if I take out conventional and put in synthetic and there is a difference, putting conventional back in with reverse that difference…
My thought is that synthetic is a bit less viscous when cold, and obviously so is 10w30 synthetic so that might be a good thing to try. If it can’t hurt anything I may just try it and report back

Back