pennzoil synthetic blend

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know motorcraft synthetic blend is at least 50% synthetic but what about pennzoil (it's a gold bottle)
it says it's 50% or more, so how does this synthetic blend compare to a ford? At walmart, it's only a dollar more for 5 quarts than the yellow bottle, and it's 50% or over 50% synthetic! so is this a good deal or no, and is it better than motorcraft, especially when it comes to cleaning?

it says it's 50% synthetic, does that mean it's 50% pennzoil platinum, or is it a cheap synthetic they add in their synthetic blend? i ask because at walmart, yellow bottle is around 16.50 for 5 quarts, godl syn blend (apparenlty 50% synthetic) is 17.50, motorcraft syn blend is 17.97 (Meijer sells motocraft syn blend for 17.99) just like mobil 1, at walmart is 25.17 and at meijer it's 25.19, but this week my local walmart has mobil 1 (5 qt) for only 22.57, so I bought some.

regardless, is the "synthetic" in the synthetic blend pennzoil platinum?? full synthetic penzz platinum is 25.17 at walmart and 25.19 at meijer

so why is it only 1 dollar more than the yellow bottle if the full synthetic is several dollars more? if it were half synthetic or half pennz platinum, wouldn't the price on the gold bottle pennzoil synthetic blend (it's dexos approved) be halfway between pennz yellow bottle and pennz platinum? that'd make sense
but since it's 50% synthetic and only a dollar more, that makes me suspect that they are NOT using 505 pennz platinujm but are rather using some cheap synthetic in there which passes as synthetic but doesn't clean as well as platinum

or is it honestly 50% platinum?

any experiences with pennzoil synthetic blend, and for people who used this, motorcraft, and castrol synblend, which is better/you had better experiences with?

is the pennzoil synthetic blend the best synthetic blend or is the castrol gtx synblend good?
speaking of sales, castrol syntec full synthetic is on sale at meier for 22.99, similar to mobil 1 at walmart, where i'm at

but when it comes to off the shelf synthetic blends, is pennzoil synthetic blend better than the other ones and how is it compared to motorcraft, and is their "synthetic" the same as pennz platinum, or is it another off brand, cheaper synthetic?

OK, why haven't you considered SuperTech Full Synthetic ? This oughtta be good.
35.gif

I'm curious - where did you see it mentioned that it's 50% synthetic? I've never seen any claim like that for Pennzoil ( or really for just about any 'synth blend' )

In all honesty, a synthetic blend could just as easily have 10% synthetic.

"Citation Needed"

Holy smokes! Not only does he not wanna talk about the oil, he's dodging the whole question.
shocked.gif

It's amazing how many people don't trust SuperTech.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Holy smokes! Not only does he not wanna talk about the oil, he's dodging the whole question.
shocked.gif

It's amazing how many people don't trust SuperTech.
grin.gif

I never thought I'd say this, but go ahead and get some SuperTech and call it a day and sleep well at night

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I never thought I'd say this, but go ahead and get some SuperTech and call it a day and sleep well at night

People think it's gotta weak add-pack and who knows what all else.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

People think it's gotta weak add-pack and who knows what all else.
grin.gif

This is coming from the guy who didn't even know what was in the bottle 2 days ago....
crackmeup2.gif

I can't believe he is still
18.gif
considering he is now a Citgo fan, not a ST fan.

I have decided to put this person on my ignored list, just found that button today.
grin.gif

Why would you do that? I've decided to approach engineer20 threads as pure entertainment. He's like a hyperactive 6 year old kid high on snickers bars and mountain dew, running around a toy store. Only instead of toys, he's running around yelling about motor oil. His threads are like a brain dump of every half thought he has on a subject.

I don't know if I'll ever reply to one of his threads again, but I'll continue to click on them to read the non-linear absurdity of his half thoughts.

I have decided to put this person on my ignored list, just found that button today.
grin.gif

I think he is a very lonely person.

Can we all sing "Eleanor Rigby" by the Beatles now.

The whole pot calls the kettle black!

If synthetic isn't really then 50% synthetic is just Earl - plain earl.

Get some RDS GTL pureplus base platinum instead then sleep well running a high performing true synthetic.

I'm serious, the bottle mentions 50% synthetic. All I wanted to know was how was it based on your experiences compared to motorcraft and I didn't wanna be made fun of or laughed at. Maybe I am lonely, but seriously, this is the only hobby I have, going to the store every weekend to look at oil change specials, it's like my only entertainment, I know, sad, but I'm a very esoteric person with a rather pathetic life and I'm not afraid to admit it and my newfound d love of moto oil gets me going and gives me purpose in life.

How is pennzoil platinum compares to motorcraft syn blend and is the fifty percent their platinum or is it another oil?

Originally Posted By: engineer20
I'm serious, the bottle mentions 50% synthetic. All I wanted to know was how was it based on your experiences compared to motorcraft and I didn't wanna be made fun of or laughed at. Maybe I am lonely, but seriously, this is the only hobby I have, going to the store every weekend to look at oil change specials, it's like my only entertainment, I know, sad, but I'm a very esoteric person with a rather pathetic life and I'm not afraid to admit it and my newfound d love of moto oil gets me going and gives me purpose in life.

How is pennzoil platinum compares to motorcraft syn blend and is the fifty percent their platinum or is it another oil?

I've never seen Motorcraft mention the percentage of synthetic in their syn-blend but it appears to be a very good oil that meets Ford's requirements.
Pennzoil syn-blend mentions >50% syn. and is also a very good oil that meets the tough dexos spec.
Either one will work well.
I wouldn't take the syn. percentage too seriously because Gr. 2+, Gr. 3 etc... are very close while only one can be called synthetic.

Originally Posted By: pbm

I've never seen Motorcraft mention the percentage of synthetic in their syn-blend but it appears to be a very good oil that meets Ford's requirements.
Pennzoil syn-blend mentions >50% syn. and is also a very good oil that meets the tough dexos spec.
Either one will work well.
I wouldn't take the syn. percentage too seriously because Gr. 2+, Gr. 3 etc... are very close while only one can be called synthetic.

Engineer20, in my estimation, pbm's explaination above is the best answer you will recieve on this. The dexos certification being the most tangible factor to PSB quality. Who know's though, maybe Ford's MC doesnt want to meet the GM spec, but that is conjecture. The fact is that PSB does.

Originally Posted By: engineer20
I'm serious, the bottle mentions 50% synthetic.

ARCO is being sincere - it's just that not everyone will agree with him. He (and he's not the only one) doesn't accept Group III oils as synthetic. Therefore, by that reasoning, an oil with 50% or more Group III isn't really a synthetic blend.

As to the Pennzoil synthetic blend in general, I wouldn't call it "superior" to the Motorcraft synthetic blend, but note that some synthetic blends to meet more rigorous specifications. Motorcraft doesn't target dexos1 (obviously) and I don't think it meets any ACEA specifications. Pennzoil dexos1 blend obviously meets dexos1. MaxLife blend is A1 or A5, but I'm not sure which one off the top of my head.

Also note that while Motorcraft in the States is a synthetic blend, Motorcraft in Canada is not (at least not any more so than any other "conventional" out there), and I doubt that OLMs are programmed appreciably differently on either side of the border.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back