SynPower 0w20 - 8,228 miles - '16.5 CX-5 w/ 2.5l

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by wemay
Originally Posted by RamFan
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Was this the older version of Synpower? I noticed there's no moly.

Yes, this is plain Jane SynPower purchased about 2 years ago. This is not either the Advanced or Modern Engine brew.

Being plain jane SynPower isn't the focus of aqua's or Pim's observations. SynPower has since changed formula to deal with LSPI. Moly has been added, Magnesium increased at the expense of Calcium and Sodium. This change has been made across their entire range since even Valvoline Daily Protection meets SN Plus (also a LSPI fostered formula change).

Unfortunately, SynPower has also had a name change. It's now called Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic.

Because name changes are synonymous with better true or not which supports price increases.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Nice report.

I buying the same vehicle soon. What octane do you use in your 2.5L SkyActiv engine ?

We also use 87 and never higher which is the purpose of its design.
We do go "off" the manual on oil viscosity though. Ive never run a 20 in any of my vehicles going back 10 years now and most likely never will.

I always run 5/30 even our 2012 Skyactive (at the time) allows 5w30 in the same exact engine outside of the USA = EPA (to me).
Also run it in my Dodge Durango.
Granted we live in South Carolina with only a handful of extreme cold nights of less then 20 degrees but doesnt matter, think we are at the point of splitting hairs, meaning any oil viscosity of 30 and less is more about fuel economy and they will all perform the same as far as wear with a slight edge to the 30 in my warner climate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back