SynPower 0w20 - 8,228 miles - '16.5 CX-5 w/ 2.5l

Status
Not open for further replies.
Things are heading in the right direction. My goal is to see that flashpoint increase to above 385. Will run this oci to between 7,500 and 8,000 miles and pulling a sample. Will probably be the last sample I run as it's looking like 8k miles is a good point to stop.

OCI history is as follows:

0 - 1,169 - Factory Fill
1,169 - 10,120 - Mag1 0w20
10,120 - 19,949 - Mobil Super Syn 0w20
19,949 - 30,031 - Mobil 1 EP 0w20
30,031 - 39,486 - SynPower 0w20
39,486 - 47,714 - SynPower 0w20
47,714 - Present - SynPower w/ MaxLife 0w20

2018-08-31_22.32.32.jpg

I am very familiar with Valvoline synthetic oils.
In your instance of dilution and long OCIs early-on with this engine, I would limit those future OCIs using Valvoline 0w20 to 7K. I would cut the OCI length even more, if your dipstick reading at only 1.5K is showing black oil on the dipstick. I'll bet that engine is a little dirty, for being under 50K on the odometer.

Last edited:
I doubt it's dirty inside. Dark oil means that it's working and cleaning.

@ RamFan, what oil filter are you using?

Not sure how you plan on raising the flashpoint if you're getting some minor fuel dilution as soon as you pour in fresh oil and start the engine. Haha.

I don't doubt it's a little dirty inside. Look at his prior OCI lengths and dilution concerns
Pennzoil Platinum 5W20 would be my next choice. Better oil as a dilution fighter, with just a teeny-weeny uptick in viscosity index.

Not here to argue this. Just giving my opinion / two pennies..... what I would do next. If my dipstick shows black using Valvoline at 1.5K, I'd cut the next OCI to 5K. Then re-evaluate it again later. Maybe even tighten up the oil filter selection next time also. Something better in efficiency.

One thing at a time, to get the engine nuts & bolts to better & cleaner. I'm a nut about this, being first & last owner of my vehicles. If this is a lease, or a vehicle that will get traded-in in 150K, then I wouldn't care what I ran in it.

Fuel dilution is common on the highest compression mass produced engine in the world. Not a concern, just make sure the oil is good and hot (as with any UOA) before taking the sample.
Skyactive = GREAT engine and will treat you well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Artem
I doubt it's dirty inside. Dark oil means that it's working and cleaning.

@ RamFan, what oil filter are you using?

Not sure how you plan on raising the flashpoint if you're getting some minor fuel dilution as soon as you pour in fresh oil and start the engine. Haha.

So far I've used a Mazda filter, 2 Fram Ultras, 1 Mobil EP and 2 PureOnes.

It's definitely not dirty inside, at least through the fill hole, looks spotless. I have no performance issues either.

I'm hoping that if I shorten it just enough I can get it out of the sump before it hits 385. If not, I'm not too concerned as long as all else stays the same.

Originally Posted by alarmguy
Fuel dilution is common on the highest compression mass produced engine in the world. Not a concern, just make sure the oil is good and hot (as with any UOA) before taking the sample.
Skyactive = GREAT engine and will treat you well.

Great point about the hot sample, I forgot to mention that this was a cold sample. The rest were hot but unfortunately I couldn't pull a hot sample this time.

Great report. I don't go past 5k on anything but thats6my hang up. I wouldn't change a thing since wear numbers are low.

I'd switch to M1 AFE 0w30 on this and continue with 8k-10k oil change intervals like you're doing. Fuel dilution is there, enough to reduce viscosity to "yellow warning" levels (kv100 below 7) on a diet of 0w20. M1 AFE 0w30 will convert to a 0w20 in 5,000 miles or so under those conditions and you'll have enough viscosity left to make it to the next oil change.
Also, no reason to use any other oil filter but the best one: Fram Ultra, costs about the same and performs better. Why use anything else?

I'm running m1 afe 0w30 in my '17 cx-5 2.5g. Very smooth. I swear startup sounds quieter than it did on the mazda with moly oil.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Was this the older version of Synpower? I noticed there's no moly.

It looks that way. Notice the sodium. Probably old stock.

Yes, this is plain Jane SynPower purchased about 2 years ago. This is not either the Advanced or Modern Engine brew.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Nice report.

I buying the same vehicle soon. What octane do you use in your 2.5L SkyActiv engine ?

I use 87. There are some owners that I know have stepped up to 89 or 91 and claim to see increased mileage. I owned a '14 CX-5 and tried a couple tanks of 89 and saw no difference in economy so I've stuck with 87 ever since.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Nice report.

I buying the same vehicle soon. What octane do you use in your 2.5L SkyActiv engine ?

I'm not the member you asked but I run Shell V Nitro premium. In my area with lots of hills I noticed the performance was much better than running 87. The computers adjust the timing and whatever else I'm sure.

I also set the tire pressures to 36psi all around. My fuel economy average is now at 30.1mpg mixed. I've seen 35 plus on the freeway.

Nice results, I'd probably drop back down to 5k though.

I have the 2.0L with 53k. I've only used 89 or higher octane and M1 0w20 since new. Doesn't burn any oil and oil is always golden color. I have not done a UOA. Synpower is a good oil. I'd continue to use it and just keep the intervals lower.

I'd also try and use 89 or higher octane and see if that changes anything.

Originally Posted by RamFan

Yes, this is plain Jane SynPower purchased about 2 years ago. This is not either the Advanced or Modern Engine brew.

Being plain jane SynPower isn't the focus of aqua's or Pim's observations. SynPower has since changed formula to deal with LSPI. Moly has been added, Magnesium increased at the expense of Calcium and Sodium. This change has been made across their entire range since even Valvoline Daily Protection meets SN Plus (also a LSPI fostered formula change).

Unfortunately, SynPower has also had a name change. It's now called Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back