SynPower 0w20 - 9,455 miles - CX5 w/ 2.5l

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was expecting this UOA to show high fuel like in UOA #2 as it was driven during the same time of year and for nearly the same mileage. However, I did take this sample directly after a 70ish mile commute, so perhaps the excess fuel evaporated out of the oil on the drive home. With the exception of a low flash point, this is a rather boring (Yay!) UOA. I'd like to get the flash point up into the targeted area so I'm dropping the OCI to 8,500 and seeing how it fares. As I mentioned in this thread Mazda decreased the maximum OCI from 10k to 7.5k and I suspect that's due to fuel dilution.

OCI history is as follows:

0 - 1,169 - Factory Fill
1,169 - 10,120 - Mag1 0w20
10,120 - 19,949 - Mobil Super Syn 0w20
19,949 - 30,031 - Mobil 1 EP 0w20
30,031 - 39,486 - SynPower 0w20
39,486 - Present - SynPower 0w20

Anyone curious where the spike in Titanium came from when the Mobil Super Syn was used from 10,120-19,949 miles? I've never seen any of the Mobil 1 oils using that level of titanium (even though this is the Super Syn version) and the previous UOA had 0 PPM present. I'm wondering if they used titanium and that's why there's nominal levels present or if Blackstone was off on their calibration/analysis?

Overall good UOA, looks like it can do 9000 mile OCI with good results and remaining TBN. Thanks for the post!

Originally Posted By: Analyzer
Anyone curious where the spike in Titanium came from when the Mobil Super Syn was used from 10,120-19,949 miles? I've never seen any of the Mobil 1 oils using that level of titanium (even though this is the Super Syn version) and the previous UOA had 0 PPM present. I'm wondering if they used titanium and that's why there's nominal levels present or if Blackstone was off on their calibration/analysis?

Overall good UOA, looks like it can do 9000 mile OCI with good results and remaining TBN. Thanks for the post!

Haha, I was wondering when someone was going to ask that! I've been topping off with Castrol Edge 0w20 which as anyone not living under a rock knows, contains titanium.

You will see both titanium and moly in your next uoa if the Valvoline you put in was newer stock. Big chunk of boron too. They completely changed their formula.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
You have a real low flash point I have a feeling your fuel dilution reading in this test is questionable.

If I'm not mistaken, Blackstone typically has a lower fuel % than is actually there. I think it has something to do with their method of testing.

Though I don't think their findings are inconsistent with my other UOAs, I gave the Trace samples a value of .1 and came up with the following graph. I'd say the flashpoint to fuel percentage trend is quite linear. Until I get the flashpoint up where it should be though, I won't be completely satisfied, once the flashpoint is good I'll know that the fuel percentage is at an acceptable level.

Last edited:
Good metal wear rates despite of fuel dilution.
Are makeup oil requirements and use of xW20 here related?
Or its peculiar to SkyActiv engine?

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
I think it's amazing how well Mag1 did during run-In.

Yes Mag1 has caught my eye before

Originally Posted By: PimTac
You will see both titanium and moly in your next uoa if the Valvoline you put in was newer stock. Big chunk of boron too. They completely changed their formula.

I'm still using the old batch, however, I have a jug of SynPower w/ Maxlife Technology that's sitting on the shelf for the OCI after this. I'm curious to see what that contains.
Originally Posted By: zeng
Good metal wear rates despite of fuel dilution.
Are makeup oil requirements and use of xW20 here related?
Or its peculiar to SkyActiv engine?

0w20 is the specified viscosity from Mazda for the U.S. and Canadian market. Half a quart of top off oil between OCIs that are approximately 9k miles isn't unusual. Technically it's not needed but I prefer the oil to be at the full mark versus simply in the target range.
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
I think it's amazing how well Mag1 did during run-In.

It's definitely a sleeper oil. I ordered from Amazon while it was $18.29 for a 5qt jug, it's now going for $27.44.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back