Syn blend protection @4000 mi oci

With an Ecoboost 2.3, would I be getting the same level of protection with 4000 oci"s as I would 7500 mi oci"s using synthetic? I really like Havoline oil and the blend is a few dollars cheaper than full syn.

With an Ecoboost 2.3, would I be getting the same level of protection with 4000 oci"s as I would 7500 mi oci"s using synthetic? I really like Havoline oil and the blend is a few dollars cheaper than full syn.

I would compute a cost per mile as a economical comparison. The synthetic might be cheaper.

Without a UOA, I don't think anyone can answer your question about equal protection for those scenarios. The results would depend on the specific brand and flavor of oil, your vehicle, your usage and driving habits, etc. But let's assume you are getting equal protection... I suggest you check the cost basis: shorter OCIs on cheaper syn blend -VS- nearly 2x distance OCIs on [only slightly more expensive] full syn. In other words, the blend may be only a few dollars cheaper than full syn, but your OCI is only 54% of the distance you're suggesting on full syn. I don't think the few dollars savings is worth the *much* shorter service interval.
EDIT: PimTac said it much more concisely than I did. Thank you.

Without a UOA, I don't think anyone can answer your question about equal protection for those scenarios. The results would depend on the specific brand and flavor of oil, your vehicle, your usage and driving habits, etc. But let's assume you are getting equal protection... I suggest you check the cost basis: shorter OCIs on cheaper syn blend -VS- nearly 2x distance OCIs on [only slightly more expensive] full syn. In other words, the blend may be only a few dollars cheaper than full syn, but your OCI is only 54% of the distance you're suggesting on full syn. I don't think the few dollars savings is worth the *much* shorter service interval.
EDIT: PimTac said it much more concisely than I did. Thank you.
One reason I was curious is I read where the shorter the oci the better it is with Ecoboost and other turbo's. I use pretty much all Havoline oil products. The blend feels like it runs smoother and quieter (if thats even possible)

One reason I was curious is I read where the shorter the oci the better it is with Ecoboost and other turbo's. I use pretty much all Havoline oil products. The blend feels like it runs smoother and quieter (if thats even possible)
The TGDI effects (soot, potential fuel dilution, etc) are factors I did not consider in my reply. Good point. If you plan to keep the vehicle long-term, maybe shorter OCIs on syn blend are the way to go.

The TGDI effects (soot, potential fuel dilution, etc) are factors I did not consider in my reply. Good point. If you plan to keep the vehicle long-term, maybe shorter OCIs on syn blend are the way to go.
I hate smelling fuel in the oil. Just seems wrong. I guess thats why they use a 6qt pan.

Most motor craft oil is a synthetic blend what kind of oci does ford recommend or do they go off an oil life monitor?

I would want full synthetic oil in anything with a turbo and still change at 4,000 miles. The incremental cost is nothing in the whole scope of ownership.

I settled on 7500+- as my change interval (2.7 Ecoboost) after having a UOA done on Motorcraft 5w30 semi syn. It's good oil. The highest mileage Ecoboost I'm aware of (again...a 2.7) had 465,000 miles on it at trade. He ran the Motorcraft 5w30 semi syn and changed it when the OLM told him to, which worked out to every 10,000 miles.

I settled on 7500+- as my change interval (2.7 Ecoboost) after having a UOA done on Motorcraft 5w30 semi syn. It's good oil. The highest mileage Ecoboost I'm aware of (again...a 2.7) had 465,000 miles on it at trade. He ran the Motorcraft 5w30 semi syn and changed it when the OLM told him to, which worked out to every 10,000 miles.

I was changing the Motorcraft at 5,500-6,000 miles in my 3.5 EB, I knew I could have went longer but never did, I agree it's good oil.

Back