Swore I'd never do it again, but....C&P, FE-7317, 15657mi, 3 OCI

Swore I was never going to do another filter C&P but I broke down and bought a tool to cut the can off of the jungle river site for a little under $30 shipped with Prime. I guess I just had to know what, if anything, was in the pleats. The filter cutter took the can off super easy. The additional steps you see here involved significant additional chaos as I tried to separate the media from the metal endcaps and center tube by using the various pliers seen in the photo.

This Fram Endurance 7317 was installed on my wife's 2018 Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 for a 11 months and a day or two, 15,657 miles and 3 OCI of roughly 5000+ miles each. Exact mileage in usage, 65549 to 81206 miles. I didn't get the exact mileage of each OCI but they were pretty roughly spaced out around 5000-5300 mile OCIs. Generally speaking, the vehicle has had a steady diet of 5K OCI with full synthetic 0w20 since new. First 35K of changes were done at the selling dealership (free) with bulk 0w20 and Ecoguard filters. Since then, I have changed it every 5K with ProDS 5w20 and Supertech, Fram OCD, Fram Endurance, Kia OEM (lol) and I forget what other filters.

The manual of course specs 0w20, but says 5w20 is acceptable if 0w20 is not available with the caveat to switch back to 0w20 at the earliest possibility. Which of course I feel no urgency to do as we live in Central Texas and observed temperatures for the last 11 months ranged from lower teens F in January 2024 to 108ish F in the summer of 2023. In other words nowhere near the -30C rating of the 5w in 5w20.

I was going to run it for the full 25000 miles that Fram rates these things for, but I chickened out. I was at the parts store dumping out and the STP Extended Life 7317 variant looked interesting so I picked one up, probably will run it 2 OCI and cut that one open. But it appears that I neednt have worried about the Endurance for 25K as the filter looked perfect after 15K and there was nothing of note in the pleats, I examined them all with a flashlight before the mayhem of destroying the media enclosure ensured. The ADBV was very soft and pliable. The bypass spring was strong, it was difficult to push it out. Overall, pleased with the state of this filter after 15K of usage and it looks like it could have gone longer. I may consider extended OCI after the factory powertrain warranty expires at 100K.

Bonus surprise, media backing is metal. I was expecting plastic.

0-fancynewtool.jpg
1-topofcan.jpg
2-chaos-scene.jpg
3-can-inside.jpg
4-louvers-outside.jpg
5-louvers-inside.jpg
6-adbv-base-side.jpg
7-adbv-filter-side.jpg
8-base-inside.jpg
9-base-outside.jpg

Last edited:
You just couldn't help yourself, could you? You need to seek counseling because the potential to get much worse exists.

It starts harmlessly enough with an inexpensive filter cutter... and the next thing you know you're going to the auto parts stores and digging in their trash can that's back by the recycled oil container, looking for old filters of unknown history.

You'll take a filter from a total stranger... just so you can cut it open. Dark alleys, shady side of town, it makes no difference. You've become the addict that your mother warned you about.

I cut open a Fram Ultra yesterday due to recent trends. It was fine and in really good shape. I didnt bother to take photos. Its nice to be able to get confirmation if things are working as they should. In general, Mitsubishi has made pretty ok cars the past 10 years. Thank you for the c&p.

Thanks for the C&P. Filter looks good.

This is why I refuse to buy a cutter. My entire stash of new filters would be in pieces in no time.
the big problem is the mess of pictures you will have in your camera roll. I need to go purge mine because there is more oil filter photos in there then family stuff.

Last edited:
I cut open a Fram Ultra yesterday due to recent trends. It was fine and in really good shape. I didnt bother to take photos. Its nice to be able to get confirmation if things are working as they should. In general, Mitsubishi has made pretty ok cars the past 10 years. Thank you for the c&p.
For me I was more wondering if I could really take it farther, now that most have determined the Endurance to be constructed like the old Ultra with wire backed media. Yes it was and I would have been comfortable to take this filter farther. But too late for that now.

Leaving the filter on makes oil changes extremely fast and easy, and not messy to boot which the wifey appreciates. Yes I know, I'm leaving a half pint or so of the old oil in there, but I really really don't care in the least. The oil was still a medium amber when it came out with 5K, it also looks like it could have gone longer, but I've never done UOA on this vehicle. If I extend after the warranty is up, I will probably do a baseline UOA.

...Bonus surprise, media backing is metal. I was expecting plastic.....
Afaik, all the Champ Labs made FE spin on anecdotes previously posted here have shown wire backing. M&H Wix/Puro are the ones using polymer backing for their synthetic media filters.

Filter looks good at 15k miles, like it got the job done.

Thanks for c&p.

Thanks for the C&P. Filter looks good.

This is why I refuse to buy a cutter. My entire stash of new filters would be in pieces in no time.
That's what I did, I bought a cutter, I cut my filters and my neighbors filters, I wasn't concerned about mine, but I had to reimburse her for her filters that I cut.. LMAO, I just received my 1st Premium Guard delivered here yesterday, if it wasn't for so many I've seen cut open on this site it would probably already be in pieces..

Dang, if you Filter Cutters had canister filters you'd prob be pulling them out weekly to see how they are doing! :D

Endurance line is a champs lab filter. Same filters as the Amsoil and royal purple. They just stuck a Fram logo on it and painted it blue to sell on WM shelves.
Good Morning Brandon,
In addition, WalMart offers it for a more affordable price than Amsoil and Royal Purple which I believe is significant.
For my application the Endurance is $12.97 at WalMart and the Royal Purple is $18.99 at O'Reilly's, an incredible $6.02 less for the same filter.

Last edited:
the big problem is the mess of pictures you will have in your camera roll. I need to go purge mine because there is more oil filter photos in there then family stuff.

Those C&P oil filter photos have become part of your family……….😎

Back