Switching to syn. at 272816 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
I personally would not take the risk of trying out a synthetic at such high miles, but please report back to tell us if you have any leaks, higher oil consumption etc.
"Risk" ?

Risk of causing oil leaks and such.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Synthetic what? Do you know what the Pearl GTL finshed base is? It's not di-ester and its not PAO so how can you apply old tales to new tech?

Plus most ALL pcmo are majority "synthetic" if you use the oil industry advertising terminology of hydrocracked + hydroisomerized.

Riveting story.

Blown up any engines in the last week?

Originally Posted By: jayg
Originally Posted By: tig1
Certainly make extreme cold starts much easier.

Started the same this morning at -11F as it ever did on 10w40 dino.

Then what's the purpose of your thread?

I think he's trying to show that switching to synthetic at high miles is NOT a bad thing
smile.gif

Certainly make extreme cold starts much easier.

Started the same this morning at -11F as it ever did on 10w40 dino.

Then what's the purpose of your thread?

You think I'd make a thread saying I switched to a synth 5w30 and it starts better than a dino 10w40 at cold temps? What revelation does that bring to the table? You almost seem upset that I didn't reply with "Yeah it starts way faster now and I have a ton more power and the engine is way quieter!"

My purpose for the thread as stated is that I'll update if it starts leaking or consuming any oil at an appreciable and also compare UOAs from the dino and synthetic when I get them in.

Like I said in my OP, I have a feeling this thread is going to be a lot of people echoing that sentiment and that's not a surprise.

You already said you would be addressing any leaks, so I'm not sure what anyone else could want with a bunch of naysaying.

Good luck jayg. From what I understand those old Toyota sixes are about like a small block Chevy, they're happy as long as they've got oil in them. I've put synthetic in older, high mileage engines before and haven't witnessed higher consumption or leaks. The only thing I've ever seen really drink oil is my grandmother's '02 Chevy 2500 HD pickup with the Vortec 8.1, and it drank any thing lighter than a forty weight, regardless of whether it was synthetic or conventional. Actually, doing a 70/30 blend of 10W-30 and 10W-40 is what slowed the consumption down.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Like I said in my OP, I have a feeling this thread is going to be a lot of people echoing that sentiment and that's not a surprise.

You already said you would be addressing any leaks, so I'm not sure what anyone else could want with a bunch of naysaying.

I would addressing leaks if they occur and report if they are after the change. By conventional wisdom, every one of my seals should start leaking almost immediately according to some on here.

My point was that people take these things as gospel. It WILL cause leaks. It WILL consume more. Are we certain? Does that still happen? When was the last time somebody switched at 300k miles and recorded the results before and after on here?

Well, I'm going to give it a shot and report back honestly and I'll see what good it does one way or another. I like doing things people say won't work and showing why it did or didn't.

"Don't run 44 year old oil in your car or...." Or what? What will happen. You don't know because haven't done it yet people have opinions based on feelings or misconceptions.

Most of the time with engine oil, it just doesn't matter and that's my point.

If that's not interesting to you, then ignore my UOA's as they start coming in.

Originally Posted By: Red91
Good luck jayg. From what I understand those old Toyota sixes are about like a small block Chevy, they're happy as long as they've got oil in them. I've put synthetic in older, high mileage engines before and haven't witnessed higher consumption or leaks. The only thing I've ever seen really drink oil is my grandmother's '02 Chevy 2500 HD pickup with the Vortec 8.1, and it drank any thing lighter than a forty weight, regardless of whether it was synthetic or conventional. Actually, doing a 70/30 blend of 10W-30 and 10W-40 is what slowed the consumption down.

I just want to say that your grandmother is a bad a$$.

Originally Posted By: Garak

I would addressing leaks if they occur and report if they are after the change. By conventional wisdom, every one of my seals should start leaking almost immediately according to some on here.

My point was that people take these things as gospel. It WILL cause leaks. It WILL consume more. Are we certain? Does that still happen? When was the last time somebody switched at 300k miles and recorded the results before and after on here?

Well, I'm going to give it a shot and report back honestly and I'll see what good it does one way or another. I like doing things people say won't work and showing why it did or didn't.

"Don't run 44 year old oil in your car or...." Or what? What will happen. You don't know because haven't done it yet people have opinions based on feelings or misconceptions.

Most of the time with engine oil, it just doesn't matter and that's my point.

If that's not interesting to you, then ignore my UOA's as they start coming in.

I am all in, since I have always combined/mixed oils from different brand/viscosity and have also used old oil(sealed pack one). Facts are A LOT more important than myths.

I bet your vehicle will be just fine too. I put Castrol Syntec in a 1995 Nissan Sentra had 118k miles and it never leaked oil or burned any of it. I don't know its previous maintenance history but it still did very well on the Castrol Syntec 5w30. I put Pennzoil Platinum in my lady's Sunfire which had 112k miles. Never had a problem there either. It obvious that this vehicle has a good amount more miles but I would bet it will be just fine. Also given that you've taken such good care of the Landcruiser it will be in great shape with the Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage.

Last edited:
I am also guessing that you will be fine, but it's great that you're taking the time to do this and document the actual results. Thank you.

I have put synthetic in every vehicle I have ever owned, regardless of mileage and have never seen any ill effects i.e. "the dreaded burning, leaking".

The highest mileage to get synthetic was a 1990 Ranger I bought from my Industrial Electricity teacher. He was the original owner, ran dino since day one and changed it every 10k since the day he bought it. I bought it from him with 220k, and sold it years later with 290k. I still miss that truck. It took everything I ever gave it and then some. Had the old irom 4.0 V6.

Any reason you elected to drop viscosity by 50%? Everyone is making it a conventional/synthetic discussion while overlooking this important fact...

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Any reason you elected to drop viscosity by 50%? Everyone is making it a conventional/synthetic discussion while overlooking this important fact...

Because that's what Pennzoil sent me for free. 5w20/5w30/10w30 were the choices. In my climate I went with 5w30.

Let's watch and see. My guess is my engine, which is almost directly descendant from the design of a 1930's Chevy Stovebolt Six, won't give a [censored].

Let's watch and see. My guess is my engine, which is almost directly descendant from the design of a 1930's Chevy Stovebolt Six, won't give a [censored].

Very true.

What exactly does the OM say out of curiosity?

These are great old trucks and the six is an old-school Toyota engine, simple and strong.
You won't see much difference in using this oil.
It may be a tad thinner or it may have similar HTHS. I'm too lazy to go to the RDS site to find out.
I'll be interested in reading what you find with this new oil.
There is nothing magical about a Grp III GTL that will cause anything extraordinary to happen either way.
The lower volatility might or might not bring lower consumption and any leaks will not get any worse using this oil.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Very true.

What exactly does the OM say out of curiosity?

5w30 dino.

So this 5w30 HM full synth should go 18 months and 6-7k with no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back