Switching to syn. at 272816 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jayg
Hope is great place to hunt and fish in the summer. Pretty dead in the winter but still beautiful. Come back this way one day and I'll buy you a beer as we watch my truck weep synthetic tears on the trail.

I don't drink, but I'll fish. It might be a good idea not to drink. If you address any leaks and we're waiting for a wave of oil, we might go through too many.

Winter might be dead there. It isn't exactly a street party around here, either.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak

Winter might be dead there. It isn't exactly a street party around here, either.
wink.gif

Just across the Turnagain arm in Girdwood at the ski resort it's a party all winter!

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Or just flapping your numb jawbones, sweetpea?

Brutal.

Originally Posted By: Bighorn2500

Yeah it's free but, just seems late in the game now for the age and mileage of the vehicle to me.

It's not just because it's free. It's for all the other reasons I listed.

Switching from PHM to PPHM might not be much of a jump. Isn't PHM half synthetic anyways?

Originally Posted By: Run
Switching from PHM to PPHM might not be much of a jump. Isn't PHM half synthetic anyways?

No it's conventional (not a blend) 10w40 to full synth 5w30.

From their site:
Pennzoil® High Mileage® motor oil is a Pennzoil conventional motor oil that has been enhanced with a unique combination of special conditioning agents and additives to help stop leaks from seals and reduce the oil consumption that is typical of older, worn engines. It’s a motor oil specifically designed for new or late model vehicles with over 75,000 miles, with the mission of keeping engines running clean and going strong.

Nice truck!

I think you're fine with the switch and would have done it years ago!

I have the "big brother" of each of your cars (Prius and an FJ80)

Also had an 82 Supra back in the day
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX
Nice truck!

I think you're fine with the switch and would have done it years ago!

I have the "big brother" of each of your cars (Prius and an FJ80)

Also had an 82 Supra back in the day
smile.gif

Nice. The Prius is my wife's and the road trip car. I actually had an fj80 for several years but prefer the 60 more. Three pedals and roll up windows is more of my thing.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Keep an eye on the filter

How?

My oil pressure dropped. The OP gauge was sluggish.

[/quote]

The "risk" of me hitting a moose is much higher then me ruining an engine with a case of fully synthetic oil. If it all leaks out and destroys itself then after 30 years and 272k miles, it owed me nothing and was time for a rebuild anyway.

Trying synthetic at this stage in the trucks life doesn't bring me an adrenaline rush like bungee jumping unfortunately. It's much more boring than that but I'm mildly interested in the outcome and some others might be as well. [/quote]

I would take my chances with the Moose, rather than RISK the engine, just to entertain a few here on this site.

I agree on bungee jumping though, I like it boring.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: virginoil

I would take my chances with the Moose, rather than RISK the engine, just to entertain a few here on this site.

I agree on bungee jumping though, I like it boring.

Honestly, the chances of me totaling the truck on the Parks Highway is exponentially higher than me (ruining?) a 30 year old motor with high quality free oil.

Also, I'm not doing this to entertain a few on here. I'm doing this for me and posting the results, same with other threads. Some people don't want to see the results of actual tests and would rather just spout off outdated myths or still change oil a 3k for no reason. So,I'm interested if this fear of putting full synthetic oil in an old high mileage truck is any problem at all or if that's outdated thinking.

How candid are you really going to be, though?

Everyday on here, people talk about switching/trying a different oil, only to be disappointed; on the other hand, whenever someone reports back on one of these free oil deals, it's either incredibly glowing, or you feel like you're getting half-truths.

If it doesn't work out well, will we hear about it?

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
How candid are you really going to be, though?

Everyday on here, people talk about switching/trying a different oil, only to be disappointed; on the other hand, whenever someone reports back on one of these free oil deals, it's either incredibly glowing, or you feel like you're getting half-truths.

If it doesn't work out well, will we hear about it?

I don't work for Pennzoil. I don't care about one brand or another. I'm pretty [censored] honest in my posts one way or another and have been on here for several years. Do you trust me? Do you actually care? Do I care if you trust me or not?

It's the internet. I'll post the data and people can decide for themselves.

Ramblejam said:

And you are receiving the feedback some believe you need !
Even though you may not want or agree to some it.

Last edited:
I switch back and forth between synthetic, conventional and blends depending on oil prices, my mood and to tweak my OCI's to convenient times to change the oil... I think just changing the oil once in awhile is what really matters.

All of my cars are older and high mileage and don't seem to care much. The next oil changes will see installs of Fram Ultras which I will run for 2-3 OCI's with whatever cheap-a$$ oil I find...

Originally Posted By: virginoil
Ramblejam said:

And you are receiving the feedback some believe you need !
Even though you may not want or agree to some it.

Don't worry about me. I'm a big boy.

Just sharing what I'm doing in case others are wondering the same questions.

My first thought after reading this was why change anything since you are getting longevity and service your vehicle as is? Let us know what you see after running the synthetic for a while. If the engine is clean there are rarely any issues I have heard of.

Oil is oil, right?
Doesn't really matter what's on the label or how it's touted.
It's all in there just to lubricate the engine.
You already know that this Pennzoil product will do fine in its primary job and that there are no OMG downsides.
Too many Chicken Littles here.
The sky ain't gonna fall.
Happy trails with your old Cruiser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back