Switching to 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I've decided to switch my 2022 wrx from 0w20 to 5w30 during summer (georgia heat).

A few options I'm looking at:
Pennzoil ultra platinum
Motul 5w30
QS Ultimate protection 5w30

Thoughts? Anything else I should look into? Must meet API SP, ILSAC GF-6, and preferably dexos but not required

So, I've decided to switch my 2022 wrx from 0w20 to 5w30 during summer (georgia heat).

Pennzoil ultra platinum
Motul 5w30

Thoughts? Anything else I should look into? Must meet API SP, ILSAC GF-6, and preferably dexos but not required
Which Motul? Not sure which of their oil is ILSAC GF-6.
But, personally, I would go Euro stuff.

Which Motul? Not sure which of their oil is ILSAC GF-6.
But, personally, I would go Euro stuff.
Screenshot_20240409_205721_Chrome.jpg

I don't think a Euro oil can meet GF-6A even because of the high HTHS, or none of them seem to, at least.

M1 ESP 5W-30 seems like a good choice. API SP plus all the relevant Euro approvals. Personally I'd just run M1 FS 0W-40, but I run that in everything.

Mobil 1 oils can withstand engine temps of up to 500 degrees. Why do you feel 0w20 isn’t worthy?
I'm just worried about excess wear from running 0w20 when oil temps get 212-230 often here in the georgia summers. How do you find what temps oils can get to?

Pennzoil ultra platinum
Motul 5w30

It doesn't matter and won't do anything for you if you switch from an ILSAC 0W-20 to an ILSAC 5W-30. If you want an improvement then switch to something like Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30 or 5W-30, or something similar, like PP Euro LX 0W-30, PP Euro L 5W-30, etc. Otherwise just stay with a quality 0W-20.

If you want to use one of the oils provided in your list, then PUP 5W-30 is the way to go. Castrol EDGE EP is another great choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back