Switching from M1 to MC 5W20. Any issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the old days, the legend was that switching from a syn to anything else caused bad things to happen to the seals etc.

I'm switching back to MC Semi Ssyn 5w20 after running M1 for 10K miles (car has 14K). I'm expecting some increased consumtion or should it not consume any? I change it too often and I'm too cheap to keep wasting oil.

Anything to look out for? Or don't do it?

Thanks1

How much did you use in 10,000 miles? Just change it but don't go 10,000 on MC.

Last edited:
It is not unheard of for a brand/type of oil change to result in some initial consumption. Other than that, you should be fine.

What type of vehicle?

Originally Posted By: tig1
How much did you use in 10,000 miles? Just change it but don't go 10,000 on MC.

Not much, if any. The dipstick is not calibrated right. Even when I do a change and put 6 qts in it is either in 5/8 or 3/4 of the way up in the crosshatched area.

Why the change? I've noticed increased valvetrain noise in cold weather with the M1 until op temp is reached. Some say it might be piston slap.

I figure I'll change to MC and see if the noise goes away. MC is so cheap around here and it has recieved such good reviews.

So I figured I'd ask the experts here.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Your hair will fall out I shave it off anyway ,

the garage door won't work The brother in law is a millwright. need a new one anyway , but your bank account will go up. Bonus!!!

To my knowledge these engines are not know for piston slap. My 4.6 2v was always quite on start even after 218,000 miles.

To my knowledge these engines are not know for piston slap. My 4.6 2v was always quite on start even after 218,000 miles.

Yeah I've heard the same but this one sure sounds like it. It is a metallic sound until it warms up. Didn't drive it last winter so I have no basis for comparison. I'm new to the whole OHC world.

Maybe an accessory noise. Many hear noise from an engine and think it's internal engine noise when it's just an engine accessory of some sort. That happened to me once. I removed the belt and started the engine and it was as quite as could be. My problem turned out to be the tensioner pulley. Just a thought.

stick with m1, me and a lot of courier drivers use m1 oil. My boss ran a ford and a chevy van over 750,000 miles on m1. dont run the blends, its a waste of money and u still got dino oil,,maybe 10 or 15 percent is synth. mixed in..................

u know, some folks buy oil because of the pretty color of the bottle,,kind of like fishing lures, if it looks good in the tacklebox,,try it,,,,,,,,,,,,,ride on, its ur engine............................what do I know.........i just use m1, read the data, it works...............for me..

Ever notice Mobil needs alot of explaining it could be this or it might be that, I have an uncle that does not have any trouble, I have used this for 31 yrs blah blah.Me I stay clear of any oil that needs to be explained. Oil is too simple these days keep it simple..
21.gif

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
Ever notice Mobil needs alot of explaining it could be this or it might be that, I have an uncle that does not have any trouble, I have used this for 31 yrs blah blah.Me I stay clear of any oil that needs to be explained. Oil is too simple these days keep it simple..
21.gif

There are times engine noise does come from accessories, especially at start up. Inexperienced motorist may not realize that. I have learned a lot from the many years I have worked on engines. Some of it has even been helpful.

Last edited:
I've got the 4.6 3V in my F150. It makes no noise at all. Just did the first OC this weekend with MC oil and filter. Even starting it up with a new empty oil filter made no clatter, and it had been sitting all night.

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
21.gif

There are times engine noise does come from accessories, especially at start up. Inexperienced motorist may not realize that. I have learned a lot from the many years I have worked on engines. Some of it has even been helpful.

That's a good question. From my experience with pushrod engines (28 high performance cars, 16 engine builds and 6 race engines) this is not accessory noise. I have to admit this is my first OHC motor and the first with VVT and the differences are evident.

I am not a chemical engineer and have used M1 since 1989 in all of my "toys" and drivers. Up until this point, I have had zero issues with M1. I have never gone back to a dino or semi dino once I have run M1. That is my question. The legend was that once you run a syn oil you should not go back. Screws up the seals, gaskets etc. Conceptually, I suppose it would be fine but I thought I would ask the experts.

Semi Syn oils were not even considereed in my circles. Once you run one stick with it was the mantra. Semi syns were considered a compromise. Things have changed and it is the 21st century. Ford specifies the MC blend and I figured I'd go with what I have in the past, which is a "better" oil and I start hearing strange noises. Maybe the full syn is too thin, too good, and not taking up tolerances until the engine heats up. Again, I am not an engineer. But noise is not neccessarily a death rattle. I know what that sounds like.

I guess I will find out the answer to my question once I tear it down in a few years and see what it looks like.

Last edited:
Since you are mechanically inclined just remove the belt and try it. Of course I can't say that's for sure what your problem is but you never know till you try.
However you may have a valve lash adjuster a little weak on start up that may never be cured until you replace it. My daughter had a Ford Probe with that problem. Most every time you started the engine cold it would tick for a short time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back