Switching filter boxes at Walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always like to check my oil filter's gasket before I buy it, so usually I hate it when the boxes are sealed somehow. Lately I'm understanding why... The last few times I've been to my local walmart I've seen a Puro Classic in a Bosch D+ box! So now instead of paying $12 for a D+, they're paying $3.27! I think that's so messed up. Talk about making your own "Oil Change Special" from walmart.

Last edited:
And yet they check both shoes to make sure they're the size listed on the box.

That happened to me about 20yrs ago at another department store I bought a Fram oil filter at. Ames dept store. Long ago closed up. Got it home to discover a yellow Pennzoil filter in the Fram box. I've always checked them since, although department stores that carry filters are basically a thing of the past now. I miss having that option.

Joel

Sams Club use to ask to open the box of stuff and look inside to see if I stashed a 10 carat diamond inside. I hated that. I wanted to get the box home unopened since it left the manufacturer.

I blame U-Scan for it. Without shame or fear of having a cashier catch them, anything can be bought for $.59 a lb. - or $.27 should a felt sticker be around.

Originally Posted By: JTK
That happened to me about 20yrs ago at another department store I bought a Fram oil filter at. Ames dept store. Long ago closed up. Got it home to discover a yellow Pennzoil filter in the Fram box.

That wasn't such a bad thing though, because historically the Pennzoil filter has always been either a rebadged Fram or a rebadged Purolator, so you either got what you originally wanted, or something better!
smile.gif

It happens everywhere. I bought an STP at AZ a couple weeks ago. A new store, been open about a week, and the thought never crossed my mind to look in the box. Got it home, and it was a Purolator filter inside with the Puro name and P/N on it, and was not the correct filter. I took it back. Interesting that even though the store was only open a week, they could not track the inventory to what day it was originally purchased, or returned, or what store employee conducted the transaction, or restocked the item without checking it. I bet if I went back there today, it's back on the shelf again for another ride on the merry go round.

Originally Posted By: Patman

That wasn't such a bad thing though, because historically the Pennzoil filter has always been either a rebadged Fram or a rebadged Purolator, so you either got what you originally wanted, or something better!
smile.gif

I know.. Funny isn't it? If I remember correctly, it was indeed a yellow Purolator, but I freaked out and returned it for a Fram anyway! I didn't know any better at the time. Scary thing is, that had to be the late 1980's. More like 25yrs ago.

Joel

Last edited:
Before I buy a filter I always open up the box and inspect its contents.

A couple years ago I bought a Bosch Premium oil filter at O'Reilly's. When I got home, it was just generic black. No writing on it at all. They kindly took it back and said people try to cheat them and other customers like myself all the time like that.

O'Reilly does seem to keep some of the higher end filters behind the counters, perhaps this is why.

Last edited:
Bought a K&N oil filter last month at autozone.. Mechanic at the Infiniti dealer asked why I gave him fram orange in the KN box.. My car was on the rack, so I walked back to AZ, and they exchanged it... There is no honor..

Tonight, glancing through a local WM's wall of Fram, I did notice an empty box. The selection is so poor, though, I wouldn't be able to find a filter for my G, let alone the wrong one in the right box.

Oddly enough, there was a brand new Bosch filtration products catalog sitting on the shelf. With any luck, with you guys down south getting Purolator at WM, perhaps we'll get Bosch at our Walmarts. I'm not fussy. I don't need a D+. I'll gladly take any Bosch Premiums at a reasonable price.

For giggles, I enquired to a Chinese company on line to buy filters for my Nissan, as the Nissan filters $35-40...

This mob, using South Korean Paper, offered me 500 filters, FOB, for $1.08 US each...freight for my free sample was $45 IIRC, so I dropped the idea (only made the enquiry for the free sample).

Part of the offer was that the box could be printed how I wanted it (could be my name, shop, ebay ID, whatever)...or could be printed as a genuine Nissan filter.

That changed my impression about new, unopened boxes

I think a lot of people will cheat the store and get a low grade filter and replace it with a better one and pay the lower prise. Just like people will take extra coupons for a lower price on oil......

Originally Posted By: rszappa1
I think a lot of people will cheat the store and get a low grade filter and replace it with a better one and pay the lower prise. Just like people will take extra coupons for a lower price on oil......

You call it cheating, I call it THEFT.

Originally Posted By: Ayrton
O'Reilly does seem to keep some of the higher end filters behind the counters, perhaps this is why.

Yep,they keep the Wix ones for my car behind the counter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back