switch to mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would it be appropriate to drain out 3 quarts of honda atf and fill with 3 quarts of mobil 1 atf. Repeat this process a few times over a few months. No filter or pan drop. Compatabilty problems? Also should I add a black bottle of lube quard to the mobil 1?

Does your transmission require Honda's own ATF or any Dexron (probably II or III) ATF?

If Dexron, Mobil 1 is excellent. If Honda, you might have a problem with Mobil 1 that can be cured with the Lubegard HFM black bottle supplement. I just used Schaeffer #204S ATF with Lubegard black in a '98 Honda transmission, and it's working very well.

Ken

I never had dirty tranny fluid and have always changed the fluid every year or so. I have also used generic dexron, Castrol Syntec ATF( before fiasco) , Semi Synthtetic, and tech2000 synthetic. The Honda ATFZ1 produces, smoother shifts and is incredibly much quieter than all of the others. I have only flushed twice with it and each flush produces better results. The third flush would complete the process and that is coming at the end of the summer. I bet it gets better yet. My tranny shifts better now than when I got the car 3 years old.

Stick with the ATFZ1 and forget all the other stuff.

BTW, have you flushed your PSF yet? Was your steering real heavy in the cold last winter? Guess what fixed it - and ONLY use Honda PSF.

10 years ago I stayed away from OEM as I thought it was a ripoff, well you learn a few things.

If the transmission is working properly, there is no need for additives.

The switchover over a few months is acceptable(or easier just to do at every oil change).
Regular maintenance will still be needed regardless of fluid used.

You could have easily kept everything in one thread
grin.gif

I hope that your transmission enjoys a long life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back