Switch or stay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 96 Cherokee 4.0 has 95K on it, and is currently in the cleaning phase of AutoRX treament.
I've always run Castrol GTX 10W30, until the past year, when I started using Chevron Supreme 10W30.
The Jeep uses no oil at all, no burning, no leaking.
Is it worth it to switch to a synthetic after the rinse phase, or does it make sense to stick with what's working? I plan to keep it until it dies one day, and to put that day off as long as I can.
But I can't see myself extending oil change intervals much beyond 5K. I get antsy at 3K now and change it.

I drive 14 miles on the freeway to work and 14 back each day, and around town in Seattle and the Eastside on the weekends.
Thanks

Sounds like you've had pretty good luck thus far. I'd stick with the good (and cheap) dino.

There are a few guys on the board with the Jeep six that might want to chime in...

mr

The vehicle I use where I work is a 95 Cherokee that presently has 201,200 miles on it. It's the 4.0l with an automatic. It only gets PM every 6 months and the oil used is Exxon XD-3 15w-40 with Fram PH-16 oil filters. The transmission has never been serviced with the original trans fluid and filter still in it. Not a trace of red left in the trans fluid color. Alternators, water pumps, fuel pumps and starters go but the motor and trans keep on going strong, still a hard charging vehicle. I put 20,000 miles a year on it so it gets its oil changed every 10,000 miles. It also runs all the time in the winter so I have some heat so lots off idling time also.

[ June 03, 2004, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: Frank D ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back