Swapped my driveworks filters for something better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hearing horror stories about them, and just the fact they didn't have a good reputation overall, and the fact that they are built in China, I just couldn't feel comfortable hanging onto them and using them on my vehicle(s).

AAP was very very helpful and I ended up swapping both DW filters for a Puro Classic and a PureOne (plus about $5 out of pocket).

Not bad at all.

I'd say make the switch, the guys at AAP both said the DW filters were pretty much trash.
smile.gif

Watch for sales, rebates and promo codes on AAP's website. I have scored some good deals on great filters that way. IMO Driveworks, STP, Fram, and Microguard are all low end junk. They can be run for short OCI's, but if you watch for the deals you can get better filters for the same or many times less cost.

banana2.gif

I've missed the "horror stories", can't recall seeing or reading about a defective one here. The DW dissections posted here and on youtube look decent, even using the more expensive coil retainer spring, and they have a separate dome end bypass.
21.gif

It's true they are made in China so for some that's at least one strike against them, for others it's three. And afaik, there's no information on the DW's efficiency.

I agree though that with the many reasonably priced US made filters like the Classic and P1 you got, not much sense in going to the low end DW. However, I would be as confident using the DW as a part of inexpensive oil/filter promo sale as I would the black can MG or an STP, moreso if the latter was an ecore.

I don't put much faith in what the employees at AAP, AZ or O'R have to say, more accurate information can be found right here.
49.gif

I'll sleep better at night knowing a purolator is on my vehicle instead of an off-brand filter. Maybe that's reason enough I s'pose.

I could have waited for a rebate I guess but I thought I'd just get the job done. That way I don't have to mess with it later! I was satisfied having only paid under $5 w/ tax for two much better filters overall.

Originally Posted By: DutchBrad
IMO Driveworks, STP, Fram, and Microguard are all low end junk.

I wouldn't single out STP filters. Maybe Champ's e-core filters, sure, but just all STP's. That's just one of many Champ-made re-labels which are solid, especially the smaller non-e-core ones. I actually prefer Champ filters for my wife's Corolla because both the gaskets and cans are thicker compared to a Purolator Classic.

i have two drive works filters on both cars.one a spin on and the other a cartridge although made in china they seem to be good quailty.those who dont like products made in china and avoid them will not be watching tv shortly most are made in china now not japan.i dont like it but thats the way it is.

I swapped my Microgard for a Wix filter the other day too.

Much better choice, according to the guy at the counter!

Originally Posted By: zerosoma

If you are doing the Peak+Microguard filter special with 5$ gift card rebate you need to have the UPCs cut out from the MG filter box.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

If you are doing the Peak+Microguard filter special with 5$ gift card rebate you need to have the UPCs cut out from the MG filter box.

yeah...I ain't really going that route. Got enough oil and filters to last me and my wifey a long time.

This was from the Valvoline Special so it still had the UPC. I had the option to upgrade at the time of purchase but I decided not to and then realized that perhaps I should have. So I went back and fixed my mistake to upgrade to a Wix. Only cost me $4 more but I'll sleep better at night.

Hearing horror stories about them, and just the fact they didn't have a good reputation overall, and the fact that they are built in China, I just couldn't feel comfortable hanging onto them and using them on my vehicle(s).

AAP was very very helpful and I ended up swapping both DW filters for a Puro Classic and a PureOne (plus about $5 out of pocket).

Not bad at all.

I'd say make the switch, the guys at AAP both said the DW filters were pretty much trash.
smile.gif

They don't know jack about the filter, it is a well built, stout filter.

IMG_20110725_153856.jpg

IMG_20110725_153905.jpg

IMG_20110725_153920.jpg

IMG_20110725_153945.jpg

Sure looks like a Donaldson to me... and for all we know, it could come from the Chinese plant that Donaldson has ties with.

Last edited:
Some day, I may try the Drive Works oil filters with an OCI special. They feel very dence/heavy, leading me to believe that they're well made. But, the second that I hear any startup rattle, I won't get another one!

This is the reason that I stopped using Super Tech oil filters. Too many in a row with startup rattle on multiple vehicles. I cut one open, and the ADBV had a slice in it(perfect split). And where I cut open the filter, I wasn't near the ADBV. Made me wonder about the others that I didn't cut open. Although the filter media looked great after a normal OCI as did the rest of the construction but, just too much startup rattle.

Right now I have quite a stash of Purolator Classic's and PureOne's from a really good AAP online deal w/discount code# and Puro Rebate. Enough for all of my "Lined Up In a Row", OCI's for all the vehicles in our household.

Originally Posted By: kemo

Not bad at all.

smile.gif

IMG_20110725_153856.jpg

IMG_20110725_153905.jpg

IMG_20110725_153920.jpg

IMG_20110725_153945.jpg

Sure looks like a Donaldson to me... and for all we know, it could come from the Chinese plant that Donaldson has ties with.

Similar, but not identical.

DonaldsonP169071-01.jpg

Originally Posted By: sayjac

I don't put much faith in what the employees at AAP, AZ or O'R have to say, more accurate information can be found right here.
49.gif

This is on the money for the most part.

With the occasional exception most of those guys are clueless, if anything the only reason they claimed the DW filters are trash is because they are encouraged to upsell more expensive products if possible.

Not that I am a fan of buying anything from China of course.

I just had a Driveworks that would not screw on more than 1 thread. I did not want to force it. Luckily I had a spare Bosch I was saving for another car. I'm going to return this filter and get a name brand.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Not bad at all.

smile.gif

IMG_20110725_153856.jpg

IMG_20110725_153905.jpg

IMG_20110725_153920.jpg

IMG_20110725_153945.jpg

DonaldsonP169071-01.jpg

You are comparing the high efficiency filter to a non high efficiency filter. And also note that it is not a cross of the DW1A. Of course it isn't identical.

Not bad at all.

smile.gif

IMG_20110725_153856.jpg

IMG_20110725_153905.jpg

IMG_20110725_153920.jpg

IMG_20110725_153945.jpg

DonaldsonP169071-01.jpg

You are comparing the high efficiency filter to a non high efficiency filter. And also note that it is not a cross of the DW1A. Of course it isn't identical.

Right, which is why I said they aren't identical.......

However, the base plate is slightly different, the bypass valve (look at the area surrounding it) is different, and I would imagine the bypass is pretty "standardized", since I've seen the EXACT same bypass on other Donaldson filters.

I'm not saying it may not be a Donaldson. I'm saying that it could simply be a Donaldson clone.

There were other pictures/videos showing a donaldson cut up (essentially a basic Donaldson), and it looks exactly the same. Base plate, shell, end caps, bypass valve, anti-drainback valve, all were identical.

Also note that it can be compared to a Fleetguard.

Right, which is why I said they aren't identical.......

However, the base plate is slightly different, the bypass valve (look at the area surrounding it) is different, and I would imagine the bypass is pretty "standardized", since I've seen the EXACT same bypass on other Donaldson filters.

I'm not saying it may not be a Donaldson. I'm saying that it could simply be a Donaldson clone.

Again, they are not filters that will cross with one another, of course the base plate is different. If you compare a basic donaldson that is a direct cross to the DW1A, you will see how much is nearly the same.

And for the record, the bypass valve looks exactly the same as that donaldson, curse the flash of my picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back