Suzuki V-Strom, 1000 V-twin, Mobil 1 10-40 HM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Third UOA on this 1000cc water-cooled Suzuki V-Twin. Dummy me forgot when I changed the oil, and it actually could have been left in there for a lot longer. :dunce:

RON: Your engine appears to be going through its final stage of break-in. All of the wear metals in this 10W/40-grade oil read basically the same as the previous sample. They also read right around the universal averages for the DL 1000 Suzuki engine. Once your motorcycle hits 10,000 miles the engine should have matured and wear should read average after 2,300 miles of oil use.
The TBN was super strong at 11.3 (see note below) showing loads of active additive. No contaminants were found in this sample. Congratulations on your first perfect oil report!

UOA#3
Ref. Black. ID #D83320
MI/HR ON OIL: 1,300
MI/HR ON UNIT: 6,000
DATE: 7-31-09
M1 10-40 HM
ALUMINUM: 7
CHROMIUM: 0
IRON: 27
COPPER: 2
LEAD: 1
TIN: 0
MOLY: 80
NICKEL: 1
MANGANESE: 0
SILVER: 0
TITANIUM: 0
POTASSIUM: 1
BORON: 200
SILICON: 9
SODIUM: 8
CALCIUM: 2643
MAGNESIUM: 15
PHOSPHOROUS: 825
ZINC: 980
BARIUM: 0

SUS VISC. @210F: 68.4
Cst Visc. @100C:12.53
Flashpoint: 420
Fuel %:--
Antifreeze %: --
Water %: 0.0
Insolubles %: 0.0
TBN: 11.3 (?)
TAN:
ISO Code:
The ? after the TBN is because the VOA here showed a TBN of 9.6. Nothing's absolute, I guess.
21.gif

Looks real good!

Did you change the oil, of just draw off a sample? It looks like it could go a LOT further than the 1300 miles. 5K ought to be a cinch.

I believe at the top he states that he did change the oil.

Nice report, will be a nice wearing engine for you

WOW!

either your engine is very gentle on oil
or
that oil can handle the gearbox.

ever so barely in the 40wt grade, but it IS in grade.

so, 4k more miles till it is broke in? interesting.

curious where all of the iron is coming from. we'll see how much it drops the next uoa.

Last edited:
1. Yep, changed it - shouldn't have, in retrospect.
frown.gif

2. High iron #'s seem to be a Mobil 1 trademark.
21.gif

3. I stuck M1 15-50 gold cap in there for this run, we'll see how it works out. So far (600 miles +/-) so good. As sunruh's noted many times, 15-50 tends to shear quickly - we'll see how this one works out. Getting into prime riding time, so, Lord willing, I'll be racking up a lot of miles in the next month or so. That V-Strom is just great for exploring all those interesting side roads. There are a PILE of those roads in Somerset/Bedford Counties - a couple I was on yesterday didn't even have names...
banana2.gif

If nothing else, it's nice to know I have a viable alternative in the 10-40 HM.

Forgot to mention, filter for that run was OEM Suzuki 16510-03G00-X07; I also use NAPA 1359 and Puro ML16818.

Last edited:
certainly seems to be a decent alternative.

will you do a uoa on the m1 gold? please!

granted, you should have run the m1 gold about 100mi and then dumped it (ie flushed the old out) and then gone for a uoa run on the m1 gold, but that tend to get spendy.

like i have a clue what that means. 54+ (i lost count) uoa's and counting.

Quote:
will you do a uoa on the m1 gold? please!

It'll happen, hopefully, before the end of the riding season - around here that's usually October. I'll be sure to post up.

You make a great point about flushing the old stuff out. So far, I've used, and had UOA's done on: Castrol ACTevo 10-40; M1 15-50 Red Cap and M1 10-40 HM in this bike, so who knows how much the previous fill contaminated the process? I imagine there's gotta' be a few ounces of the old oil hiding in nooks/crannies.
21.gif

and that is why it takes me a while to do one of my tests. i drop the old oil. run the new. dump it and let it drain for 5 days. and *then* do the run that gets sent in for a uao. not perfect, but much less contamination.

not a street bike. not a chance to ride during the week anyway.
and with the way the weather has been, who wants to?
was a nice balmy 105 again yesterday.

Wow!! How do you function in that kind of heat?

We've actually had a very mild summer, so far - temps below 80 degrees most days. Just the last few days we've seen temps above 80, but, we're dropping back into the 70's again.

Oopsie!! Just checked - they've re-calculated and we are actually supposed to be seeing mid-80's for a while. That qualifies as a heat wave around here....

Got a question here..... If a bike calls for 10w40 and one pours in 15w50.....and after 3k miles it is sheared to a 40 wt....who cares?????? Even if it shears to a 30wt before you hit 5k miles....that is great performance from and oil.

If that is the case, makes the decision to go to 15w50 a brilliant one!!!!

I would suspect that most 40wt oils shear to a 30wt fairly quickly in a shared sump.

I have a Strom as well and so far, my favorite oil is Rotella 5w40. I ran the 15w50 for a 3k mile stint and my bike drank it like a camel. I had to add a full quart in 3k miles. With the Rotella, the engine is consuming about 1/2 a quart in 4k miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BigJohn

I would suspect that most 40wt oils shear to a 30wt fairly quickly in a shared sump.

"suspect" is the same word as "guessing" in this context.

i have proven (at least in my type of motor) many things about various oils.

one of those being: you don't know nothing until you test it!

Quote:
I ran the 15w50 for a 3k mile stint and my bike drank it like a camel

I think you mentioned that somewhere else, John, so you've turned me into a nervous wreck - checking the oil every time I stop the bike for any reason... :pacing: So far, about 1800 miles into the run, and it hasn't used any.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: sunruh
Originally Posted By: BigJohn

"suspect" is the same word as "guessing" in this context.

i have proven (at least in my type of motor) many things about various oils.

one of those being: you don't know nothing until you test it!

Your exactly right sunruh. I am amazed at how differently my bike behaves with different oils and how different the consumption is. I have the DL650 (VStrom), that is the same engine as the Suzuki SV.

So far, my bike drank Mobil 1 15w50 and Amsoil 12w43 (three quarts of 10w40 and one quart of 20w50) the most. For both those oils, I had to add a make-up quart in their OCI. Rotella 5w40 only uses about 1/2 a quart with the same mileage and riding conditions.

After a clutch change, I am now using Mobil Delvac 1300 15w40 HDEO DINO. I will be riding about 3,000 miles in the next 8 weeks and I plan to do a UOA to see what is going on. I know that a guy on an ST1100 does 8k OCI's, but my V-Twin tends to shred oils in shorter mileage, so I don't want to push the first round. It will also be interesting to see about consumption.

i tested mobil delvac 1300 15w40 hdeo dino.
it held up the worst of the hdeo's i've tested when pitted against the Mix Master of DOOM!

susvis of 69.8 after just 3.4 hrs with a flash of 410, insolubles of .3% and fuel < 0.5%

so it wasnt thin because of fuel

good luck with it.

SuperTech 15w40 ran the same time, but susvis of 75.0 and the same flash of 410 and 0.5%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back