Sure you could use anti-seize on your studs, but???

Status
Not open for further replies.
My pet lube has been motorcycle chain lube. I use it in liew of anti-seize for wheels bolts. It offers just enough protection and lube, but without caking the treads. Easy too.

Originally Posted by JoelB
I've never torqued a lug nut in my life. Probably should, but haven't. I suppose if i ever have a wheel come off I'll reconsider.

That's not the only reason why. It's that vibration at 60 MPH that you think is a bad balance, or crappy tires, or warped rotors. A lot of that goes away when you start using a torque wrench.

Originally Posted by Kestas
I believe torque + angle is for stretch (TTY) bolts. Not good for multiple uses.

Not true. Torque to yield bolts are just that, Torqued to the point just before yielding. This can be done by straight torquing method or torque to turn or torque plus angle.

Many fasteners are tightened by the torque to turn method with the intent of multiple uses.

To comment on lubrication on a fastener, you cannot make a general claim of how much to reduce the torque value when using a lubricant. Everything from water to moly thread paste will reduce friction but to very different degrees.

Myself I use anit-seize on wheel studs and many other fasteners and other metal to metal connections. Been doing this for over 35 years with no issues.

Don't use AZ on lug nuts? Not so sure about that. My Porsche owners manual says to use "anti seize paste" on the threads and washers but not on the cones that contact the wheel. Porsche is very conservative in all their requirements to ward off liability and lawyers. Good enuff for me.

Originally Posted by willbur
Don't use AZ on lug nuts? Not so sure about that. My Porsche owners manual says to use "anti seize paste" on the threads and washers but not on the cones that contact the wheel. Porsche is very conservative in all their requirements to ward off liability and lawyers. Good enuff for me.

Interesting. They think it's the cone of the lug nut and it's contact with the wheel that set the torque. I never thought of it that way

We did testing with antiseize on lug nuts and torque. We found that the stud bolt will break when torqued to specification with antiseize slathered on the cone face.

What i do is apply anti seize once, only a small amount, thread only portion. It seems to stay on there for years and i do winter wheel rotations. I dont add any more each time.
I lightly gun them on with a cordless dewalt tool that barely has enough torque to loosen them at the end of the season. Then I carefully hand torque to spec. The bolts come off only when i want them to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back