supertech oil last 5??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Most of us are looking for better than an oil that "works fine".
That's why we're here.

Please, quantify the term "better" for a 5K OCI with a name brand oil vs. Super Tech?

Will a name brand oil that costs 20%-40% more, give me 20%-40% longer engine life?

Please, give some hard real world facts and not opinions.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro

Will a name brand oil that costs 20%-40% more, give me 20%-40% longer engine life?

I don't know that it's been proven to even exist.... That sounds a bit odd I know.. but from everything I've seen... Even here, the fanciest oils are giving stock passenger cars not much more than longer oil life with added cost... rather than added protection.

The only way I could see this playing out well is if we had a sponsored road trip... two new identical cars... driving together in lockstep over 200K miles.. with completely different oils. One on something expensive and synthetic that wants a 10K drain, and a "standard" conventional with a 5K drain.. Then after all that we have to tear the motors down and do a thorough inspection with micrometers and test tools that most likely NOT MANY FORUM USERS HERE HAVE... so I'm thinking the actual tests we need to do aren't feasible.

Once man's ultra platinum uber moly zinc boost super oil is another mans "Too expensive snake oil".

I have a feeling it shall always be this way around here.

I've never seen a bad UOA with ST, but I've seen very good UOAs with various oils.
If I see consistently good UOAs on 5K drains with Valvoline, then why wouldn't I use it for a few cents more?
If I see consistently good UOAs on much longer drains of QSUD, why wouldn't I use it for a little bit more than ST synthetic?
I guess that I don't understand why anyone would bother with ST when there are many other oils available for which there is a good base of current UOAs that cost only a bit more.
If I never planned ahead, and were looking to buy the cheapest oil Walmart offered that met current API specs, I'd likely buy ST.
For a few cents more, I could also buy name brand oils for which I can view numerous current UOAs.
If I plan ahead, I can also buy name brand oils for less money than ST, since SOPUS and Valvoline have been heavily promoting there brands over the past couple of years, while Castrol and XOM do so as well, although not as much recently as they have in the past.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Most of us are looking for better than an oil that "works fine".
That's why we're here.

Please, quantify the term "better" for a 5K OCI with a name brand oil vs. Super Tech?

Please, give some hard real world facts and not opinions.

20-40% longer?
Probably not.
Longer than an oil blended to a price point?
Maybe.
You could probably use ST through a 200K vehicle life and the engine would probably run as well as it would had you used a pricier oil over the same lifespan.
OTOH, you can use name brand oils of known quality, for which a good base of current UOAs can be found for very little more.
If you plan ahead, you can probably use these name brand oils for less, since Walmart does nothing to promote ST oils WRT MIRs, while name brand oils are frequently offered with promotional deals.

I've never seen a bad UOA with ST, but I've seen very good UOAs with various oils.
If I see consistently good UOAs on 5K drains with Valvoline, then why wouldn't I use it for a few cents more?
If I see consistently good UOAs on much longer drains of QSUD, why wouldn't I use it for a little bit more than ST synthetic?
I guess that I don't understand why anyone would bother with ST when there are many other oils available for which there is a good base of current UOAs that cost only a bit more.
If I never planned ahead, and were looking to buy the cheapest oil Walmart offered that met current API specs, I'd likely buy ST.
For a few cents more, I could also buy name brand oils for which I can view numerous current UOAs.
If I plan ahead, I can also buy name brand oils for less money than ST, since SOPUS and Valvoline have been heavily promoting there brands over the past couple of years, while Castrol and XOM do so as well, although not as much recently as they have in the past.

OK how many base oil suppliers are there in the US? How many additive suppliers can a company use and still maintain their oils certification? I buy the big name brand oil because I prefer to and because I have friends working for those companies. But if I did not have to luxury to buy "major" label oils, I would buy house brands and not worry about a thing. Which of the following is a house brand 5W20?
ALUMINUM 1
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 1
COPPER 1
LEAD 0
TIN 0
MOLYBDENUM 79
NICKEL 0
MANGANESE 0
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 1
POTASSIUM 5
BORON 234
SILICON 5
SODIUM 1
CALCIUM 2135
MAGNESIUM 10
PHOSPHORUS 740
ZINC 858
BARIUM 0

TBN TOTAL BASE 7.32
VIS 100C CS 8.5

Boron 16
Barium 2
Calcium 2796
Magnesium 11
Molybdenum 0
Sodium 0
Phosphorus 703
Sulfur 2763
Zinc 863
Visc@40°C 48.23
Visc@100°C 9.06
TBN 9.6

Boron 16
Barium 2
Calcium 2796
Magnesium 11
Molybdenum 0
Sodium 393
Phosphorus 703
Sulfur 2763
Zinc 803
Visc@40°C 48.23
Visc@100°C 9.06
TBN 9.6

Aluminum:0
Chromium:0
Iron:1
Copper:0
Lead:0
Tin:0
Molybdenum:0
Nickel:0
Manganese:0
Silver:0
Titanium:22
Potassium:0
Boron:52
Silicon:1
Sodium: 208
Calcium:1161
Magnesium: 4
Phosphorus:696
Zinc:688
TBN 9.6
Viscosity:47.8

I've used the AAP house brand synthetic, I've used Super Tech, I've used Mag 1 as well. And I'll use them again. Great value and excellent oils. I wouldn't be afraid to take them to 7500+ on their conventional oils. Heck, just to make a point I may do that and get a UOA done and put all this WPP stuff to rest.
YOu guys pick the flavor.....5w20 or 5w30. I'll run either in my MX-5.

Couldn't tell you and not really relevant, although I suppose that I could go through a bunch of product data sheets and identify the listed oils.
What matters is how an oil looks after five or six or eight thousand miles in your engine or one similar to yours used in a way similar to the way in which you use yours.
I know that you are well aware that most VOAs/UOAs show us only metallic additives, with the rest of the add pack remaining a mystery.
The numbers you've posted above therfore give us only an incomplete picture of the oils depicted.
A UOA after some miles of use gives us some insight into an oil's performance, which is what we care about.

Couldn't tell you and not really relevant, although I suppose that I could go through a bunch of product data sheets and identify the listed oils.
What matters is how an oil looks after five or six or eight thousand miles in your engine or one similar to yours used in a way similar to the way in which you use yours.
I know that you are well aware that most VOAs/UOAs show us only metallic additives, with the rest of the add pack remaining a mystery.
The numbers you've posted above therfore give us only an incomplete picture of the oils depicted.
A UOA after some miles of use gives us some insight into an oil's performance, which is what we care about.

Yet from the very small data sample of ST UOA's results are comparable to other oils under similar driving conditions.

Sometimes I think that all the hoopla about SuperTech is more about Walmart than about the oil.

I really havn't read a bad word around here about WPP products other than... "They aren't Brand X"....

Some SuperTech oil is actually bottled by Mobil, you can clearly tell by the difference in bottle shape. Also, ST oil has all the certs and WM isn't going to risk any potential engine damage or bad press regarding it. Is ST the best oil on the market, no. But, it is a very good oil and a very good price.

I do recall the Mobil bottle style... it used to be around here.... now I see all the WPP bottles.

Either way, there's nothing I can say bad about the brand... all products in the bottles meet the specs on the labels. That's all you should expect from any product. PROPER REPRESENTATION.

...while name brand oils are frequently offered with promotional deals.
Wouldn't you agree that promotions are a form of advertising and all advertising, regardless of amount, costs companies real money? For any business that's planning to be around in the near future, that cost absolutely gets baked into the sales price. Therefore, unless one is always and every time buying an advertised product with a rebate or on clearance, then a portion of the sales price they're paying is going toward one or more forms of advertising, even if advertising wasn't at all responsible for driving them to that particular purchase decision. This means that every cent (or percentage) that's allocated toward recouping advertising costs is one less cent that's available to be allocated toward other product elements like research, design, development, production, quality, testing, etc. Obviously, I'm oversimplifying this here because I'm omitting other intermediaries between manufacturer and buyer/consumer, but I hope the point is sufficiently clear.
smile.gif

I believe this often happens: someone hasn't ever used product X, but then buys product X on rebate and then determines, usually subconsciously, that they sufficiently like it; then, more often than not, they're more inclined to buy product X at some future point, even when it's not on rebate.
49.gif
Even drug dealers operate on this principle (i.e. the first few hits are always free or super-cheap). Advertising is evil.
27.gif

I've used ST 10W-40 by WPP and it reduced my oil consumption from 1qt/1k miles to none with 5k mile OCI. PYB didn't do that, nor did the Mag1 5W-40 Euro synth also made by WPP. ST conv is good oil made by Warren. I'm not using it now since my local WalMart switched their ST to Citgo. I no longer see the WPP at the bottom of the bottle, just G.

I have enough confidence in WPP that my OCI for the Mag1 I have now will be 10k miles.

Last edited:
Dnewton who is what I consider a forum authority is doing 10000 mile intervals on super tech in a villager,so yes it's capable of 5000 mile drains without issue.

Originally Posted By: diver1972
Obviously, I'm oversimplifying this here because I'm omitting other intermediaries between manufacturer and buyer/consumer, but I hope the point is sufficiently clear.
smile.gif

Well, I like your point, and it definitely is illustrated by the ST example. Look at oil pricing at our Walmarts. ST is regularly as cheap as "average" rollback on the name brand conventionals. When ST goes on sale, it's for $6 a gallon (they use gallons for ST up here). ST oils, unlike the majors, aren't advertised much, except in the Walmart flyers.

Regular priced name brand conventionals, which obviously are subject to large marketing budgets, cost almost twice as much as Supertech. It meets the usual specifications, so I can't see any issues.

Originally Posted By: WMSmotorhead
Once man's ultra platinum uber moly zinc boost super oil is another mans "Too expensive snake oil".
Well-put!
01.gif

Originally Posted By: WMSmotorhead
I have a feeling it shall always be this way around here.

Yeah, the marketing and advertising campaigns of this world significantly influence purchasing decisions amongst even the most intelligent members of our species. The power of any given advertising drumbeat to sway our presumably conscious decisions in quite subconscious ways is unsettling for sure. This is not to say that parity exists amongst all competing products because there are clearly examples of measurable and meaningful differences in many markets over time; however, when a very high degree of product parity exists between competing products, that's when the marketing budgets balloon and the advertising barrage begins in the battle for more revenue.
smirk.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back