supertech oil last 5??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Sure it can.
There are better oils for around the same money, though.
If all you want is 5K, and you're willing to troll the bottom of the lake, either FAR G-Oil (there'll be more to come) or FAR Valvoline Nextgen would be less expensive, and either is at least the equal of ST.
Both have shown very clean UOAs, but then ST has too.
If your goal is to save money, the Rebates, Sales and Promotions forum is your friend.
If you're looking for a good oil, ST is certainly decent, but not that cheap for what it is.

Better? In what respect? Calling something else "better" doesn't really say anything.

Do you have any evidence that using a different brand results in fewer engine failures?

Originally Posted By: dslofti
I know a guy that uses it even in built drag trucks and says he never has had a problem due to oil. He said spend ur money on name brands and never notice the difference.

Most people will never notice the difference.

In close to 25+ years I have used Wal-Mart branded oil from when it was called "Tech 2000" to the current Super Tech branding, it has never let me down in any way shape or form. Combined, my family has probably put close to a million miles in those years using the oil and never a oil related issue with it. You will be hard to find a non-abused vehicle that just casually grenaded from using Super Tech because it just does not happen.

The oil meets whatever the spec is on the bottle. Some just can not stand it for whatever their bias is against the brand because they do not understand the term "value" and confuse the lower price with "cheap' for which it is not.

Unless I can get other name brand oils cheaper due to sales, discounts and rebates, Super Tech is what I grab when I have to pay normal full price.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
How cheap can you guys get? You're already running store brand oil, why push it to 5,000 miles?

Why is 5K pushing it? Any data to back that claim up?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
How cheap can you guys get? You're already running store brand oil, why push it to 5,000 miles?

Save money with good quality oil that doesn't cost more due to an advertising campaign.

Change your oil according to your OLM or manual to conserve resources.

There is nothing unreasonable or "cheap" about this. It's being practical.

Indeed it is being practical. Most any properly made Conventional oil is able to go 5K per manufacturer recommendation. 5K for nice, 3K for naughty. My father taught me the "Third of 10K" way... 3333, 6666, and 0000 it's time to change it out. It works out great, because I don't have to write anything down... if the car is buzzing around town, it's a 3rd of 10K, if we're taking a long highway trip, it's 5K... for conventional anyway.

A decent synthetic, it's easy to use this same "3rd of 10k", just making it 2/3rds of 10K.... 5000 for naughty, 6666 for nice.

Since the odometer is always at 1/2's or 3rds, I never have to write it down.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: motorguy222

Supertech is a private label for Wal-Mart, manufactured by Warren. Therefore it is a generic oil, however it is manufactured by the largest manufacturer of generic oils in the us. Warren's name brands include Coastal, and Mag 1.
I wasn't trying to start a flame war. Just stating that there are other options with a minimal price difference. And for the record, I don't care who sponsers NASCAR. I just use PYB because it's an excellent oil, at a fair price, as indicated by UOA's, and VOA's. But, from what I recall Supertech's TBN level was called into question in some previous VOA's, and UOA's.
Again, I'm NOT saying that it is bad oil. I'm just saying that there are other options for similar money.
[/quote

Warren Performance Packaging(WPP/WNE)does not make the Coastal brand.Coastal is made/owned by Warren-Unilube/Warren Oil.

WPP/WNE and Warren-Unilube/Warren Oil are not the same company and are not linked in any way.

ST is made by WPP/WNE.WPP also has their own brands,Mag1,Accel and Polar.

WPP

Warren Oil-Unilube [/quote]
I admit I was wrong on the Coastal brand, but WPP does stand for "Warren Performance Packaging".
I said that ST was made by Warren. I ment WPP/WNE when I said Warren. Not Warren Oil. I apologize if it was taken out of context. I was just stating that supertech is a house brand of oil for walmart, and not a "National" Brand sold at different stores.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
It will last fine for 5K.

Ignore the "few bucks more" crowd. They offer very little info to your actual question but always got to put their two cents in tooting their favorite brand horn.

ST meets spec and will be fine when following your vehicles call out for weight and spec.

BINGO! Use with confidence.

I would use Supertech but usually I can find cheaper oil with rebates Ect....I stocked up on Valvoline Nexgen but after that I will buy supertech...I was upset when they took away the filters those were also a good deal.

Originally Posted By: zeezee
Sure it can.
If all you want is 5K, and you're willing to troll the bottom of the lake, either FAR G-Oil (there'll be more to come) or FAR Valvoline Nextgen would be less expensive, and either is at least the equal of ST.
If your goal is to save money, the Rebates, Sales and Promotions forum is your friend.
If you're looking for a good oil, ST is certainly decent, but not that cheap for what it is.

Better? In what respect? Calling something else "better" doesn't really say anything.

Do you have any evidence that using a different brand results in fewer engine failures?

Following your line of reasoning to its logical conclusion, since engine failures due to lubricant failure are very rare, then no API spec oil can be better than any other API spec oil.
Therefore, any API spec oil must be as good as any other API spec oil, and there is no reason for this site to exist.

Originally Posted By: zeezee
Sure it can.

Following your line of reasoning to its logical conclusion, since engine failures due to lubricant failure are very rare, then no API spec oil can be better than any other API spec oil.
Therefore, any API spec oil must be as good as any other API spec oil, and there is no reason for this site to exist.

I can follow your line of reasoning. But here is the caveat for the topic at hand. How much testing or data have you collected on Super Tech oils? It is sold to Walmart and is sold as WM's house brand of oil. But it meets or exceeds pretty much every specification other brands of oil meet. The chemistry and base stocks are very similar to other products on the shelves. Using plan old blue bottle Super Tech motor oil is not flashy but it will get the job done specified by the OCI in the owners manual. The only caveat is it will not overcome a design or mechanical flaw that no other motor oil in the same grade will be able to overcome.

............. then no API spec oil can be better than any other API spec oil.

On the same token, what some here argue about in touting their favorite name brand oil as being quantifiable better than Super Tech would be laughed at by most engineers in the real world. Most engineers would call it a day if the oil meets the allowable tolerance range and not split little red hairs over something being on the higher end the tolerance of good.

For all the chest thumping and VOA waving of a name brand oil being better than Super Tech, it is inconsequential as the spec is the spec and Super Tech meets it.

Inevitably, just about every Super Tech brand thread started gets everybody and their dog wanting to put their unrelated and unasked for two cents on why their name brand is better when the original question was not asking that.

Been proven time and eternal that Super Tech will work fine for anybody that follows normal car manufacturer recommendations to grade, type and spec. If people are arguing that their name brand gives them margins of quality beyond normal OCI's, that is fine but most people are not operating in those margins.

Part of me thinks it is just subliminal Wal-Mart hating rather than the oil itself.

This is the easiest way to back up the claims that SuperTech is properly formulated... Just read some tests from PQI.

SuperTech at PQI

Valvoline Conventional at PQI

Mobil 5000 at PQI

You can look at any of them you like.... The formulations are similar, and you can see that per API specs, the viscosity and add packs are all similar.

It's going out on a limb to bash any On-Spec oil that has passed PQI inspection. If it gets the API SN or SM certification, and has been tested to verify its accuracy, it should be safe for any car calling for API SN or SM oil.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro

Part of me thinks it is just subliminal Wal-Mart hating rather than the oil itself.

I agree. I've tried to educate a few friends about oil since finding this site. I've found that most instantly think I'm nuts for putting 'Walmart' oil in my car. They have this crazy notion that there is a Walmart factory somewhere making and bottling motor oil, or it's being made in the stockroom. And if it's from Walmart it must be generic or junk. I'd run SuperTech any day of the week in everything I own, and have.

You can get pretty much the same Oil as Supertech with a Federated Auto Parts, Auto Zone, Advance Auto Parts, or other label on it.

It's just the stock WPP oil they bottle for whomever wants it.

Originally Posted By: Sonic
They have this crazy notion that there is a Walmart factory somewhere making and bottling motor oil, or it's being made in the stockroom. And if it's from Walmart it must be generic or junk. I'd run SuperTech any day of the week in everything I own, and have.

The ironic thing is that at "China-Mart," as many are wont to call it, Super Tech oil is probably one of their highest quality product lines, with their PCMOs and HDEOs licensed to the latest API and ILSAC specifications, as the case may be.

Once again, you're saying that ST is as good as any other oil.
ST is in no way a bad choice, but there are certainly better ones.
You've been here long enough to know that.

Most of us are looking for better than an oil that "works fine".
That's why we're here.

PQIA does far more extensive VOAs than anything we see in the VOA forum here.
Still, their testing is directed at determining whether an oil meets the API standard it claims either to meet or be suitable for.
PQIA in no way claims that its testing tells us anything about an oil's performance in service, it merely identifies whether oils meet reasonable standards or not.
PQIA does flag the really bad outliers, since they don't meet any recognized standard, and should not be used in an engine.
We have a UOA forum here that lets us review actual performance in service of a variety of oils in a variety of applications.
Oils with seemingly similar formulations can deliver vastly different performance in actual use.
That's what makes UOAs so interesting.

PQIA does far more extensive VOAs than anything we see in the VOA forum here.
Still, their testing is directed at determining whether an oil meets the API standard it claims either to meet or be suitable for.
PQIA in no way claims that its testing tells us anything about an oil's performance in service, it merely identifies whether oils meet reasonable standards or not.
PQIA does flag the really bad outliers, since they don't meet any recognized standard, and should not be used in an engine.
We have a UOA forum here that lets us review actual performance in service of a variety of oils in a variety of applications.
Oils with seemingly similar formulations can deliver vastly different performance in actual use.
That's what makes UOAs so interesting.

OK I will give you that. But have you seen a "bad" UOA with Supertech? Also I have not seen vastly different performance from PCMO's with similar chemistry on the same engine if said engine was mechanically sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back