Supertech Filters - New and Old

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any differences between the older black box Supertechs and the newer blue? Picked up one of each at the local Wal, figured what the heck, I'll need 2 for my Auto-RXing.

BTW, lots of older Frams without boxes laying around and other less-used sizes with severely light-worn boxes, look like they've sat for years. Kinda sad.

The ST filters are being changed over to the Ecore type; plastic grid center tube, different media, etc. supposedly more 'recyclable'.
New box graphics are to go with.
BUT; the graphics are also showing up on older style filters as well. SOooo, the new box is on/around some older filters.
Check the inside of the filter for which ever type you want.
Old style has/had a metal center tube.

There are some ST filters that will not be Ecores. Anything, currently anyway, with under a 3" can isn't an Ecore. It doesn't have the combo ADBV/bypass valve and has a metal center core. I just went through this trying to find an Ecore for a Honda. They aren't "old style" ST's just rebadged either. The old style ST used a clicker bypass valve. These have a blue button on the bottom that is clearly visible through the threaded hole.

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
I just went through this trying to find an Ecore for a Honda.

Gary, in case I forgot, thanks for your help researching Ecore applications for Hondas.
cheers.gif

quote:

There are some ST filters that will not be Ecores.

Perhaps not for now.

quote:

Anything, currently anyway, with under a 3" can isn't an Ecore.

The 3 3/4'' ST 3950 still has a steel center tube. The one I bought 2 weeks ago has a clicker valve. At one time, they had threaded end bypasses. They didn't have the clicker until after the ecore came out.

In my ST collection I have a ST7317 with the blue button. Production date 05/11/06, made in Mexico.

I also have a ST3593A that is a clicker. Production date 08/11/06, made in USA.

Where did you find it? That hasn't been stocked in my WM for a while and in others for over 2 years. I asked the oilman at my WM and he said they reduced the number of ST filters in stock and the ST3593A took a hike. The ST3593A is supposed to be an Ecore according to the Filter Hotline at Champ.

Gary..you can always have Walmart order in anything that they sell. In this case a filter part number not on the shelf. This is not normally a known piece of information..
wink.gif

And you may need to talk to the store supervisor on duty or manager.

quote:

Where did you find it? That hasn't been stocked in my WM for a while and in others for over 2 years. I asked the oilman at my WM and he said they reduced the number of ST filters in stock and the ST3593A took a hike. The ST3593A is supposed to be an Ecore according to the Filter Hotline at Champ.

The closest WM to me is in Vancouver, WA. I was surprised to even see it as it hadn't been there the two previous times I'd looked. The ST3593A's were in the new boxes by the way.

quote:

Originally posted by labman:

quote:

There are some ST filters that will not be Ecores.

Perhaps not for now.

quote:

Anything, currently anyway, with under a 3" can isn't an Ecore.

The 3 3/4'' ST 3950 still has a steel center tube. The one I bought 2 weeks ago has a clicker valve. At one time, they had threaded end bypasses. They didn't have the clicker until after the ecore came out.

There appear to be two or three lines that are Ecores. One is a 3" filter ... one of the others is the 3.667 size can. There may be another ..but below 3.0 and above 3.0 ..and between (prehaps all the way up to) 3.667 don't have a line for Ecores. It's apparently a conveyor width thing. They have to make a line for each can size (reference source FG after conferring with Champ).

And they may indeed use clickers still on some filters.

However, anything below a 3.0" can isn't an Ecore and has a blue button on the bottom. There is nothing (at this time) wrong with that statement.

FWIW, I'm running ST8A's on my sis's Sebring convertible. The E-Core's are the perfect length, same diameter as the ST16/FL300's, and are working fine. I just cut one open (again) and found no surprises. Even pleats, fully welded seam and endcaps, tough core; no issues after 4200 miles with a 50/50 ST Syn/30wt Delo blend. The E-core technology is good, works well, and the filter is priced right. If you find it for your app... use it with confidence. And that's about all I have ta say 'bout that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back