Supertech Advanced Synthetic 0W-20, 4,704 miles, 2021 Subaru Forester Limited

My second oil sample on the 2021 Forester. The oil filter was a Fram Tough Guard.

1678802162173.jpg

Iron is 2.77 ppm/1k miles which isn't great but acceptable. At 20k+ miles, the break-in metals have settled.

Blackstone is incorrect about the viscosity where they stated... "The oil's viscosity meets specification for 0W/20". The floor for a 20 grade oil is 6.90 cSt. This UOA is just under that at 6.83 cSt meaning the oil is a 16 grade.

The oil fell out of grade likely due to fuel dilution. Blackstone got this wrong as well. They claim no fuel dilution (
The add pack is anemic with phosphorus below the API minimum for SP. (Standard is 600-800 ppm)

Iron is 2.77 ppm/1k miles which isn't great but acceptable. At 20k+ miles, the break-in metals have settled.

Blackstone is incorrect about the viscosity where they stated... "The oil's viscosity meets specification for 0W/20". The floor for a 20 grade oil is 6.90 cSt. This UOA is just under that at 6.83 cSt meaning the oil is a 16 grade.

The oil fell out of grade likely due to fuel dilution. Blackstone got this wrong as well. They claim no fuel dilution (
The add pack is anemic with phosphorus below the API minimum for SP. (Standard is 600-800 ppm)

The problem here is believing the results are 100% accurate and building an opinion on that. On my own UOA Blackstone was off on viscosity by almost 0.7cst! That puts it into a completely different grade of oil. Many people have had it re-tested lately only to get a more normal result. Makes me wonder what the results of this oil would be if it was re-tested.

Looks good. What are your driving habits...short trips? Highway?
It gets 10-15 mile trips daily using the interstate. The car is garaged and in the winter we're pretty good about warming it up until the blue dash light goes out before taking off. Its a great vehicle.

The oil that went in is Penzoil Full Synthetic paired with a Purolator One oil filter. Will the Penzoil have more phospherous?

Attachments

• 20230228_140708.jpg
    20230228_140708.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 28
The oil that went in is Penzoil Full Synthetic paired with a Purolator One oil filter. Will the Penzoil have more phospherous?

Unlikely. Pennzoil has been regularly reported with less than API minimum phosphorus as well.

Purolator (aka "tear-o-lator") filters aren't a good choice as they've been plagued with media tearing issues since they were acquired by Mann+Hummel.

Blackstone did not mention the universal mileage average.
You can reply to the results email they sent you and ask what the average miles are for Universal Averages. That will let you do a little math to determin PPM per 1000 miles for UA as well as your run, then you can compare your metals to UA on a more level playing field.

It looks like Supertech is following suit with the new trend: lower viscosity, less Boron and lower Ca/Mg/Ph/Zn. I'm sure there is more going on then any oil analysis can tell, so I'm not going to label this as a cheapening of oil. As long as wear metals are about where they should be, etc, then all is good. I don't think the flashpoint is low enough to account for the drop in viscosity. I'm willing to be the oil started off at a lower viscosity.

You can reply to the results email they sent you and ask what the average miles are for Universal Averages. That will let you do a little math to determin PPM per 1000 miles for UA as well as your run, then you can compare your metals to UA on a more level playing field.
Thank you!

Unlikely. Pennzoil has been regularly reported with less than API minimum phosphorus as well.

Purolator (aka "tear-o-lator") filters aren't a good choice as they've been plagued with media tearing issues since they were acquired by Mann+Hummel.
This was an issue once upon a time but is this still an issue? I don't hear many complaints like there once was posted on the board. Around the time the Boss line came out like in 2016? the filters seem to have less tearing.

It looks like Supertech is following suit with the new trend: lower viscosity, less Boron and lower Ca/Mg/Ph/Zn. I'm sure there is more going on then any oil analysis can tell, so I'm not going to label this as a cheapening of oil. As long as wear metals are about where they should be, etc, then all is good. I don't think the flashpoint is low enough to account for the drop in viscosity. I'm willing to be the oil started off at a lower viscosity.
Completely agree with this. I'm surprised at 1) the number of people on BITOG that take BS results as gospel and 2) the number of people that believe that the amount of metallic additives in a uoa are the be all and end all to measure an oil's performance.

From 2003:
MolaKule said:
What you're going to see are new ashless antioxidants and AW/EP adds come into play now, such as alkylated diphenylamines (antioxidants), hindered phenols (antioxidants), and new AW adds such as boron esters, concentrated calcium and synthetic AW/EP adds (such as new esters). A newer type of zinc antioxidant/AW additive is ZDTC, or Zinc dialkyldithiocarbamate, which is similar to Moly DTC and Antimony DTC, and only varies as to the metallic element.

Several years ago, someone posted an RT6 5W-40 on the Outback forum and the uoa showed ZDDP levels that matched a GF-5 add pack. At my suggestions, he had the lab re-test and the results came back with proper ZDDP levels. Even then, ZDDP levels do not tell the whole picture. That's so 1990's!

Just curious
What do you Subaru owners do when you change the filter after 5K miles or whatever
With all the dirt that accumulates in the oil filter base plate
Does that dirt just drain down the hole with the dirty oil from the filter or does the ADBV do it’s job and no oil drains out ??

Back