SuperTech 10W30 for Engine Break-in (rebuilt)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to break-in a newly rebuilt Ford 351c V8 with a roller cam and rockers soon. I was thinking of using Supertech 10W30 (I have a new jug in the garage) for a first short run with comp cams break-in additive. I tried to find a VOA on Supertech 10W30 and had no luck. It seems there is also no clear answer on who makes this stuff either, as it may be regional (I am in Ontario, Canada). I am only going to run the engine on this oil for a brief period, maybe something similar to a flat tappet break-in run, and then dump it. It's probably overkill, but better safe than sorry and oil is cheap. I will probably run the next interval for about 500 miles, again with 10W30 conventional oil and may run break-in additive again.

+1

And unless you're going to beat the snot out of that 351; and I'm not talking about getting on it now & again as we all do/would, I'm talking about tracking it. You can most likely stay with the ST 10W30 for the life of the engine. But, I'm sure you have other plans!

We used to break in engines with the cheapest non detergent oil for 500 miles. Worked great for the piston rings. Supertech conv will be fine. I woudn't overdue the Comp Cams break in oil. That's for flat tappet cams. In fact, I wouldn't even bother. I don't know who built your engine but run the first oil 100 miles, second 500, third 1,000 and then you are good to go. If your engine came from a very good engine builder you could skip the 100 mile first change.

When I was rebuilding Class 8 diesel engines we put in the old 15w-40 oil on a fresh rebuild and they would run it out to the normal OCI. They ran the full 300-400K (Detroits), 500-600K (Cummins) and 750+K (Cats) with no problems.

No issues with your plan on an engine with a roller cam. I would not ever use a ND oil on a new engine as they're usually devoid of AW and EP addatives like moly/zinc/boron etc. I've always had excellent luck using a SAE 30 or SAE 40 for break ins but in a pinch I've had good luck with 15W40's and 10W30's when a SAE 30 or 40 was unavailable or undesirable.

For break-in, I use Shell Rotella T1 SAE 30 with a bottle of Red Line break-in additive. All I do is fire it up, rev to 2k rpm and hold for 20 minutes. Then I dump the break-in oil, put in the oil of choice, and begin WOT tuning. I dump that oil at 250 miles or 30 WOT passes. Then go normal interval from there. I don't give too much thought to it. My engines have had great leakdown results.

That choice is fine as long as it's not a flat tappet (I know it's not).

Did you drill the front lifter galley plugs 0.030" ... I assume it's a roller chain cam drive ...

Keeping that cam chain wet will keep it snug much longer and your timing will remain in spec much longer
smile.gif

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
I woudn't overdue the Comp Cams break in oil. That's for flat tappet cams. In fact, I wouldn't even bother.

100% truth, roller cams and rockers don't need any break-in concentrate at all.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
When I was rebuilding Class 8 diesel engines we put in the old 15w-40 oil on a fresh rebuild and they would run it out to the normal OCI. They ran the full 300-400K (Detroits), 500-600K (Cummins) and 750+K (Cats) with no problems.

This is actually a good idea for a lot of reasons. You might want to do the same - pour in some clean (filtered) used oil for the break in. go and "play" with the engine (break in the rings on the used oil) and then dump it once you get to the 500 mile mark, and go with new after that.

I used ST to break in my rebuilt Ford 4.6 engine. Worked great. Kept the OCI low as it broke in. Checked for metal flake in oil at each change. After the fourth change I saw no metal. Kept the changes under 500 miles or less each. When the metal flake was gone I went with longer OCIs. I have had no problems with the engine. Kept using conventional for first 5000 miles and then moved to synthetic or blend. Very happy with results.

I used Supertech HD30 oil (and nothing else) to break in the 302 that's in my truck after I rebuilt it. It was pretty uneventful.

Thank you for all the advice!

Originally Posted by Garak
In Canada, it's made by Safety-Kleen.

Is the supertech made by Safety-Kleen any good? I searched through the archives and it seems be well regarded but I read something about it using recycled Bay stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back