Supersyn Vs Delvac for a Gas engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2001 VW Jetta with the 1.8 Turbo engine.
I am currently using Mobil 1 supersyn 5W30.
My question is; would using 5w40 delvac 1 be better then the 5w30 SS.What are the downsides to using this oil(which as I understand it is meant for diesel).
I have lurked and searched extensively,but haven't been able to peice together this information. Both of these are easily available @ walmart.

[ February 06, 2003, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: Red Wolf ]

I can't ever find Delvac 1. how much different is it then Delvac 1300? Delvac has higher detergents to clean better.

I would give it a try. I am currently using it in one of the 7 cars I maintain. I'll be doing an oil analysis in a couple of months to compare it to the 10W-30 Mobil 1

Welcome Red Wolf,
(man, for some reason that sounds really Native American...)

I don't remember, is 5W-30 the recommended oil? Factory fill for all Saab turbos is M1 0W-40, & several Saab owners use the D1 5W-40 instead. Besides having better detergency, I think it has more anti-wear additives, which would be great for a turbo's bearings. I've just switched to M1 0W-40 in my turbo, so I can't give you any first-hand experience. According to Mobil's literature, the M1 15W-50's supposed to be better for turbos than any of their 30 wts, but going from 5W-30 to 15W-50's too big of a mental hurdle for most folks.

As far as I'm aware, the only downsides are having to justify draining it as frequently as M1 (it should last longer, I think), & getting past the non-gasoline-specific rating. Several folks here have convinced me that the slight differences in ash & other diesel-specific compounds won't affect anything on a gasoline engine or exhaust system.

[Edit:] I just discovered several VW 1.8T reports in the Used Oil Analysis section. If you haven't already seen them, you should take a look.

[ February 06, 2003, 06:52 PM: Message edited by: Greg Netzner ]

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
I can't ever find Delvac 1. how much different is it then Delvac 1300? Delvac has higher detergents to clean better.

I think that the Delvac 1 is synthetic and the 1300 Super isn't. It is the same design as Shell's Rotella T 15W-40 non synth brand.

Greg-> My name actually comes from my car I hva e Red Wolfsburg edition Jetta. I have looked at the oild analysis reports but I don't think there is one with Delvac 1. I think 5w40 is the actual factory recommended oil. If it wasn't -24 in the wind I'd go check my manual.
M1 ss 0w40 is what my cousin uses(same engine) but I can't source it locally. Plus some of the posts in the analysis section,if I remember correctly, suggest Delvac 1 5w40 maybe better.

My car also has no mods,no short haul driving (95% gets up to operating temp),Climate -30 to +30 celcius.

for cold winters use M1 0W-40 and switch to D1 5w-40 in summer. VW reccomnded thick oil for summertime in its models yrs ago but not anymore.
I wouldn't go for a lower grade than 40W though in summer even with a watercooled turbo like in your car.The catch with requiring 5W-40 for the 1.8T is that only Group III oils exist in US in that grade, some dealers give you BS to bring your car to them for oil changes with the "proper" Syntec oil. A lot of TDI folks just hand them a gallon of Rotella T or D1 but they might try telling you that D1 isn't appropriate for the 1.8T engine.In that case take it to your friendly mechanic and have him mark it in the receipt as M1 for the warranty purposes.

Pretty sure Delvac 1 5w40 is a synthetic and they have it the local walmart but I could have looked at delvac 1300.
The VW dealers here use castrol if you have a TDI they give you syntec, 1.8t gets dino. I have brought my own oil since the 1st oil change.

[ February 06, 2003, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: Red Wolf ]

quote:

Originally posted by scirocco16V:
.The catch with requiring 5W-40 for the 1.8T is that only Group III oils exist in US in that grade,

Delvac is not a group III- it's a PAO. Walmart doesn't carry Delvac 1- just the Delvac 1300 which is not syn.

In canada our walmarts carry both Delvac 1 and Delvac 1300, along with mobils other synthetic oils.

We use Delvac 1 in our Saturn SL2. This car is not driven that much ( around 5000-7000 kms a year ), so the oil is changed once a year.

5w40 is a good viscousity for year round performance. We buy the oil at our local walmart.

[ February 06, 2003, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: dcormann ]

quote:

Originally posted by scirocco16V:
for cold winters use M1 0W-40 and switch to D1 5w-40 in summer. VW reccomnded thick oil for summertime in its models yrs ago but not anymore.
I wouldn't go for a lower grade than 40W though in summer even with a watercooled turbo like in your car.The catch with requiring 5W-40 for the 1.8T is that only Group III oils exist in US in that grade

You're forgetting about Redline 5w40.

Greg, Schaeffer #701 5W-30 and #703 10W-30 are ACEA A3-02 and MB 229.3.

Ken

[ February 07, 2003, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

Ken2,
OK, OK, I get it. (Do you always follow people around like this?
grin.gif
)

Do you happen to have an actual copy of any of the MB specs? It'd be interesting to see how they differ from the ACEA specs they're based on.

Like I said, I think any full syn meeting ACEA A3 is best for a turbo. So the Amsoil 5W-30 HDD easily meets that. Normally, I wouldn't go for a syn blend like either of the Schaeffers, but it's very highly regarded 'round these parts, so it'd be something I'd definitely consider. But remember, this is just my opinion.

Perhaps the biggest issue with either of these is whether or not a prospective customer's willing to seek it out. For me personally, sometimes I am & sometimes I ain't. It all depends on the situation & other readily-available choices. For example, I've never even really considered using Redline until a shop recently opened up in town with it on their shelves.

And it really depends on what Red Wolf's willing to do.

quote:

Originally posted by Jay:
Amsoil's 0w-30 is ACEA A3 rated.

No, Amsoil CLAIMS it meets the A3 spec. That's not the same thing as passing the battery of tests necessary to get the API SL rating or the ACEA A3 rating.

quote:

Originally posted by Greg Netzner:
..Sometimes, the more you know, the harder it is, huh?
gr_eek2.gif
[/QB]

You got that right.
Thanks for all the replys,I am going with D1 on my next oil change.

Red Wolf,
With the info I've been gathering lately, I'd say a turbo needs a full syn oil with an ACEA A3/B3 rating. Beyond that, things get kinda fuzzy. Personally, I like the idea of lower xW viscosities for faster circulation when it's -6*F (like this morning), but also want the A3 HTHS & thicker hot viscosities for turbo protection. That puts me in the M1 0W-40/D1 5W-40 camp. Since M1 0W-40 isn't found in your area, but D1 is, I'd jump on the D1 in a heartbeat. Europe offers quite a few full syn A3-rated 0W-30s, & I would also consider those if they were readily available here.

Sometimes, the more you know, the harder it is, huh?
gr_eek2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back