Superior Home Depot customer service experience. Time They are A Changing.

Hermann

Site Donor 2023
Went to Home Depot for my new mailbox. The young lady at Customer Service. got me going in the general direction. I got to the rear of the store where she said to go but she was 10 aisles off. At the rear of the store I was confused looking around ( I hate these mega stores) An aisle clerk actually ask me if he could help.. He said the right side of the aisle 28. Went there and while still looking around a little he came up to me and asks if I needed more help. I asked a couple of questions and they were answered without trying to upsell me. He was quite helpful.

I guess there is still hope.

In general I have noticed a uptick in customer service in a lot of places. Nice. Restaurants you can do it to.

Home Depots in our area have always had great customer service in my experience.. better than their competition..I also like that their website shows you the Bin and Isle Location of an item if it is in stock I have found that to be accurate about 90% of the time and then I can get in and out quickly without delay..

So, employees all over the place in a period of record inflation. Hmm.
Their app gives you a complete map of the store. It even tells you where the item is located, right down to the bin.

I'm a big proponent of building out self-service capabilities like this - it is more efficient long-term than to have employees standing around.

big box stores’ three frustrations: 1. finding your desired item; 2. finding someone to help you; 3. long waits to pay for what you finally find.

self-checkout is a step in right direction.
There was no one in the self check so I went there. There were manned checkouts 1 or 2 deep. One item, easy peasy
The customer service in the aisle was appreciated. I must have not had my old curmudgeon face on.

Their app gives you a complete map of the store. It even tells you where the item is located, right down to the bin.

I'm a big proponent of building out self-service capabilities like this - it is more efficient long-term than to have employees standing around.
Maybe we just like interfacing with humans here in Flyover country. It's in our nature. As @GON said the nicest folks in the world live in MIssouri. (Usually)

The customer service at Home Depot varies by time and day. Seems if you go early in the morning during the week, you get good service. Later in the day or on weekends and it's not good.

Went to Home Depot for my new mailbox. The young lady at Customer Service. got me going in the general direction. I got to the rear of the store where she said to go but she was 10 aisles off. At the rear of the store I was confused looking around ( I hate these mega stores) An aisle clerk actually ask me if he could help.. He said the right side of the aisle 28. Went there and while still looking around a little he came up to me and asks if I needed more help. I asked a couple of questions and they were answered without trying to upsell me. He was quite helpful.

In general I have noticed a uptick in customer service in a lot of places. Nice. Restaurants you can do it to.
I would NOT call superior, but what it ought to be!!
It's just that they have performed at a sub-par level for so long, that people now see it as superior.

Maybe we just like interfacing with humans here in Flyover country. It's in our nature. As @GON said the nicest folks in the world live in MIssouri. (Usually)
I would argue that as a society we have limited time and resources, and we should be open to considering more efficient methods when available.

23 years ago I had a problem with the custom interior doors that I ordered from Home Depot. I called the store and I was given the number for the vendor's sales rep. I called him and explained the problem, he said that it was normal and I told him that for the price I paid it had better not be. We went back and forth and he finally agreed to come out and see for himself. I knew that he would blow me off when he got there, so I went to the store and explained everything to the assistant manager. He asked when the sales rep would as coming out and told me that he would be there too. When they came to look at the doors, the sales rep tried to convince me that there was no problem and the assistant manager would say "Replace them". And the doors were replaced. That same guy helped me out with several other issues while I was building the house. I was in that store so often that the customer service desk would greet me by name when I came in. Seven months after I moved in, Robert Nardelli became Home Depot's CEO and fired the help that knew how to use the products that they sold and hired part-timers to replace them. During his tenure, Home Depot stock flat lined while Lowe's stock doubled. And for this he received $210,000,000 when he left the company. Go figure.

I understand that Twitter has been “cutting the fat” in the last day or so as well.

Find your item on the HD app and use self checkout then use the time saved to chat up a clerk for a while. YOU may see a trip to HD as a chance to socialize but I bet most people don't no matter where they live. Whatever works. 👍

I didn't have such a great experience when I went to pick up bulk materials. First, they dropped the pallet of concrete right on the front of the trailer. That was massive tongue weight!

They tried to put over 2000 pounds on my small utility trailer. Then when I asked to put some on the truck they decided that they couldn't load trucks and made me load it all.

A few years ago I picked up stuff for a bathroom remodel ( shower stall, cabinets, double vanity ) and the guy loading it into the enclosed trailer was absolutely terrible. Must have been his first day on the forklift

Lowe's gives you the aisle and location on their website, so in theory, you don't need to interact with anyone. But I agree, customer service at certain places has gone up.
Hence why I love Ace Hardware, or an independent auto parts store.

Their app is fantastic. One of the best of all the retail stores purely with the in store functionality. I wish Costco's was that good.

Back