Super Tech Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drive a 2000 Cadillac Deville. I have been using Wal-Mart Super Tech Synthetic oil 5w or 10w 30 for over 2 years. The car burns oil (by design) so I want to go to a less expensive oil Super Tech conventional 5w or 10w 30. I heard through the grape vine that mixing synthetic oil with conventional oil you will get a "foaming effect" of the oils mixing? 1. Is this true? and 2. Will it harm the engine?

Last edited:
I've never heard that mixing dino with synth causes foaming. Since ST is a Gr. 3 it is dino oil that is super refined via hydrotreating and mixing with conventional should be no problem.
If I were burning oil I'd use the cheapest dino I could find.

PS: As far as the Caddy (Northstar, I assume) burning oil 'by design' I guess you could say that. It's called BAD design.

Synthetic mixes with dino oil without any problems. Most major oil manufacturers market a synth/dino blended product for sale at a price between dino and full synth.

Guys,

Thanks for the input. It is greatly appreciated! PBM, you are correct. It is a bad design for the Northstar engine. Apparently the metals used for the rings hold the carbon and allows oil to pass.

Last edited:
How much oil does your engine consume?

A lot of guys on the Caddy forums claim the Northstar oil consumption can be reduced with occasional full throttle runs. Some people also report good results by switching back to mineral oil and running it hard for an OCI or two.

One more thing to consider is the sump capacity, the engine is known to consume more oil with 8 quarts in the sump rather than 7.5

Some good reading: http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac-tech.html#noil

Rob Roy,

Thanks for the link. I am switching to dino blend next oil change and hope the oil consumption reduces. I generally seem to add a quart about 1K miles or earlier.

use some better oil. havoline would be better, used oil would be better. but i would not mix it unless you had a hankering urge. only because there were some engineers that came up with this for a reason, its ok for like a top off but not a fill

One of the requirements for oils these days is that they be fully compatible with each other, all of them. Mix away!

Originally Posted By: addyguy
One of the requirements for oils these days is that they be fully compatible with each other, all of them. Mix away!

01.gif

Originally Posted By: Petrou
use some better oil. havoline would be better, used oil would be better. but i would not mix it unless you had a hankering urge. only because there were some engineers that came up with this for a reason, its ok for like a top off but not a fill

I'm sorry dude, but I have to completely disagree with this.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Not true. Will not harm the engine.

According to our off topic forum, it will lower your credit rating.

Originally Posted By: Petrou

Used oil would be better?
smirk2.gif
That's nonsense. I've used ST oils for many, many years.

Almost every bottle of synthetic has a disclaimer indicating it mixes with both syn and regular oils. No harm whatsoever will befall your engine if you mix ST oils.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Originally Posted By: bepperb
Not true. Will not harm the engine.

According to our off topic forum, it will lower your credit rating.

LOL.gif

I have a friend that has a Buford GN that runs 11 second 1/4 times all day. His oil of choice? Super Tech SAE30 dino. With a Super Tech filter.
shocked2.gif

No oil related failures. Now if only he can keep the head gaskets in place....
57.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: paulo57509
I have a friend that has a Buford GN that runs 11 second 1/4 times all day. His oil of choice? Super Tech SAE30 dino. With a Super Tech filter.
shocked2.gif

No oil related failures. Noe if only he can keep the head gaskets in place....
57.gif

Yeah but how long does the oil stay in use? Any oil will put up with abuse if changed frequent enough IMO.

Also don't discount ST, it's a darn good oil for the money!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back