Super Tech 5w30 now SL not SM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
New 5qt jug and now SL. Anybody know what the differance is between the new stuff and old stuff?

Maybe after the lawsuit filed against Warren they re evaluated thier product line and the product doesnt meet SM?

I only say this because you say a new jug. Unless that is an old jug that was left over and new to you.

Uhh... I have a bad feeling about this. I have a really hard time believing that they just wanted to add more ZDDP and were willing to go back a spec to do it. Is there even a market for that, outside this forum?

Nobody else thinks WalMart wanted it to be cheaper, and the only way Warren would do it was to dumb down the specs to SL levels?

I'd be interested to see a VOA, but there are just too many other known good oils at about the same price.

The bottles are a different shape. I suspect that they are using a different supplier for the dino oil.

While Wal-Mart is VERY good at keeping fresh stuff on their shelves, I think the answer is;

Originally Posted By: heavyhitter
Unless that is an old jug that was left over and new to you.

Bill

Originally Posted By: jstutz
New 5qt jug and now SL. Anybody know what the differance is between the new stuff and old stuff?

I suspect somebody had this for 5 years, decided they did not want it and took it back to get their money back.

What kind of inventory did the store have?

Originally Posted By: Kruse

I suspect somebody had this for 5 years, decided they did not want it and took it back to get their money back.

Excellent point! That may just be what happened. The SL and new SM would have the SAME UPC.

Look it over carefully (with a blacklight,) if mobil made it (wide mouth) it may have a date code smeared somewhere.

These bottles aren't just in one store. They are in all the stores. WM inventory system is really good, I have a hard time believing they just found a bunch of old stock in a warehouse somewhere.

Originally Posted By: Kruse

Fully Stocked shelves of 5w30 and 10w30, all new jugs and all SL rated. Actually didnt even have any of the older jugs in there. Crazy thing is when you look at the qt size oil it is still same container and still SM. Im feeling like walmart is changing suppliers or maybe formulations to make it cheaper.

Quote:

Fully Stocked shelves of 5w30 and 10w30, all new jugs and all SL rated. Actually didnt even have any of the older jugs in there. Crazy thing is when you look at the qt size oil it is still same container and still SM. Im feeling like walmart is changing suppliers or maybe formulations to make it cheaper.

Wouldn't surprise me, I guess.
They peddle the ACCEL oil in most stores and very few people actually look for the SL or SM label anymore. I'll have to check my local stores to see what their ST is labeled.

Visited another WM and they are also new SL oils.

It must be a regional thing. Went to the nearest WM and all their house branded multi-vis is still SM. Maybe the SL stuff will be coming soon.

Maybe if you are a ST user, you should stock up a little incase the move to a lesser SL is comming.

Maybe, whoever did the labels and printed them, got the wrong information printed on the label and left out SM accidentally. It's hard to believe that a product that was SM for years, would now revert to only the older SL spec.

The new stock at my WM is all those funky shaped SL rated bottles now. Somebody needs to VOA this new stuff.

Originally Posted By: bepperb

Nobody else thinks WalMart wanted it to be cheaper, and the only way Warren would do it was to dumb down the specs to SL levels?

Ding ding ding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back