Super-Tech 5W-30 no bueno?

Subaru engines are known for oil consumption. Just the nature of the beast. Even rebuilds don't always help. Many owners do report less or no oil consumption just from switching to a more viscous oil. Rotella T6 5W40 is the most popular one in Subaru world. Mobil1 0W40 is the most capable one on Walmart shelf and cheaper than T6. These oils most likely won't fix oil consumption as heavy as yours is, but should help reduce it a little. Change PCV valve, inspect for leaks more thoroughly, check spark plugs for burned oil build up (have fun with this one on a Subaru), and change them while you're at it. If spark plugs look good - oil is leaking out, not burning.
sparkcolors.jpg

Some Subarus models had problems with ring tension being too loose and they burned oil. I hope I find a clean one of these oil users cheap and I would take it apart and put in custom fitted rings and reseal the engine. I like Subarus. My family had a few Subaru's and they were great, no oil use and they never broke down and are really good in snow. For now, I would just keep checking and adding oil.
I think posters before me were kind of harsh towards Subarus. My other purchase would be one of the VW diesels that cant pass emissions testing since there is no emission testing where I live. if the price was right. I think they crushed those cars though. I like Subarus a lot more than VW,s

Changing the PCV valve and then reporting back. Seems to be enough folks commenting on that.

Hello, so my Son's 2009 Subaru came with Mobil SuprSyn in it, and didn't seem to have any issue for the 2,000 miles before I did major maintenance. I switched to WM 5W-30 synthetic during the timing belt service at 105,000. Oil level keeps coming up low after 2,000 miles despite adding more. Mechanic says it's probably burning oil at higher rpm. Without going to a thicker viscosity, which synthetic is known to have the best additve package to help retard this issue? Should I go with Mobil 1 and hope for the best?
Try an additive that can possibly unstick the rings, may help. Also, change PCV valve if it hasn't already been done and try going back to Mobil Super Syn in the same grade as previously used. I doubt it's the brand of oil but sometimes changing brands could possibly lead to some consumption. Good luck.

Changing the PCV valve and then reporting back. Seems to be enough folks commenting on that.
What car and engine? If EJ253, That PCV is a tough one to get to. It is in the "valley" of the block on the passenger side center. Hoses coming from both rocker covers. Tricky hose factory snap clip hose clamps. Likely have to remove air inlet system from the throttle body.
Did one on my 2011 at near 70K. Old one was clean as a whistle and it didnt fix anything. YMMV.
Know that that subaru have "touchy" dipsticks. If the car is tipped even slightly left or right it will show
down a 1/2 qt or up a 1/2 quart low. Don't over fill it it will just eat that oil.
I pull the stick cold after sitting a few hours or overnight.
Pull and read, don't pull wipe and reinsert then read..

Sometimes when you switch brands of oil, there will be increased consumption during that first change... that eventually goes away.

Don't ask me how, but I have seen it myself. Or you could have a Subaru with an oil consumption issue. That happens too... ;)
I've observed the oil consumption issue as well. Called Mobil tech support. Guy somewhat opined this is not uncommon and will decrease.
Just wait and see what happens. But it is a Subaru...

Your Subaru was 3 qts low and you were out driving it around? Sounds like a you problem. You had to have someone else point this out to you? I don’t get it. When was the last time you checked the oil? How many miles to lose 3 qts?

With it being 3 quarts down, the light didn't come on? My 2001 civic didn't burn any oil. Sold it at about 250k for over $2k. My 2010 civic doesn't burn any oil, has 235k, looking to get to 300k before selling. 2013 accord...burned oil from day one. Seems like the trend with new cars.

In the case of this Subaru, might be worth doing an engine flush, maybe rings are stuck. But, I would think there was some damage done to the engine if it was 3 qts down and was being driven. No flush is going to fix that.

Missing my old 2001 Civic.....

In my original post I already said that it has been only 2,000 miles since the oil change. And for the record I have NOTHING against the Super-tech brand, as I use it EVERY SINGLE OCI in my other two cars: 1999 Toyota and my 2001 Subaru without issue. I made the switch in the early 2010's after WM scaled down it's shelves of Mobil Superclean 5,000 conventional. Thanks to those with the helpful replies about the pcv valve.

In my original post I already said that it has been only 2,000 miles since the oil change. And for the record I have NOTHING against the Super-tech brand, as I use it EVERY SINGLE OCI in my other two cars: 1999 Toyota and my 2001 Subaru without issue. I made the switch in the early 2010's after WM scaled down it's shelves of Mobil Superclean 5,000 conventional. Thanks to those with the helpful replies about the pcv valve.
That extreme consumption is not the oil then, as already mentioned it is a mechanical issue of some sort.

I've had similar oil consumption issues with my '09 Forester 2.5L now at 134K miles, even after replacing the PCV valve. Best results I've seen have been with Valvoline MaxLife syn blend, 10W-30 in Spring-Fall and 5W-30 for Winter. It still eats approx 1/2 quart over a 5K OCI, mostly after the first 3K miles of use. Tried Mobil 1 0W-40 and it consumed over a quart by 4K miles.

Just human nature to thing low cost meant low quality since many times in life it is true. If this was Amsoil, Redline, or Royal Purple I'm sure the title would read something like, "What causes high oil consumption on a 2009 Subaru?" Not " no Bueno?"

If you are using oil with the proper API specification for you engine, any high oil consumption will be caused by a mechanical issue in the engine not a property of the oil itself. The Supertech oil molecules are not commuting suicide due to low pricing. :)

What is your consumption rate per 1000 miles?

I doubt the BG will do anything except drain your wallet. The oil consumption is likely the reason the car was sold.
My literal thought. I also suspected they may have used 20w-50 and maybe overfilled it by a quart as well since a 10+ year and 100k+ subaru will do that.

I have a friend who got rid of his Subaru a while back for a slightly used accord. Was tired of the oil consumption and he told me it only had 87k on it i believe.

In my experience, switching brands for one or 2 oil changes then consumption goes away is a fairly tale, a specific oil burns during during the 1st use as well as the 50th use. You have to experiment which one causes less consumption. In my case M1 EP HM 5w30 causes lower consumption. Also depends on the specific engine.

I cleaned out the PCV valve thoroughly with brake and carb cleaner, until the internal valve mechanism rattled loudly. Also put new teflon tape on the thread, and replaced the hose. I'll be checking oil level everyday that the car is driven.

Back