Super duty running, 0w20 afe questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trav
Quote:
20 grade oils simply do not shear out of grade.

Interesting.

Quote:
The only engine that recommends 5W30 is the ecoboost.

If the 20w doesn't shear out of grade and the 5w30 does why not just spec the 20w for the ecoboost?
Could it be the heat from severe service and heat kill this thin oil?

His driving conditions are harsh, recommending 5w20 leaves him not much of a safety zone IMO.
He is not going to be able to back of the gas to drop the oil temp towing up hill.
grin.gif

I would run PU 5w30 at 5K OCI and sleep better.

Lets see there are UOA's with ecoboost engines that were filled with 5W20, viscosity range was still 20 grade, wear, and TBN retention, were consistent with 5W30's. The issue with the 3.5 ecoboost is fuel dilution. Plus turbo charger. Neither is a factor with the 6.2.

Quote:
Plus turbo charger

Why would that bother it if it doesn't shear?
The turbo generates a lot of heat, does it matter if the heat is generated by the turbo or pulling a trailer up hill and over dale?

UOA's from people who were running an oil outside Ford spec?

Quote:
wear, and TBN retention, were consistent with 5W30's

Like i said, if this is true then why doesn't Ford spec it?
Is it possible this oil just isn't good enough?
Its a fair and honest question.

What are the oil temperatures as it passes thru a turbocharger again? I am sure it is quite a bit higher than the 215-225F I experience at WOT on Cajon Summit with the 6.2 little cousin 5.4.

To answer your second question. It may be the whole safety cushion you keep stating for why you use higher grades of oil. By engine design a 20 grade oil may not have enough cushion for Ford engineering on the ecoboost yet. Does that mean a 20 grade does not protect as well for the ecoboost? Maybe/No but there is not enough cushion for that application.

Has Ford tested the snot out of the 6.2 and determined a 20 grade is more than sufficient? I willing to bet yes because this is for one of Fords flagship brands the F series pickup.

Thats all i am saying Dave nothing more or less.

The OP said..
Quote:
drive in pa and wv, so the hills can be brutal. I find my self at 75% throttle just to keep moving on some of the roads. Mild towing maybe 7k max, but usuallt 300lbs in the bed all the time, also over sized tires.

Under normal circumstances the 5w20 may be perfectly good enough no disagreement from me.
Under the conditions the OP describes and the fact the climate he operates in isn't extremely cold i just feel he may benefit from a little safety cushion.

75% throttle for extended times will sure push temps up there and going up hill he wont have the possibility to modify his driving to drop the temp.
I don't advocate going out of spec and just throwing thicker oil in something for the sake of it unless the situation really warrants it.

I ran 5w20 PU in a Ford with no issues at all, it was fine and yes fuel economy was better but i didn't tow anything and conditions were well suited for this oil.
This engine was back spec to 5w20 with the proviso that GVW not exceed 8000lb, if more than 5w30 must be used.

Originally Posted By: Trav

This engine was back spec to 5w20 with the proviso that GVW not exceed 8000lb, if more than 5w30 must be used.

When was this? From every owners manual I have read on the Ford 6.2 there has been no mention on this on the F150/F250.

Well my uoa came in

and I'm at work in wv go figure. that's why I love this forum is te the knowledge of all the people.
So far trucks been running exactly the same, but no loss in pressure. The dip stick looks great. And thank you for all the advice from both parties. If the uoa shows I need a 5w30 ill switch it up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back