Sunoco oil in glass bottles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was hoping you'd see this! It'd be cool to see what's in it.. but you may want to keep it as a souvenir. I would.

I'm getting fond of using old oil for something other than looking at. It was meant to be used even if it's been out of work for X amount of years. If it ain't making me $ or working for me, it's pretty useless in my book. Granted the 1985 QS cost me $, but it was for charity and out of sheer curiosity & enjoyment. Unless there is a buyer/collector out there who wants it, I might as well do something with it other than recycle it.

Maybe in Delaware it was .30 per gallon for Hootbro.

But, in Cockrell Hill, TX gas wars were an everyday happening and I use to buy regular gasoline for my 65 Mustang at .17-.19 per gallon all the time. The cheapest I remember seeing gas was .11 per gallon back in the 50's.

Back then you could take a $5.00 dollar bill, put $1.00 worth of gas in the car (which would let you drive around Dallas most of the night) take my date to the drive-in movie, and buy a pizza.

Hey what's the latest that anyone here remembers actually seeing any of these things in the wild? (As in actually being used at a gas station). I actually saw (and used) one as late as the mid '80s.

As a kid I can clearly remember being at the gas station with my Dad driving and seeing them topping off the oil from those bottles. That would have been late '60s or early '70s.

So basically they started to disappear somewhere about the same time that self service gas stations were becoming popular. I'm sure the "self serve" had something to do with it, but also the fact that newer cars would have been using less oil and that oil was more available in convenient to carry plastic bottles must have helped with their demise.

The funny thing was that I'd never bought oil in those bottles when they were around, I always topped off at home from the left overs of the last oil change. But then one day in the late '80s I was traveling and while fueling up noticed the oil was low on the dipstick. I was about to go buy a one liter plastic bottle to top off and then I noticed a crate of those glass bottles full of oil on a rack near the entrance to the workshop. I thought, wow that's retro and grabbed one and dumped her into the crankcase. The funny thing is that this was a self serve station, so I don't know how they really kept track of who'd taken oil or not, it would have been much harder to monitor than the fuel bowsers. I guess it was almost an honor system.

Just wondering if anyone else had encountered a place still using those things well past their time. Maybe traveling in some remote backwater or something?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RTexasF
I also remember gasoline in the 17-19 cents range in the 1960's. Texaco 100 octane was 25 cents per gallon for those that had to run premium. I'd say hootbro owes Grandpa an apology for popping off.....and maybe a few others here as well.
06.gif

I paid 19cents/ gallon in Houston in 1966 many times during the "gas wars". Normal "non war neighbords" price was around 21.9cents/gallon

I actually have a glass oil bottle on a shelf, too bad the logo is long gone, but otherwise its in decent shape, it even has a very tiny blip of oil left in it

Originally Posted By: tpattgeek
Too bad they're empty or ridgerunner would've used it on his wife's Grand Am...

Nice pic BTW
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: ridgerunner
Originally Posted By: tpattgeek
Too bad they're empty or ridgerunner would've used it on his wife's Grand Am...

Nice pic BTW

HEY I resemble that remark! Ya know what fella's, I have one of those Sunoco glass bottles, with spout and... it is 1/2 full of very old oil! Wonder what I can do with that? Hmmmmm... anyone want to pony up the $ for a VOA?

016.jpg

Well it took a while to get a pic posted but here is the proof.
anyone want some old oil?

Last edited:
Hey it's green, ought to be as good as the old GC...
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Looks like Kayo bottles.

Ahh you remember Kayo as well, I used their gas but would never touch one of those bottles of oil(generally the cheapest non-detergent grade they sold)... They'd set out side and get water, bugs and who knows what else in them...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back