Sunfire/Cavalier owners - oil checking question

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you check the oil, how far in do you push your combo dipstick/oil cap?

To fully close the oil adding hole, it screws in about half a turn on top of the tube. When you check the oil, do you take it out, wipe it, push it back in AND screw it in that half turn, or do you just push it 'till the cap touches the top of the tube, and then pull it out to check the level?

I know this sounds silly and anal, but I'm not sure how to get an accurate oil level reading. Please help!

I know what you are talking about - I have a friend with a 1998 Sunfire. Unfortunately, I have a 2004 Sunfire and the dipstick is now separate (not part of the oil cap).

When I worked at an oil changing place, the way we did it was to take it out, wipe it, push it back in, screw it in for the half turn then pull it out for the reading.

Nice to know I was doing something right back then at that oil changing job.
tongue.gif

I guess then if I had a Honda I wouldn't do that.

and what the heck IS a Honda HRR216PDA?

I'd change the oil/filter, add the recommended amount of oil, and try it both ways to see which results in the level being closest to the "full" mark.

quote:

"I guess then if I had a Honda I wouldn't do that.
and what the heck IS a Honda HRR216PDA?"

LOL
lol.gif

Mud, I threw that in for laughs; but a apparently, the only person laughing is me. Please forgive me for my twisted humor.

Honda small engines are set up with a dip stick that you screw in all the way, unscrew it and wripe it off, then insert it back in (with out threading), then pull it out and check the reading.

A Honda HRR216PDA with GCV160 Engine:

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/ModelDetail.asp?ModelName=hrr216pda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back