Suggestions on a 94 Acura Legend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

I've been lurking for a while but am finally going to ask for some advice here.

I picked up a VERY clean 1994 Acura Legend L (3.5 v6) sedan this weekend to replace the Mitsubishi galant my wife just killed.

This car "seems" to be in very very good shape for its age and milage (131k).

I didn't know if there are any gotchas I should be looking out for with this particular engine and wanted to know if the typical advice of running some AUTORX cycles through this car would be advisable. I was planning on using M1 5w30 (w/ wix filter) after the AUTORX cycles.

I'm hoping it still has quite a bit of life left as it seems to be a decent automobile. Also, if anyone wants to chime in on thoughts on the automatic trans please feel free to do so. I know some people say leave it alone, others say its fine to freshen up. I wasn't planning on doing a power flush or anything, just a couple of pan drain/top off cycles with Honda ATF.

Thanks so much for your help guys!

-Jamie

I think your oil choice is fine, although many will argue hard to really fault M1 5w30 in your engine.

On the trans, check with Honda, but I believe the '94s well pre-date Honda's special ATF. Factory specs for your vintage is probably Dexron II. Regular Dexron III should be fine but double check. I would just do the drain/refill a few times with a good Dexron III (assuming it is approved) and be done with it. Saves some nice $ over the Honda stuff to boot.

the spec went from dex II directly to ATF Z1.

they reccomend against using dexIII (only in a pinch), flush and fill with Z1 afterwards.

the engine and transmission are rather durable.
there is one user here that had some issues with a legend, but i can't remember what.

I would advise against spending the money on RX for that Honda engine.

If anything, I'd dump a quart of Marvel Mystery oil in at the next oil change, substituting for a quart of oil.

Throw a PureONE filter on and run it for 1500 Miles. Change it again, and run it 2,000 miles. Pull the valve cover and check it out if you want to.

MMO is readily available at Wal-Mart, parts stores, etc. That is why I like to use it, plus I have used it without problems. It will loosen up sticking lifters, help clean out passages, remove varnish, etc.

The 2005 Honda Reccomendation for changing transmission fluid is:

Drain fluid. Refill with 3 quarts of Honda Genuine ATF. Drive down the road, heat up fluid. Repeat 2 more times.

I'd change the plugs, oil, filter, air filter and trans fluid. Change the lights out next month and get a brake check, tire balance and rotation.

M1 is a great oil for Honda engines...

Run a few short OCIs and then youre good to go.

JMH

Looks like I had a typo on that engine size it's a 3.2 (before anyone rips on me).

Thanks for the advice guys! I hope to give it a proper maint start this weekend.

since you don't know the maint. history and previous OCI history, I would go with the gentle AutoRX engine cleaning instead of something than can dump a plugging load of garbage blocking the oil pump pickup...

AutoRX performs well cleaning the ring packs were most of the real problems that affect performance are....run a compression/leakdown test before and after and post to forum

a couple ounces of AutoRX into the auto tranny for 1k miles...then a gentle flush total change out the tranny cooler return line..10 quarts in and out, 2 at a time
add an inline filter

I would strongly recommend that you run only Honda ATF-Z1 in your tranny. I have no desire to help Honda make money on the fluid. But the one thing veteran Honda mechanics have said for all Honda/Acura ATs is that it is very important to use the Z1. None of them has ever said to us that we should use the use the Honda OEM engine oil, use whatever brand we like. We use only the Z1 in our Accord.

Yep, only Honda fluids in Honda/Acura for Coolant, Power steering and ATF.

On some of the manuals you can use 10W30 or 40, or use Honda's MTF.

I guess the "instead of something that can dump a load" comment was directed at my suggestion to use some MMO.

I've used MMO for about 4 years in different vehicles and have SEEN it clean up the inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back