Suggestions for Oil Filters

Which of these are the best oil filters in your opinion?
I can get a Fram PH4967 at WM for <$4 + tax.

Attachments

• OFs.JPG
    OFs.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 172
Are those your only choices? What is your criteria for a good filter?

I used a Mahle OC330 and was impressed by its construction. Don't know if the Mahle you have listed is made in Austria as well.

Didn't we just do this?

Like I said in the other thread, from that list for a cheapish filter - the Delco.

Second choice for cheapish is the Fram PH from Wally

I ran an Fram XG or a Toyota (Denso, but not the same as aftermarket Denso) on my Prius.

Are those your only choices? What is your criteria for a good filter?

I used a Mahle OC330 and was impressed by its construction. Don't know if the Mahle you have listed is made in Austria as well.

Yes, these are for my Prius C.
I only drive up to 5k miles a year, mostly around town with 0w20 FS oil.
I was told that Federated oil filters may not be too efficient so I'm thinking of switching to Fram PH4967 or equivalent.

Didn't we just do this?

Like I said in the other thread, from that list for a cheapish filter - the Delco.

Second choice for cheapish is the Fram PH from Wally

I ran an Fram XG or a Toyota (Denso, but not the same as aftermarket Denso) on my Prius.
A "cheapish" filter?
I'm not wanting to pinch pennies here.
My Prius C deserves a good oil filter.

My son owns a 96 Corolla that specs the 4967. He's currently using a Japanese filter (I can't remember the name brand) that is equivalent to a 3614.
I'm not saying to use a 3614 filter, but a WIX GOLD, NAPA GOLD, or M1, would be my choices.

Bosch premium is decent as well, but too narrow of a price difference between wix and bosch. go with the wix gold. If you want to spend a lil bit more you can get yourself a fram UG, or wix XP.

A "cheapish" filter?
I'm not wanting to pinch pennies here.
My Prius C deserves a good oil filter.

My apologies if I misinterpreted, in the prior thread the focus seemed to be on filters that cost between 2 and 3 dollars.

I would run a Fram XG on it if it was me.

I understand Toyota may now be supplying Purolator made filters - would avoid anything Purolator made. That leaves out Bosch, Mobil 1, Purolator and quite a few others. Purolator Boss is a decent filter, but it is usually at least a buck more than an XG so it is out for me. Wix/Napa is also a decent filter but they are comparatively expensive as well and there have been some changes in the line, gotta make sure you're actually getting a WIX.

If you can get a Toyota Denso that would be my second choice. (Aftermarket Denso is very poor for this car IMO)

It you don't want to spend 10 bucks for the XG, the TG and PH are still good filters descending in cost.

How about the Wix 51394 listed here in my pic?
Is this Wix not as good as the Wix Gold or is this the same one painted black?

I noticed the Wix XP in the premium section.

Last edited:
When you say Fram Ultra, do you mean the Fram PH4967?
Fram line is Extra Guard (PH), Tough Guard (TG) and Ultra (XG) so he means XG4967. Advance Auto also sells the Force and Titanium Fram which are basically TG and XG filters though there are some minor differences and they are more expensive.

I've cut some of these apart, and posted them here so have a look if you like.

Wix sells 2 lines of filters the regular and XP (at least at consumer level) and NAPA sells versions NAPA are Silver and GOLD IIRC but i could be wrong there.

Last edited:
So the Fram OCOD / PH9967 would be better than the Federated PG4476F I'm running now but would the Toyota OEM filter be even better?

And do you think the Fram TG9967 and Wix XP would be better than the Toyota OEM filter?

Back