Suggestions for Oil Filters

So are there failures that I’m not hearing about? Hung up on the “cheap” comment I guess.

Are you talking about my comment, because I said they were cheapish and $2.80 (RA price PER) is cheap. Cheap inexpensive not cheap crummy, and did you miss the part where I said that would be the one i would pick?

But are they shipping free, because a PH @ $3.88 is probably a better deal if not.

Do you know how many miles I could run a Federated PG4476F in my car for?

If your car could fit bigger a filter with a larger diameter filter RA is closing out some of the filters that fit 2.5L suzuki V6 engines, these filters have the same sized gasket as the
small filters toyota uses on their 4 cylinder engines but overall bigger around like a 3614.
1610549024097.png

I might do the unthinkable this spring and tick you all off and do an OCI and just add fresh ST FS 0w20 and a new Fram PH---- filter and then do a Fram / ST OCI every 6 months and not bother with a UOA. For the $40 for the UOA + TBN I could pay for about 3 Fram / ST OCIs.
If I got brave and patient I could probably run the Fram / ST for 12 months at up to 5,000 miles.
Super Tech FS oil and Fram PH sounds like a good combination.

If I got brave and patient I could probably run the Fram / ST for 12 months at up to 5,000 miles.
Super Tech FS oil and Fram PH sounds like a good combination.
If you are not doing a lot of short trips then that combo would be no problem going 12 months or 5,000 miles with that combo. The PH is rated upto 10K miles, so if your engine is pretty clean inside (from good routine OCI maintenance) it can do 5,000 with ease.

If you are not doing a lot of short trips then that combo would be no problem going 12 months or 5,000 miles with that combo. The PH is rated up to 10K miles, so if your engine is pretty clean inside (from good routine OCI maintenance) it can do 5,000 with ease.
I do mostly all short trips around town but I bring the engine up to operating temperature at least 2 or 3x a week.
Will that be OK?

I do mostly all short trips around town but I bring the engine up to operating temperature at least 2 or 3x a week.
Will that be OK?
How do you bring the engine up to operating temp?

How do you bring the engine up to operating temp?
By driving it around the local area for 15-30 minutes which seems long enough for it to warm up.
Yesterday I drove to the next town South of here that's 8 miles away.
I go to this town at least 2x a week now.

By driving it around the local area for 15-30 minutes which seems long enough for it to warm up.
Yesterday I drove to the next town South of here that's 8 miles away.
I go to this town at least 2x a week now.
IMO, that's not sufficient. I drive a lot like you, and have developed a routine that I feel may be more effective. Based on conversations with many people over the years, I make sure to get out for a long highway drive - 40 to 60 miles - a couple of times per month.

IMO, that's not sufficient. I drive a lot like you, and have developed a routine that I feel may be more effective. Based on conversations with many people over the years, I make sure to get out for a long highway drive - 40 to 60 miles - a couple of times per month.
OK, thank you for the heads up.
I can do this.

This car has the same basic engine as a GII Prius except that it is officially speced for 0/20. There has been great debate as to whether there are actually any differences in the engine. IIRC the Engine specifications spelled out some difference like "micro polished" crank or something.

Car will go much more than 5000 miles on an OCI if it is getting warm, it has essentially no "all electric" range so the engine is running most of the time. Still official OCI is I believe 12/5000.

IIRC there isn't room for a larger diameter filter and the filter is low on the front so anything much longer than the 7317 size TRD filter kinda puts it in harms way, but that is from memory, I sold my GII about 2 years ago.

Are you talking about my comment, because I said they were cheapish and $2.80 (RA price PER) is cheap. Cheap inexpensive not cheap crummy, and did you miss the part where I said that would be the one i would pick?

But are they shipping free, because a PH @ $3.88 is probably a better deal if not.
I reckon I did.

Back