Suggestions for Oil Filters

Out of the choices, Wix.
I like the Fram TG4967 or XG and either of the Wix filters.
I have a gut feeling that the Fram TG, XG, or one of the Wix offerings will do a better job than an OEM filter.
Actually they all sound like good filters.

Of those shown in the posted picture, I'd choose the Wix. However, I just purchased a Fram XG for my sweetie's Prius, $8.97 at WalMart. Her driving situation is similar to yours.

I have a gut feeling that the Fram TG, XG, or one of the Wix offerings will do a better job than an OEM filter.

I have used all three and all three are excellent, you really can't make a bad decision if you are going to get any of them.

For 5000 miles, especially on a hybrid, Wix/NAPA Gold, or even plain old Fram PH4967s would be fine. Now, if you want to go crazy and leave it kn for multiple OCIs, then Fram Ultra or Wix XP/NAPA Platinum.

So the Fram OCOD / PH9967 would be better than the Federated PG4476F I'm running now but would the Toyota OEM filter be even better?

And do you think the Fram TG9967 and Wix XP would be better than the Toyota OEM filter?
The Extra Guard Fram (PH prefix) filters have been improved, OEM Toyota is a rock catcher, low efficiency. IMO, the Tough Guard isn't worth the extra cash now that the EGs have nitrile ADBVs. Your Chinese (Premium Guard made) Federated is not really good in efficiency. But, at only 5K, on a hybrid which will not be running the gas engine all the time, ANY quality filter will be fine. Even a lowly PH Fram or Champ.

#1 Wix
#2 Denso
#3 Bosch
The Wix and the Denso are 2 of the best sellers at rockauto.
I think the Wix can trap smaller particles to 21 microns. The Denso is 30 microns.
They both have the silicon ADBV.

Reactions: JC1
I'm not sure why we keep circling back to RockAuto Filters.

The Factory Denso is likely a poor performer from an efficiency stand point, Amsoil tested a Toyota filter and got something like 55% out of it. It is an exquisitely made filter for relatively cheap and has served many well. A former member who would certainly know said the that the Japanese OEMs do not place a high value on efficiency.

An example:

Again, it has been reported Toyota USA is now suppling Purolator made filters.

The aftermarket Denso is not the same filter. It is also not the blue FTF of old. I find this line un impressive overall.

An Example:

IMO, for extended runs the XG is the filter to get.

Example:

For shorter runs the PH or TG is fine. I agree with addition of the silicone ADBV in the EG renders the TG somewhat of a non factor, the TG is really not worth it considering the minimal extra cost of the XG.

I am not sure if you can still get them, but TRD sold a filter for the Prius that was the size of a 7317 and made by Champion Labs. They were not cheap.

Example:

Very stout filter.

I have not cut apart the WIX for a Prius, however they are the same diameter and shorter than a 7317 equivalents and about same size as a 6606 equivalents (Different threads than either though) so you might be able to draw some conclusions from those (which are much more common cut open).

Examples (NOTE the numbers will NOT fit a prius, they are provided for general construction overview.)

Last edited:
I have some memory of running Wix filters. At that time the Wix for my car was smaller than other brands and I didn't like using smaller capacity oil filters but these days, most all oil filters for my car seem to be the same size so that's no longer an issue.

I've run Fram PH filters recently and liked them and they seem like a good bet at this time for my Prius C.
I'm planning on my next OCI to be PP FS 0w20 and a Fram PH4976.
The price of the Fram seems right and I like the silicone ADBV as well as the coated grip, as well as the fact that they're claimed to catch particles as small as 21 microns. This should work good for a 1 year OCI at up to 5k miles.

This is a very interesting section. I'm glad to have done some homework and learned quite a bit about oil filters here.
Thanks for your participation.

Any of them will work. I’d be more concerned with future oil consumption on a Prius.

keep in mind, there are thousands of Prii being abused as taxis, Lyfts, Ubers or as Amazon Prime Now/Doordash cars. And those are all using the cheapest bulk 5W-30 and a Chinese or jobber(Champ or Fram TLE) filter. And they’ll take a licking and keep on ticking.

A better job at what ? You vehicles engine life will not be affected by your choice of the oil filters unless the filter fails. The Air cleaner is the most important filter.

I’d be more concerned with future oil consumption on a Prius.
That was only on Generation II Prius if 2004-2009 if I'm not mistaken.
The Prius C which is what I have, has not experienced oil consumption issues.
keep in mind, there are thousands of Prii being abused as taxis, Lyfts, Ubers or as Amazon Prime Now/Doordash cars. And those are all using the cheapest bulk 5W-30 and a Chinese or jobber(Champ or Fram TLE) filter. And they’ll take a licking and keep on ticking.
Probably. Prius owners like me who seem to obsess over their oil and filters should do very well in the long term with the longevity of their Prius.

A better job at what ? You vehicles engine life will not be affected by your choice of the oil filters unless the filter fails.

Possibly.
I was just thinking today that the chance of it making much of a difference if I use Fram instead of the Federated is small.
The federated oil filter as far as I know, seems to perform very well. It's very well made, has a plastic cover over the bottom, has a nitrile rubber ADBV, and costs only about $2.25 each at Federated auto parts stores. But the data for the Federated seems unavailable and we determined that Federated oil filters may not be very efficient which I assume to be an oil flow issue. OEM Toyota filters are considered "rock catchers" which seems to be particle size issue.
I could probably keep running the Federated filter with ST and PP oils changed at 12 months and never live to see the engine use a drop of oil.
Still, there's nothing wrong with caring about your car and its oil and filters.

At $4 each for a Fram PH4976 filter and changing my oil once per year, it's not going to make much of a difference cost wise.
I'm not going to some shop and paying $50+ to have them change my oil.
Changing my own oil and filter using PP 0w20 and a Fram PH9976 will cost me $21.16.
The same OCI with ST and a Fram will be $13.75.
Can't go wrong at that price.
ST and a Federated filter would cost me a whole $12 per OCI.

Reactions: JC1
Delco cheap? Question. What brand of filter comes from the factory (and used by the dealerships) on Corvette, Cadillacs, Denali, and all other brand new GM vehicles?

Delco cheap? Question. What brand of filter comes from the factory (and used by the dealerships) on Corvette, Cadillacs, Denali, and all other brand new GM vehicles?
That would be AC Delco, is that right?

And Delco filters are made by champ labs, a Fram/Trico company. And Champ makes countless millions of filters a year not just for OEM service(I think Harley, Briggs & Stratton and Toyota also buy filters from Champ) consumption, but they also supply the quick lubes(Service Champ) and Walmart(ST).

And Delco filters are made by champ labs, a Fram/Trico company. And Champ makes countless millions of filters a year not just for OEM service(I think Harley, Briggs & Stratton and Toyota also buy filters from Champ) consumption, but they also supply the quick lubes(Service Champ) and Walmart(ST).
So are there failures that I’m not hearing about? Hung up on the “cheap” comment I guess.

Back