Suggestions for a beginner whiskey drinker?

Another question regarding liquors. What cold alcohol carried in a small stainless steel curved flask that fits nice in a side pocket, would provide the greatest feeling of warmth when one consumed just one decent shot of it, after being out in very cold weather hunting all day with wind and literally freezing rain?

Many many years ago I went deer hunting with my dad and uncle. I climbed up into a tree and sat on a very small platform that someone had put in that tree. It was a cold day, and it began to lightly rain, and the rain was freezing on everything including my gun that I was holding across my lap. After a few hours I was really cold, and I looked down at my gun that was a Remington pump action 30 ought 6 and there was more than a 1/4 inch of ice on the gun including the ejection section. I though that if I ever saw a dear that gun might not even work, so I tried to work the action and the ejection opened but the ice stayed in place and the live shell was stuck below the ice. I though that is a good enough excuse for me, and I went back to the car with the key I had to run the engine and get warm. My uncle who was an avid deer hunter was already in the car with the engine running, and he commented on how cold it was. He offered me a shot from his flask and what ever that was went through me with a warming effect I will never forget. We waited in the car with the engine running for my dad to arrive and while we were waiting there was a spring sound as the shell flew from the side of my gun when the ice finally melted.

I do not know what that drink was that was in that flask, and I heard it said that when you are cold alcohol is a false warmth, but what ever was in that flask sure made me feel warm.

So what would be you go to flask drink for cold conditions?
Many many old school hunters in my area drink and pack Blackberry Brandy.

Last edited:
Many many old school hunters in my area drink and pack Blackberry Brandy.
I was going to say the same. The Polish blackberry brandy.

Attachments

• LerouxPolishBlackberryBrandy_1080x.jpg
    LerouxPolishBlackberryBrandy_1080x.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 8
first hard drink i ever had was a shot or two of cherry brandy that was passed around when i was 13-14 and out ice fishing, for the first time with my (polish-lithuanian) dad and his cohorts. i knew from boy scouts that alcohol and cold don’t mix, but it was freaking cold that new england day and that cherry brandy slid down just fine.

Wild Turkey Rare Breed
Jim Beam Black
Elijah Craig
Makers Mark

I really believe if you do not like any of those Bourbons are not for you.

Funny thing, Number_35, it really exists. This is the one I've tried. It's actually quite good and very budget friendly.

m53222_3.jpg

What whisky is extremely easy on the stomach, and taste great? I have only tried a few whiskeys in my life and most of them even in only one shot, ripped my stomach up to the point that it bothered me the next day?

So if I were to try a whiskey, my first requirement would be that it be gentle on the stomach. Second is that it taste great.

Any suggestions?
I recommend a few ice cubes to put out the fire. The more water, the less trouble later on. Also, I leave the next day open for recovery. I mostly drink whisk(e)y for the effect. I enjoy being drunk. I make it an annual occasion. I plan them out a yr in advance. Recovery is factored in. Due to the pandemic, it didn't happen in 2020.

I’m a bourbon drinker and have been a bartender for 35 years, I always recommend Basil Hayden‘s as a “starter“ bourbon. It’s 80 proof so it doesn’t bite you, has a nice complexity, and has a marvelous finish. It’s more than $25 but it’s a great start to enjoying bourbon.
Resurrecting this old thread since someone liked a comment of mine from close to two years ago.
A friend of ours had a nearly full bottle of Basil Hayden's Dark Rye and didn't like it.
I said give me a shot of that and let me see what I think about it.

I took the bottle home.

It's a blended rye, with some port added, so it has the pepper bite of a rye combined with the sweet of the port.
I like the combination, but can understand how it would be a polarizing drink. The bite is tempered and not everyone likes sweet in their spirits.

I don't know if the professionals think it's good, but I enjoyed it.
I finally finished the bottle (I got it around Thanksgiving IIRC) a few weeks ago.
It was a nice night cap during my standby rotations when I was out on a call and wanted to have something warm and sweet before I went to bed. A finger or two of that was an enjoyable experience before I nodded off to sleep.

Back