Suggestions for a beginner whiskey drinker?

If you like limoncello take a stab at making your own its quite simple, requires few ingredients and is infinitely better than the commercial stuff. I tried it once and have been making it ever since.

I made my own a couple years ago but added too much simple syrup. I'd make it again but I have 2 bottles on hand and I don't drink it much.

Wife and I made jello shots and have them in the fridge now. LOL.

A friend recently turned me on to various Japanese whiskeys. The have a different flavor profile from the American whiskey I was more familiar with, but then, I suppose Canadian and Irish whiskey is the same way. I very much encourage someone who is adventuring with whiskey to try some Japanese pours. Like you, I really enjoy them.
When I was in the Corps stationed in Japan I drank 7 & 7 it was 300 yen,about 90 cents at that time(1968)
Near payday I had to switch to Sun Tory at 200 yen.
Not bad but not Seagrams 7.

I’m a bourbon drinker and have been a bartender for 35 years, I always recommend Basil Hayden‘s as a “starter“ bourbon. It’s 80 proof so it doesn’t bite you, has a nice complexity, and has a marvelous finish. It’s more than $25 but it’s a great start to enjoying bourbon.

I’m a bourbon drinker and have been a bartender for 35 years, I always recommend Basil Hayden‘s as a “starter“ bourbon. It’s 80 proof so it doesn’t bite you, has a nice complexity, and has a marvelous finish. It’s more than $25 but it’s a great start to enjoying bourbon.
im not a bourbon drinker at all, appreciate this starter bourbon recommendation.

When I was in the Corps stationed in Japan I drank 7 & 7 it was 300 yen,about 90 cents at that time(1968)
Near payday I had to switch to Sun Tory at 200 yen.
Not bad but not Seagrams 7.
i first went to japan with the navy in 1984, 350yen = $1, sweet.

amazing that suntory whiskey was lower-end compared to seagrams way back then. whiskey from japan (and taiwan) is highly rated these days. suntory bought jim beam in 2014.

yep, they could be called on it though.
The marketing claim is that the stuff is "as good as the finest scotches" so they use "whisky" instead of "whiskey." Makers Mark also uses the whisky spelling, as do all Canadian whiskies, including Crown Royal, which often gets thought of as American.

Good stuff. It is made by Jim Beam. They have an expression called Old Granddad that uses the same mashbill. It is sold in 80, 100, and 114 proof varieties. The "old granddad" on the label is actually Basil Hayden. OG is significantly less expensive. All are made using Beam's "high rye" mashbill. The main differences will be based upon the barrels selected for each product.

i first went to japan with the navy in 1984, 350yen = $1, sweet.

amazing that suntory whiskey was lower-end compared to seagrams way back then. whiskey from japan (and taiwan) is highly rated these days. suntory bought jim beam in 2014.
In 1968 we got 360 yen for $1.

Shot and a beer that's how we roll in Wisconsin.
Bulleit Bourbon always a favorite and reccomend.
20210204_202857.jpg

What whisky is extremely easy on the stomach, and taste great? I have only tried a few whiskeys in my life and most of them even in only one shot, ripped my stomach up to the point that it bothered me the next day?

So if I were to try a whiskey, my first requirement would be that it be gentle on the stomach. Second is that it taste great.

Any suggestions?

What whisky is extremely easy on the stomach, and taste great? I have only tried a few whiskeys in my life and most of them even in only one shot, ripped my stomach up to the point that it bothered me the next day?

So if I were to try a whiskey, my first requirement would be that it be gentle on the stomach. Second is that it taste great.

Any suggestions?
under $25? irish. cut it with water. nosh on something. savor it slowly. dont mix a whiskey drinking session with different alcoholic drinks. glass of water on the side. two and done.

over $25? move to a smooth, sweeter scotch, e.g. glenmorangie. stay away from the peaty, tobacco, leathery stuff.

over $65? try kavalan from taiwan.

Any suggestions?
Ballantines Blended Scotch Whiskey won my taste test shootout for an inexpensive smooth easy drinking whiskey with splash of water. I bought a 2 smaller bottles of different brands, kept the winner, and then bought the next bottle and kept the winner of that. It beat out forty creek barrel select, crown royal whisky, and teachers highland scotch whisky, then I stopped. 40 creek was memorably rough tasting, and teachers came in second.
A splash of water helps the stomach and brings out the flavours.

under $25? irish. cut it with water. nosh on something. savor it slowly. dont mix a whiskey drinking session with different alcoholic drinks. glass of water on the side. two and done.

over $25? move to a smooth, sweeter scotch, e.g. glenmorangie. stay away from the peaty, tobacco, leathery stuff.

over $65? try kavalan from taiwan.
Glenmorangie...

Haven't had one of their drams in years. Time to go find a bottle.

One of the problems I run into when trying a new Tequila is when you first open the bottle and take those first few sips it might not be at it's best. In other words I find that a few days after the bottle has been opened it taste different, sometimes better sometimes worse but usually always different.

I whiskey the same?

One example was this summer my wife got me a bottle of Don Julio 1942 for my B-day. I can't tell you how stoked I was to try this. So I open it up pour a little into my snifter and swirl it around and start to do a little nosing. My first thoughts were who would pay $160 for this, the sip was not much better but after a few days it seemed to come to life, sweet citrus spicy pepper, by the end of the bottle I was wanting more but it's a little steep to be a daily sipper.

I think anyone trying a whiskey and finds it to strong to try tequila, just my two cents.

Any suggestions?
start slow with Kool Aid and work your way up.

I made my own a couple years ago but added too much simple syrup. I'd make it again but I have 2 bottles on hand and I don't drink it much.

Those jello shots and gummy licorice candy soaked in some strong alcohol dink can be very deceiving when it comes to keeping track of how much alcohol one is consuming. Several Christmases ago the relatives were all gathered at one of our relatives houses, and one of the guest was getting into jello shots and gummy candies soaked in alcohol so she brought those to the gathering. A few hours into the gathering someone went to use the upstairs bathroom and found her unconscious and unresponsive on the bathroom floor. They thought she was dead, she was soooooo out of it. When she cam around she was very apologetic, especially so to the person who found her for the scare she had put them through. Before the evening was over she was saying how she would never do anything like that again. And to my knowledge she has not. And I never saw her promoting jello shots or gummy candies again.

And BTW she is not a 98 Lb weakling, and being a decent size person I think it took quite a bit of alcohol to KO her that way.

Last edited:
Another question regarding liquors. What cold alcohol carried in a small stainless steel curved flask that fits nice in a side pocket, would provide the greatest feeling of warmth when one consumed just one decent shot of it, after being out in very cold weather hunting all day with wind and literally freezing rain?

Many many years ago I went deer hunting with my dad and uncle. I climbed up into a tree and sat on a very small platform that someone had put in that tree. It was a cold day, and it began to lightly rain, and the rain was freezing on everything including my gun that I was holding across my lap. After a few hours I was really cold, and I looked down at my gun that was a Remington pump action 30 ought 6 and there was more than a 1/4 inch of ice on the gun including the ejection section. I though that if I ever saw a dear that gun might not even work, so I tried to work the action and the ejection opened but the ice stayed in place and the live shell was stuck below the ice. I though that is a good enough excuse for me, and I went back to the car with the key I had to run the engine and get warm. My uncle who was an avid deer hunter was already in the car with the engine running, and he commented on how cold it was. He offered me a shot from his flask and what ever that was went through me with a warming effect I will never forget. We waited in the car with the engine running for my dad to arrive and while we were waiting there was a spring sound as the shell flew from the side of my gun when the ice finally melted.

I do not know what that drink was that was in that flask, and I heard it said that when you are cold alcohol is a false warmth, but what ever was in that flask sure made me feel warm.

So what would be you go to flask drink for cold conditions?

Back