Suggestions for a beginner whiskey drinker?

I'm looking for a whiskey for casual drinking without mixing it with anything. I'd like to stay under $25/bottle.

As a beginner, I've tried "regular" Jack Daniels and the "rye" Jack Daniels (https://www.thewhiskeyshelf.com/jack-daniels-tennessee-rye-review/). I liked the rye version better than the regular Jack Daniels, but they're still awfully "raspy" is you ask me.

I've tried regular Canadian Club and that was certainly better than either of the Jack Daniels, but I'm still looking.

I've read a lot of online reviews, but I thought I'd rather ask you all...I value your opinion more.

:)

Ed

I suggest Maker's Mark with a really good cut of beef such as filet mignon, ribeye, prime rib, etc... I like no mixers, on the rocks is the way I prefer.

Remember a bourbon is always a whisky but not all whisky is a bourbon :cool:

I suggest Maker's Mark with a really good cut of beef such as filet mignon, ribeye, prime rib, etc... I like no mixers, on the rocks is the way I prefer.

Remember a bourbon is always a whisky but not all whisky is a bourbon :cool:
I'd recommend that as well.

I like mine with 1 small cube of ice.

My go to Scotch is Whyte & MacKay Blend. I prefer it to my single malts (and I have about a dozen). Heresy I know, but that's what I like.

Smooth and as a bonus, reasonably priced.

Last edited:
Reactions: JC1
If I were in your shoes I'd consider trying whiskeys from the many small distilleries which seem to be popping up all over the place.
You can "always" try the large commercial brands.
We just bought a whiskey for a friend from a distillery in Bolton Landing, NY (Lake George) and he said it was SUPERB.
Any idea if distilleries are propagating in your neck of the woods?

I hear you wpod.

My advice is spend at least 1 paycheck on nothing but buying whiskey. Drink a different half a bottle, every morning before work. The one that makes you happy, and lets you work the longest before getting fired, is the best one for you. You can't put a price on happiness.,,,
This message brought to you by the Surgeon General (from the 1950s). Reminds me of the ads they used the have promoting cigarettes as health benefits.

You will see that your tastes will change as you become an avid whiskey drinker. My suggestions for a good and reasonably priced product for starting out for you are:

1. Makers Mark
2. Chivas Regal 12yr
3. Jack Daniels Single Barrel
4. Eagle Rare
5. Knob Creek

My favorite is Balvenie double wood and carribean cask.

drunk.jpeg

I'm looking for a whiskey for casual drinking without mixing it with anything. I'd like to stay under $25/bottle.

As a beginner, I've tried "regular" Jack Daniels and the "rye" Jack Daniels (https://www.thewhiskeyshelf.com/jack-daniels-tennessee-rye-review/). I liked the rye version better than the regular Jack Daniels, but they're still awfully "raspy" is you ask me.

I've tried regular Canadian Club and that was certainly better than either of the Jack Daniels, but I'm still looking.

I've read a lot of online reviews, but I thought I'd rather ask you all...I value your opinion more.

:)

Ed
I did not know JD made a "rye" whiskey, thanks for that. When things get back to normal and I am in America again I will look for that one. If you liked rye whiskey, I do it is my favorite, and I see you already tried a decent Canadian rye whiskey (CC) you might like Crown Royal (CR). That is my personal favorite. We have some boutique small producer rye whiskeys as well up here that are really good but start with CR and see what you think. It is available anywhere in America.

Crown Royal Canadian Whisky | Crown Royal Canada

Don't mean to be a pest but DON"T DRINK ANY ALCOHOL.
However, it is a free country, people is free to do whatever they want to their body.

Learn the different Whiskey categories Bourbon, Scotch, Canadian, Irish and American Blend..I avoid American Blend 25% actual Whiskey 75% neutral spirit (yuk), Bourbon's my favorite...other nite at dinner had a bottle of Pabst and several 1.5 shooters (I sipped) of Makers Mark, delicious.

Back