Real world opinions? 2014 bmw x3?

Ok so this is getting a bit more real with the wife and I, this is in the lead running for a potential DD. I’d much prefer a sedan in many ways - a 328 manual or even 528 sedan … but I commute in to town with all of the bro-trucks and service vans with unfortunately the regular tailgating and “pushing” that happens to smaller cars, so I think an suv would be a little better for blood pressure and enjoying the drive. I really don’t like FWD, which limits the field. I would make an exception for an XC60, but the reliability of these seems to be awful and they still command premium prices.

Anyone have thoughts or experience on what ownership of these looks like? We’d probably look around 2014 or so. 4 cylinder gasser.

(And yes, I’ve perused bimmer forums, and those are spoken from the mouths of bimmer enthusiasts - I’m curious of the bitog community opinion)

Note - very limited tire options, even if one moves no regular, non run-flat technology.

Thoughts? Experience?

-m

We've had a '14 since new. It is the In Laws (when they are up North) and Daughter's car in the off season. It has been fine save for a few service bulletins and some expensive rodent damage which obviously isn't the vehicles fault. Considering its used by my Mother in Law and newly licensed Daughter, neither of whom I would refer to as being especially mechanically astute, it has served us remarkably well.

Agree on the tires. We just had the Conti RFT's mounted which I prefer to the Pirellis.

Ok so this is getting a bit more real with the wife and I, this is in the lead running for a potential DD. I’d much prefer a sedan in many ways - a 328 manual or even 528 sedan … but I commute in to town with all of the bro-trucks and service vans with unfortunately the regular tailgating and “pushing” that happens to smaller cars, so I think an suv would be a little better for blood pressure and enjoying the drive. I really don’t like FWD, which limits the field. I would make an exception for an XC60, but the reliability of these seems to be awful and they still command premium prices.

Anyone have thoughts or experience on what ownership of these looks like? We’d probably look around 2014 or so. 4 cylinder gasser.

(And yes, I’ve perused bimmer forums, and those are spoken from the mouths of bimmer enthusiasts - I’m curious of the bitog community opinion)

Note - very limited tire options, even if one moves no regular, non run-flat technology.

Thoughts? Experience?

-m
I was under the impression that those are still inline 6cyl and rwd. I know they offered the X3 with a manual transmission, and a swap can be done.

I don’t want any car that I will be driving long term with the N20 engine.

B48/B58 would be ok, but they are newer.

Older with the N52 would be fine as well, if not preferred.

I commute regularly in 328i and live in brodozer land. Weak argument for an suv.

We had a ~2009 X3 with the 3 liter I6 and full sport package. LOVED it. It was my favorite "family car" from a driving perspective. Like the suspension and handling very much for what it was. If it would have had a 6 speed manual, it would have been nearly perfect family hauler that you can have a little fun in. It did have a few oddball problems. I would not suggest owning one if you can't wrench a little.

Had a truck kick up a chunk of tire and take out an adaptive headlight. I think it was around $1200 to replace (insurance)
Had to replace the starter which required removing the intake manifold
Had to replace the plastic gear that actuated the AWD system TWICE
Had to replace the pressurized expansion tank

Besides that stuff, my wife and I really loved that car. It was getting long in the tooth, and there was a sweet Merc that was calling our names at a local dealer...what a mistake that was :-( but another story for another time.

The X3 drives really well for an SUV. I would avoid the early turbo 4 cylinders until about 2015 or so when they fixed a timing chain issue they had. The N/A straight six ones (before 2012 I believe) drive really well and are pretty reliable. The newer turbo inline-six and turbo four models are pretty reliable as well and quite powerful (B48/58 engines).

I think you'll find the 4-cylinder (Engine Code: N20) of that vintage wanting. If the timing chain service had not been done I would avoid it entirely.

Another thing is that I would budget an ATF fluid and front X-fr case fluid change.

The AWD system makes any work underneath the car more expensive. It's worse on the AWD I6 though.

No Real Time Traffic (RTT) on the NAV system because BMW was using 3G and no longer supports it. You can still get map updates via BMW forums.

Last edited:
I am going to go with @jeepman3071 and @drtyler opinions. I would avoid any BMW with the N20 engine. Those things are notorious for blowing timing chain guides and I think they came with plastic oil pans if I am not mistaken. N52 is your best bet in an X3. If you're able to push the budget and get into a 2017+ X3 with the B48/B58, that would be nice. If not, N52 it is.

I don’t want any car that I will be driving long term with the N20 engine.

B48/B58 would be ok, but they are newer.

Older with the N52 would be fine as well, if not preferred.

I commute regularly in 328i and live in brodozer land. Weak argument for an suv.
My 328i makes it easy for me to zig and zag between all the brodozers. Only partially kidding.

Given the poor reliability of the N20, I'd take a second look at the XC60.
Reliability is a wash between the two models of that vintage.

My wife drives a 2015 E84 X1 M Sport. Being a 2015 the N20 has the upgraded timing chain assembly. In close to 70k miles the only engine issue has been a cracked valve cover. Looking at the F25 X3, I drove quite a few when I worked at BMW. I’d definitely want the M Sport package (with the M Sport suspension), the Cold Weather Package, Xenons and HK audio. The navigation system works off a 3g link so unless you spend a lot of money upgrading it traffic information (RTTI) is not available.
I’d prefer the N55 over the N20 purely from a performance standpoint. As always, YMMV.

My wife's Rav4 gets pushed around, so I don't think the X3 is going to help you there. I like the X3 though so maybe I should buy one.

You might try hanging a don't tread on me banner in the back window and an NRA sticker on the trunk lid - that might help.

Brodozer lol

AI art for Chevy trucks. You need one of these to flaunt your masculinity.

IMG_2173.jpeg

"N" engines were designed with Renault (I think). Basically, Renault wanted to steal BMW engine technology.

Given the poor reliability of the N20, I'd take a second look at the XC60.
Reliability is a wash between the two models of that vintage.
Reliability issue with the N20 is the timing chain with guides that need to be replaced. In 2016 it was corrected and you dont hear these issues after that. I currently have a 2017 X5 40e with the N20 motor that has 126k miles on it and has not skipped a beat in the last 100k miles I have owned it. I would have the chain and guides checked to make sure they were done. If they have I would not worry about it. If not you will need to get them done.

This thread has been super helpful, thank you for the BITOG thoughts on it. Tbh it’s tempered me a little towards getting a newer one which isn’t great budget-wise, or simply passing on it until it is, or until something better comes along. Y’all kinda helped pull me off the ledge. Thank you.

I think my neighbor has one. Just spent like $5K on new stuff under the hood after a tiny oil leak hurt the sensitive German beast.

Back