Suggestions for 1988 Chevy Truck with Low Usage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1988 Chevrolet K1500 with the 4.3L engine and 108,000 miles. I purchased it about 3 years ago strictly for hauling stuff occasionally and for getting around in the snow. It runs and drives great, much better than trucks that we test drove that were several years newer. It does not seem to leak oil, but it does throw out a huge puff of blue smoke when started.

It is only driven 1500-2000 miles per year. The last time I changed it, I threw in some QS High Mileage. That did not seem to lessen the smoke though, so I am not sure if the HM really helped any. I will be changing the oil again soon along with the other fluids and replacing the thermostat. Any suggestions on what to go with? Is once per year OK?

I am trying to take care of all the little things since I plan on keeping it for several years. I just picked it up from the body shop where they replaced the rusted cab corner and top of the wheel-well on the driver's side. I am hitting the salvage yards next week for a new seat and mirrors, and will be Herculiner-ing the bed and bumpers.

To keep things a little simpler, I'd use the same 10w-30 high mile oil that you also use in the '66 Mustang. A 5w-30 might be a little thin for a 20+ year old engine.

I'd be tempted to change it more like twice a year, although once a year probably wouldn't hurt it any.

Probably some kind of dino 10w-30 would do the job and probably the smoke on startup is valve guide/ seal leaking wouldn't worry about it.

Originally Posted By: Sunstealer
Thanks. Are any of the HM oils recommended over the others?

I personally think highly of the high mileage oils. I think they really help aid some of the ailments in older engines with issues.

If you want a dino high mileage, I have used Castrol's and Mobil's.

However, Mobil's (not to be confused with the Mobil 1 variant more commonly found): It is called Mobil Clean High Mileage is VERY hard to find. I have to mail order it. It's the only oil I have found that turns my mid-90s sedan in to almost leak free.

Castrol's is also a solid product and MUCH easier to find.

Last edited:
Looks like Autozone has a special on Valvoline Maxlife right now. From searching past discussions on here, it seems to be pretty well regarded. I might give it a shot tomorrow. I am changing the tranny gear oil, transfer case fluid, and both diffs as well.

I have basically the same truck as yours with around 1/4 million miles. Mine leaks a few drops when I shut it off and burns just a tad when I'm pulling trailers, etc. My last oil change, I used 4qts. of Delo 15w40 and a qt. of Pennzoil HM 10w40. Doesn't seem to leak or burn much now and sounds smooth.

Originally Posted By: Sunstealer
Looks like Autozone has a special on Valvoline Maxlife right now. From searching past discussions on here, it seems to be pretty well regarded. I might give it a shot tomorrow. I am changing the tranny gear oil, transfer case fluid, and both diffs as well.

Maxlife is tops in my book where high mileage oils are concerned.
Very good product, I agree that a 10w30 would probably suit your truck better than 5w30. It doesn't get cold enough in VA to warrant 5w use.

Changed it today with Valvoline Maxlife 10W-30 and Fram Tough Guard filter. Also changed the tranny with Pennzoil Synchromesh, and the transfer case with Valvoline Mercon/Dexron III. Changed the thermostat (no heat last winter) and tightened up the parking brake while I was under there. I was going to change the gear oil in both diffs, but could not find a pump to pump the new fluid in. Will wait for another day to do those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back