Suggestion for safety in Spain and Greece

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
Dress non-American, if that makes sense. No "Wisconsin" matching sweatshirts. Khaki's and plain shirts.

Most of the problem I read is that almost all Asian got mistook as Japanese ($$$), and US travel advisory for Asian American only (and older tourists). Maybe I should look as Wisconsin or Canadian as possible so I won't get mistaken.

Originally Posted By: John_Corey
How does SWMBO deal with your anxiety?

Doesn't like it one bit and she is starting to get anxiety as well. Other than that she's more worried about if her back / neck pain will hinder the trip.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Backpacking makes you look like a target.

My only tip is make sure you have a credit card that does not charge exchange fees. I cannot recall which one does not charge however I used a Chase CC it does.

Good idea, no more backpack, and I do have a credit card that charges no foreign transaction fee (only exchange fee which is about 1-2% instead of 3-4%): Capital One. It is only for this trip and I have limited its credit limit so that even if it is stolen it won't get abused much.

After one good night of sleep, and reading some positive notes here, my anxiety is reduced. Thanks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pbm
Take a cruise instead...

Blegh!

A cruise is a cruise and they are great if what you want to do is go on a cruise, but you don't begin to experience a country or a culture on a cruise.

Going to Spain or Greece on a cruise is like reading the Cliff Notes version of a novel. Except not as in depth.

Now if you are talking about an Alaskan coastal cruise where the cruise scenery is an important part of the cruise and most stops are only worth a few hours, that's another thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back