Subies, the engines again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Why is it when someone posts a legitimate problem with a car they own 10 other owners post up that theirs is perfect? Happens ALL the time. How does your car not having the problem help the guy with the problem?

This thread isn't about someone looking for help with their vehicle. It's about discussing a widespread issue about a certain model(s). If we're allowed to talk about specific instances when the problem happened, how come we're NOT allowed to talk about specific instances where it did NOT happen?

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Why is it when someone posts a legitimate problem with a car they own 10 other owners post up that theirs is perfect? Happens ALL the time. How does your car not having the problem help the guy with the problem?

Hummm... because that didn't happen. The OP scatter-blasted internet garble without any real evidence. Legal suits are not evidence. Anyone can file nearly anything. Look at the comments:

Quote:

•Jill: "We have a 2013 Legacy. We have to add oil approx every 2500 miles and the engine has a very noticeable knock when you first start it." Have you changed the oil filter for a correct spec-ed filer or one with a different ADBV... notorious jobber filter symptom
•Becky: "Just paid $1700 for a repair and added 4 quarts of oil today...1000 miles before oil change is due. I am very upset!"Sounds like there is a not more abuse going on
•Terry: "I bought a 2011 Subaru Forester. I am dealing with the same oil issues that the other owners have written to you about. I was told when I bought the car that I did not need to replace oil between oil changes as it was synthetic. Obviously not true. I am not due for an oil change for 2000 more miles. However, my Subaru has gone through almost 3 quarts in 5000 miles."
•Melinda: "I just had to have the engine in my 2012 Impreza rebuilt. Pretty upset with Subaru but have been a VERY loyal customer for years."I bet that subaru covered this, it is called a warranty.

The fast-oil-change industry has long contended that the oil should be changed every 3,000 miles or so. Given the horrible experience so many consumers have had with their cars, that's probably good advice. We know the expertise of these places...just mentioning this should give an idea of how lackluster the opinion of the OP is valued

You don't want to end up like Jennifer of West Point, Calif., who said: "I changed my oil as was recommended in the manual and one day the light came on and the engine was blown and later discovered the oil was empty. It had burned up all oil in one months time." Did they drive around while losing oil? Was the engine blown from neglect prior to the warning? Did they not put the drain plug, double gasket the filter, anything? Maintenance is not just noticing the light

Bonkers claims...

The only thing new here is that Subaru continues to invest in the US due to very strong consumer demand. Why the oil burning has to be brought up I don't know considering it is a known issues and nothing new was added in this thread on this topic except to bash Subaru about it.

Subaru tops in resale value:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/suba...nds-012315.html

If oil burning was such a big issue it would show up in resale values.

OK, the OP wasn't exactly the scenario I mention but it went certainly that direction, a couple of posts with first hand experience with Subie troubles then way more touting their 20 year old/200K whatever doesn't use a drop. Proof that Subies suck, the owners are incompetent, what's the point?

A co-worker bought an early 2000s Forester with 130K +/- miles, it was in nice condition blah blah, but it used 1 quart per fill up. The bottom of the car was dry. The engine was dry. I've followed him out of the parking lot and it didn't blow a cloud from cold-start to warm, just barely enough to see. No way you'd know it when you bought it. Dealer said "as is" sorry. Who knows how it got that way.

But, my 02 Xterra doesn't use a drop.
crazy.gif

I personally have had decent luck with our 190k 2005 Legacy turbo wagon in terms of oil consumption. It uses about 1qt/3000 miles now. At 100k it was about 0.5qt/4k but I never topped since I changed every 4k.

My family has 5 2012+ subaru Outbacks/Foresters including a 2014 and 2015. Not a single car burns a lick of oil. I suspect the problem exists however it internet FUD like OP/article is doing.

Another fun fact. They owned 9 of the infamous EJ25(Outback/Forester) into 200k+ range. 1 of 9 had a head gasket failure at 225k/2000 Forester. The cost to fix at my Subie guy was $1100 and they kept another 50k and sold for $3k recently.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
The only thing new here is that Subaru continues to invest in the US due to very strong consumer demand. Why the oil burning has to be brought up I don't know considering it is a known issues and nothing new was added in this thread on this topic except to bash Subaru about it.

Subaru tops in resale value:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news/suba...nds-012315.html

If oil burning was such a big issue it would show up in resale values.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

AND THIS-
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/...-300152743.html

Last edited:
I think the issue is with the newer Subaru. It doesn't matter if your old 300km Subi with the EJ engine burns oil or not.

The new Subi engine the FB has had an oil burning issue in both the 2.0 and 2.5 liter sizes. It was originally blamed on 0-20 oil and low tension piston rings. Subi started replace the rings on the oil burners but that didn't seem to correct the problem.
Recently they have been doing a short block replacement.

Between 2012 and 2014 they revised the piston ring specs 3 times so this must kind of prove that some thing was not right and the problem was more than people not checking their oil level between changes.
Cars with the FBs built in 2014 seem to be ok with very few oil burners reported.

Still when I read here that the low oil light comes on when the oil level drops 1qt from full and an owner has seen this a few times it must mean that the engine is using 1qt of oil in it's recommended oil change mileage of 6000 miles and that is not acceptable for a new car.

when you burn a quart every thousand after a year of ownership of course you would expect disaster after five years and miniumized trade value.

But then if you did your DD you would have avoided this mess.

I really didn't mind the oil burning. I checked it and added oil... Often. It was the other more expensive stuff like a manual transmission that lasted 100k of hwy miles. Another known problem.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
odd styles, poor history, pure junk.

Yep-that's why they are having record sales.....

Originally Posted By: CKN

Women terrified to drive in the winter and think they have to have AWD to get around.

when you burn a quart every thousand after a year of ownership of course you would expect disaster after five years and miniumized trade value.

But then if you did your DD you would have avoided this mess.

another example of poor choice.

Are you just trying to get your post count up?

Originally Posted By: dishdude

Women terrified to drive in the winter and think they have to have AWD to get around.

AWD-4WD is best for getting around in the winter.....

FWD FTW

FWD FTW

Way to keep the post count up DishDude.

In all seriousness, if I encounter a Subaru driver - especially in inclement weather I avoid them as much as I can. They'll typically be white knuckled, terrified and most likely about to make an abrupt inappropriate and dangerous maneuver.

I've lived in the rust belt, and never been in a situation where FWD and good AS tires couldn't get me around with ease. I even managed in an S-10 with 2WD, snow tires and some weight in the bed. I then got smart and moved to where I don't have to worry about such things and have an all RWD fleet.

In all seriousness, if I encounter a Subaru driver - especially in inclement weather I avoid them as much as I can. They'll typically be white knuckled, terrified and most likely about to make an abrupt inappropriate and dangerous maneuver.

I've lived in the rust belt, and never been in a situation where FWD and good AS tires couldn't get me around with ease. I even managed in an S-10 with 2WD, snow tires and some weight in the bed. I then got smart and moved to where I don't have to worry about such things and have an all RWD fleet.

I avoid a 10 year old Crown Vic the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back