Subaru Tokyo Roki ADBV Failure

I've mentioned this in another post but just wanted to get some more feedback from others. I changed my oil early at the 1000 mi mark on my 2022 Crosstrek to flush out the west metals and because I'm OCD. While the hot oil was draining, I removed the gorilla tight Tokyo Roki oil that was installed at the factory and I noticed that the filter did not retain any oil. Isn't the purpose of an ADBV to keep oil in a filter that is orientated in a threads down position? Has anyone else experienced this or is this an anomaly? I'm thinking my ADBV failed.... 😳 That is the only logical explanation as to why there was no oil in the filter minutes after shutting down the engine. This is very disappointing. Filter was removed within minutes of shutting down the engine.

I'm not a Tokyo Roki fan but I've done countless oil and filter changes on Subarus to include engines where the oil filter is mounted on top facing down. I have noticed that sometimes the ADBV may not reset itself soon enough between the time you turn the engine off and then go to take the filter off, thus causing oil that would normally be trapped behind the ADBV to leak out. I've experienced this with filters that have both a nitrile and silicone ADBV. It may have to do with current temperature of the oil and how that impacts the temperature of the ADBV material and its ability to move to seal the oil in behind it.

I've mentioned this in another post but just wanted to get some more feedback from others. I changed my oil early at the 1000 mi mark on my 2022 Crosstrek to flush out the west metals and because I'm OCD. While the hot oil was draining, I removed the gorilla tight Tokyo Roki oil that was installed at the factory and I noticed that the filter did not retain any oil. Isn't the purpose of an ADBV to keep oil in a filter that is orientated in a threads down position? Has anyone else experienced this or is this an anomaly? I'm thinking my ADBV failed.... 😳 That is the only logical explanation as to why there was no oil in the filter minutes after shutting down the engine. This is very disappointing. Filter was removed within minutes of shutting down the engine.
You're on a rampage with this ADBV stuff, lol. I'd say some Subarus need a filter with an anti-siphon valve in the center tube ,so oil draining out of the filter may happen no matter what oil filter is used. That's why Baxter came up with this filter adapter ... this is your thread.

You're on a rampage with this ADBV stuff, lol. I'd say some Subarus need a filter with an anti-siphon valve in the center tube ,so oil draining out of the filter may happen no matter what oil filter is used. That's why Baxter came up with this filter adapter ... this is your thread.

You can call it a "rampage" I guess but I'm trying to figure out if this is a fluke thing or not. I did a search on here and did not find anyone else mentioning this issue. Do people not pay attention to this stuff or am I just OCD?😂 Probably both. It's a pretty big deal I think, and one that should not be take lightly. Why have an ADBV in a filter if it doesn't retain the oil? Like I said, I'm trying to hear back from as many Subaru owners as possible regarding this. Thus the reason for starting a separate thread. I also posted this on the Subaru XV forums as well. Sorry if this "rampage" annoys you. 😎

You can call it a "rampage" I guess but I'm trying to figure out if this is a fluke thing or not. I did a search on here and did not find anyone else mentioning this issue. Do people not pay attention to this stuff or am I just OCD?😂 Probably both. It's a pretty big deal I think, and one that should not be take lightly. Why have an ADBV in a filter if it doesn't retain the oil? Like I said, I'm trying to hear back from as many Subaru owners as possible regarding this. Thus the reason for starting a separate thread. I also posted this on the Subaru XV forums as well. Sorry if this "rampage" annoys you. 😎
I mean you've hit 3+ threads with this today, and even started a few threads ... that's the "rampage" I'm talking about, just thought it was funny - lol. Starting one thread about it should be enough focus to address the subject.

Anyway, like I've said a few times already ... why would Baxter make that filter adapter with the anti-siphon valve to specifically address oil draining out of Subaru oil filters if it wasn't something that Subarus do? It sounds like it happens on some Subarus regardless of what oil filter is used, or how good the ADBV is on the filter.

The anti drain back keeps the filter from backwashing back into the pan.
It's main purpose is to keep the oiling system after the pump full of oil so there is no air in the system on the next start-up.

Yessir you made that very clear. Thanks! Mods please delete as you see fit or not.👍
LoL ... it's OK, it's just that if there are like 3 threads going on about the same thing then it's probably not going to get as much focus and response compared to one focused thread. At least that's how it seems to work around here.

Subaru could have done a better job on the oil filter design. Some VW and Audi's use a top mounted oil filter with typical German engineering
and they created this, used on my wife's Audi A4 quattro.

IMG_2267.JPG

IMG_2268.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2267.JPG
    IMG_2267.JPG
    176.1 KB · Views: 3
Subaru could have done a better job on the oil filter design. Some VW and Audi's use a top mounted oil filter with typical German engineering
and they created this, used on my wife's Audi A4 quattro.

View attachment 97568

View attachment 97565
I was surprised to see such an overbuilt filter list between $9.99-13. Which makes it even more confusing why M1 filters are so absurdly priced (and most oil filters, increasingly).

Back