Subaru STI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buddy has a 2008 Subaru STI and is making 70hp over stock with his mods. He bought Amsoil 10w30 (ATM) and is wondering if he should put 5w30 in (as Subaru calls for 5w30).

Last edited:
Either oil is fine. 5w-30 would be better in winter but if he already bought 10w-30, he should use it.

That power comes from 8-10 add psi of boost. Should this be considered when deciding oil weight? Might the 10w30 be better, at least for summer?

Last edited:
I doubt you'd see any difference between the two. The only advantage I would see to the 10w would be better shear resistance, and I assume if you own a modified sti you're probably on pretty short OCI's anyway.

In winter I would definitely change to the 5w, even in Maryland.

iirc, Subaru tells the rest of the world to use 40-50wt oil.
I'd use 5W-40 for summer. Or something like GC 0W-30 with a ACEA A3/B3 rating.

Originally Posted By: pistolpete
Buddy has a 2008 Subaru STI and is making 70hp over stock with his mods. He bought Amsoil 10w30 (ATM) and is wondering if he should put 5w30 in (as Subaru calls for 5w30).

IMO, the ATM would be a bit better for a modded STI. Subaru calls for a 5W-30 for fuel economy and many other grades are allowed depending on your driving conditions (10W-30, 10W40, SAE 30, 40, 20W-50).

5W-40 diesel oils are really popular in subie turbo's and there are several uoa's in the uoa forum on Rotella T. I'm using Amsoil SSO on my stock 2.5T Forester and RonJitsu here is running it in his modified 2.5T WRX.

UOA on SSO in a modified WRX
UOA on Rotella in a modified STI

I would probably go with a 5W-40 with 70 hp over stock. Amsoil has DEO. Do you know what kind of mods (Cobb Tuning AccessPort Stage X, protuned, etc.)?
Although he should do a uoa at around 5k miles to see how the ATM is holding up.

19.gif

-Dennis

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bluesubie
Originally Posted By: pistolpete

IMO, the ATM would be a bit better for a modded STI. Subaru calls for a 5W-30 for fuel economy and many other grades are allowed depending on your driving conditions (10W-30, 10W40, SAE 30, 40, 20W-50).

5W-40 diesel oils are really popular in subie turbo's and there are several uoa's in the uoa forum on Rotella T. I'm using Amsoil SSO on my stock 2.5T Forester and RonJitsu here is running it in his modified 2.5T WRX.

UOA on SSO in a modified WRX
UOA on Rotella in a modified STI

I would probably go with a 5W-40 with 70 hp over stock. Amsoil has DEO. Do you know what kind of mods (Cobb Tuning AccessPort Stage X, protuned, etc.)?
Although he should do a uoa at around 5k miles to see how the ATM is holding up.

19.gif

-Dennis

Stage 2 Cobb with down pipe.

Similar to the STI in the link I posted above. I don't recall any subie turbo uoa's on the ATM so I'd be curious to see how it holds up.

-Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back