Subaru Outback Wilderness

I've had front and rear lsds, and found no advantage to them vs mybcurrent awd system unless doing stuff like rock climbing but on loose surfaces subarus system should do great.

LSDs are great for the 99% of things that's usually illegal to do on public roads. I think the usual "I have AWD, I can go anywhere" buyers will be unaware of the absence of LSDs though.

LSDs are great for the 99% of things that's usually illegal to do on public roads. I think the usual "I have AWD, I can go anywhere" buyers will be unaware of the absence of LSDs though.
I have not found my vehicle lacking due to no LSDs, but snow/ice/loose gravel on steep terrain is as demanding as I've been of it.

For women and twitts, laughable.
Suburban wannabes?

Must admit, I did drive a beater 4WD DL wagon around Alaska in the early 90's. It was my backup vehicle, next to my F-250 4WD 6.9L diesel truck. I remember it having a real 4WD system, and it never was stuck in snowy Alaska -- ever. It was a decent snow-go... but so was my early 90's Bravada. Not one of these had problems driving out onto the the military bases' lakes to go ice fishing in the Anchorage area. Nor did they have issues climbing Arctic Valley road to the similarly named ski area up there. :)

Last edited:
I had the 1990 version, the “loyale,” with push button 4wd. In my limited experience, the smaller, lighter 4x4 vehicles had very distinct advantages in snow which failed larger vehicles, as long as the belly wasn’t dragging. the subarus are small enough that you can choose from more lines, entry/exit points, work a lane position, or casually drift them as a matter of course without getting your blood pressure, or anyone else’s, in a tizzy. They were also easier, at least for me, when negotiating a steep snowy descent. Cant do that as well with a full-size truck or top-heavy suv. For deeper snow, I might cast the nod to a classic cherokee with decent tires.

Sarcasm. Following Subaru tradition, they should at least introduce two different CVT fluids for this specific model, just because.
I like that they get pretty serious about the fluid formulation for each trans they make. Since they've gone all-in on the CVT's atleast they are doing the easy stuff to keep them reliable.

I like that they get pretty serious about the fluid formulation for each trans they make. Since they've gone all-in on the CVT's atleast they are doing the easy stuff to keep them reliable.
Yes, especially when uber, super-trained mechanics in dealerships mix up fluids, which happens all the time. When a manufacturer is chasing fluids like that, it indicates a larger mechanical problem.

Yes, especially when uber, super-trained mechanics in dealerships mix up fluids, which happens all the time. When a manufacturer is chasing fluids like that, it indicates a larger mechanical problem.
Time will tell I guess! Its a younger technology than other transmissions and it relies entirely on how well they can tune the slip or grip on the chain and pulleys. When they improve or change something in a CVT that effects the pulley/chain interface why not reformulate the fluid to be optimal?
Do you just put whatever fluid is on sale into your conventional automatic? No? Is it junk then? Even just the synchros in a manual trans rely on fairly specific fluid characteristics to work well...

Time will tell I guess! Its a younger technology than other transmissions and it relies entirely on how well they can tune the slip or grip on the chain and pulleys. When they improve or change something in a CVT that effects the pulley/chain interface why not reformulate the fluid to be optimal?
Do you just put whatever fluid is on sale into your conventional automatic? No? Is it junk then? Even just the synchros in a manual trans rely on fairly specific fluid characteristics to work well...
I am not sure about "younger" technology. Audi had CVT in 90's. When the manufacturer is constantly updating mechanical aspects of the product, it indicates an issue (and CVT's do have issues). CVT is there to bump mpg, nothing else, and has a lot of drawbacks, especially in higher torque engines. From every aspect of maintenance, logistics etc. manufacturer always tries to keep things simple. When the manufacturer has 5 different fluids for one type of transmission in such a short period of time, it indicates issues. You don't see ZF having 5 different fluids for their ZF8, or Aisin 5 different fluids for their transmissions.
No, I do not put anything in my transmission. I buy what is advised for that transmission. But in my case, that is not big deal, as CVT would never enter my garage. So, not really hard to get what is necessary or made a mistake.

Reactions: Al
I am not sure about "younger" technology. Audi had CVT in 90's. When the manufacturer is constantly updating mechanical aspects of the product, it indicates an issue (and CVT's do have issues). CVT is there to bump mpg, nothing else, and has a lot of drawbacks, especially in higher torque engines. From every aspect of maintenance, logistics etc. manufacturer always tries to keep things simple. When the manufacturer has 5 different fluids for one type of transmission in such a short period of time, it indicates issues. You don't see ZF having 5 different fluids for their ZF8, or Aisin 5 different fluids for their transmissions.
No, I do not put anything in my transmission. I buy what is advised for that transmission. But in my case, that is not big deal, as CVT would never enter my garage. So, not really hard to get what is necessary or made a mistake.
When was the first conventional automatic released? GM's hydramatic in 1939. How many different fluid specs have there been since then? So CVT's probably do have a ways to go before they are perfected. Subaru's seem to be getting more reliable with each change they make, and I'm happy with how ours works. I'm thinking with one fluid change it should go the distance just like the other transmissions we've had, but we'll see.

When was the first conventional automatic released? GM's hydramatic in 1939. How many different fluid specs have there been since then? So CVT's probably do have a ways to go before they are perfected. Subaru's seem to be getting more reliable with each change they make, and I'm happy with how ours works. I'm thinking with one fluid change it should go the distance just like the other transmissions we've had, but we'll see.
That is where the problem comes with it. And no, GM did not change 5 fluids in 10 years and kept all of them current.

That is where the problem comes with it. And no, GM did not change 5 fluids in 10 years and kept all of them current.
If making sure they, or I, put in the right fluid is the biggest problem I have with this CVT I'll be quite happy. As for changing fluid specs, I guess GM didn't push development along that fast, but how many years was it before most automatics would go 200k+miles without a rebuild? Maybe into the 1980's? Chrysler couldn't get some to last 30k miles in the 80's and 90's...
I suspect that the current high torque CVT in the turbo Ascent will prove reliable and that will slow down CVT development for Subaru as that drivetrain combo is about all they need until the hybrids/electrics take over.

If making sure they, or I, put in the right fluid is the biggest problem I have with this CVT I'll be quite happy. As for changing fluid specs, I guess GM didn't push development along that fast, but how many years was it before most automatics would go 200k+miles without a rebuild? Maybe into the 1980's? Chrysler couldn't get some to last 30k miles in the 80's and 90's...
I suspect that the current high torque CVT in the turbo Ascent will prove reliable and that will slow down CVT development for Subaru as that drivetrain combo is about all they need until the hybrids/electrics take over.
LOL, I highly doubt it is the development that required Subaru to have 5 different CVT's, but the general quality of CVT. The company does not make such a mess unless there is an actual issue. Development of transmissions goes through generations, not fluid updates in a single generation of vehicles. This is not development. This is the cheapest possible patch.

Two fluids, each a different color and designator. Real tough to figure out...

4-cyl non-turbo: fluid 1

All others: fluid 2

Back