Subaru OEM blue oil filter cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KHP
I had to remove the aerodynamic shield/skid plate to get to the filter. Then reinstall the whole thing again.

I have 60k miles on my 08 STi and have done 15-18 oil changes myself. That stupid skid plate cover thing is the bane of my existence. Those plastic clips up in the wheel well last about 2 times before they wont go back in the holes. At $5 a pop, it would be worth it to do a filter relocation. I have debated on that for 3-5 years now along with a Fumoto drain valve. The rear clips broke after 2 oil changes so I replaced them with 2 heavy duty clamps for $1.50 each from Lowe's. They have lasted through a couple oil changes and help keep the plastic from banging against the frame and making the Subaru sound like a bag of loose parts all the time.

I have used the Subaru filter for half of the changes, and PureOne (or whatever came in the bundle sale with 5 quarts of Mobil 1) for the others. BTW I have burned about 2 quarts total over 60k miles if you ever wonder about Subaru consumption. My calculations may be high due to the oil mess when removing the filter.

Originally Posted By: DrMcSarcasm
I have 60k miles on my 08 STi and have done 15-18 oil changes myself. That stupid skid plate cover thing is the bane of my existence. Those plastic clips up in the wheel well last about 2 times before they wont go back in the holes. At $5 a pop, it would be worth it to do a filter relocation. I have debated on that for 3-5 years now along with a Fumoto drain valve. The rear clips broke after 2 oil changes so I replaced them with 2 heavy duty clamps for $1.50 each from Lowe's. They have lasted through a couple oil changes and help keep the plastic from banging against the frame and making the Subaru sound like a bag of loose parts all the time.

I have used the Subaru filter for half of the changes, and PureOne (or whatever came in the bundle sale with 5 quarts of Mobil 1) for the others. BTW I have burned about 2 quarts total over 60k miles if you ever wonder about Subaru consumption. My calculations may be high due to the oil mess when removing the filter.

Yeah that skid-plate is a pain. Though I'm not really bothered by it as I only have to take it off once every 6-8 months. I have yet to break any of the clips holding the skid-plate up *crosses fingers*.

My oil burn is also in line with yours. That is after I switched to PU. When I ran M1 on my car it burned 1Qt at 7,500 mile interval. PU only burned about .25Qt. My car seems to do well with PureONE oil filter and it definitely feels well made.

Other than this recent Subaru filter recall. The OE blue filters have served me well. Since it's OE part any failure SOA will be held responsible for property damage. As odd as it sounds I still feel comfortable using the OE filter after my recent incident with installing one of their recalled filter.

I probably will end up switching between OE and Purolator PureONE for my next few oil changes. I have three more PureONE's in my stash from a BOGO deal at Pepboys.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back