Subaru now recommends Synthetic, some 0W-20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
i've been using 50:50 synthetic 5w30 : conventional 5w20 in my Subaru for a couple of years already. after reading Dr. Haus's article on oil here, it makes sense: the problem with oil, is that it is too thick.

Originally Posted By: AWDfreak
Well I just did some internet searching, and it seems very likely it may be an Idemitsu product (since Idemitsu has been giving Subaru Japan the same grade oils as Genuine Subaru fluid)

http://www.idemitsu.co.jp/zepro/oilsearch/subaru/index.html

the subaru oil in the US is definitely made by idemitsu, i read the back of the bottle :D.. anyone know if this is a gf-4 or a gf-5?

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
When I was researching the Service Pro 0w-20 that we sell I came across a list of currently licensed blenders of 0W-20 oils, and for Subaru the blender was listed as Fuji Heavy Industries.

http://eolcs.api.org/FindBrandByViscosity.asp?Viscosity=0W-20

Looks like Subaru might be making it themselves?

Does API Licensee always = blender?

-Dennis

As far as I know, that is the requirement, or else the product is considered unlicensed.

Inspected a quart bottle of Subaru Synthetic oil at the dealer's parts counter yesterday. Surprise!! This oil was not rated. No API SM (or new SN) and no ILSAC A1 or A3.

NOTHING!!

Parts man said no one had noticed this and he would contact Subaru of America for info.

Also noticed the bottle stated "Made in the USA" by Indemitsu. So I guess they have contracted out to an American refiner.

Originally Posted By: number_41
Inspected a quart bottle of Subaru Synthetic oil at the dealer's parts counter yesterday. Surprise!! This oil was not rated. No API SM (or new SN) and no ILSAC A1 or A3.

NOTHING!!

Parts man said no one had noticed this and he would contact Subaru of America for info.

Also noticed the bottle stated "Made in the USA" by Indemitsu. So I guess they have contracted out to an American refiner.

I think I've seen this exact post on subaruforester.org...

As for the bottle, same here, no certification listed. I've contacted Subaru of America regarding this new synthetic motor oil and am awaiting a response...

Originally Posted By: number_41

NOTHING!!

No, Idemitsu has had a production facility in the Louisville, Kentucky metro area for nearly 20 years.

I really think you guys are looking for something to fear when it comes to 0w20.

NEWSFLASH!!!

AFE sounds no different in my Forester than T6 did atm.

Hasn't used any oil, feels the same at redline...yes I do drive the car like that.

There has only been 1 oil I wouldn't put back in this car and it was Amsoil 5w30...unsure of which. It did sound harsh and unrefined with that.

The use of a 20 weight for the new chain driven engine I bet has a lot to do with flow to the timing chain itself. It is an odd shaped motor even more so with the heads, maybe at operating temp the 30 was shown to resist flowing as freely as they intended.

Or a big surprise they tighten up tolerances so a lighter oil can give a slight boost in efficiency, nothing like progress.

Last edited:
I just got word from Subaru of America's online customer service (via email).

"All Subaru Synthetic Motor Oil is licensed by the American Petroleum Institute(API) as Energy Conserving SM for Gasoline Engines and GF-4 ILSAC rated. Yes, Idemitsu is the supplier of the Subaru Synthetic Motor Oil."

AWDfreak - Are you sure you didn't see that info on nasioc? I actually posted it this morning recalling number_41's post above.
smile.gif
It's good that SoA responded. You should ask for the PDS and MSDS. I wonder when it will be reformulated for SN/GF5?

I had no idea that Idemitsu had a U.S. facility! I suppose it's for the Mazda oil.??

Thermo - Plenty of people of used xW-20 in n/a and turbo Subarus for years. Your M1 0W-30 is a good example.
smile.gif
The only oil that made a difference to me in engine sound is Red Line. I've never actually noticed a difference in sound from thin 30 grades to 40 grades.

Still waiting for a VOA/UOA. Too many people running GC and RT6 to give this stuff a chance, I suppose.

18e57e16-852a-5f94.jpg

-Dennis

Ya I'm sure it was a lesser grade Amsoil that did it, harsh harsh harsh...liked it sheared to nothing in 500 miles.

Maybe I'll treat BITOG...and find some locally and give it a look see.
smile.gif

AWDfreak - Are you sure you didn't see that info on nasioc? I actually posted it this morning recalling number_41's post above.
smile.gif
It's good that SoA responded. You should ask for the PDS and MSDS. I wonder when it will be reformulated for SN/GF5?

I had no idea that Idemitsu had a U.S. facility! I suppose it's for the Mazda oil.??

Thermo - Plenty of people of used xW-20 in n/a and turbo Subarus for years. Your M1 0W-30 is a good example.
smile.gif
The only oil that made a difference to me in engine sound is Red Line. I've never actually noticed a difference in sound from thin 30 grades to 40 grades.

Still waiting for a VOA/UOA. Too many people running GC and RT6 to give this stuff a chance, I suppose.

18e57e16-852a-5f94.jpg

-Dennis

If you want to ask Subaru of America any questions, this is their online contact form:

https://www.subaru.com/shopping-tools/contact-us.html

Hope you ask them many questions regarding their Synthetic Motor Oil, I'm curious as to how good this oil is.

-Dennis

The rotary specific pre-mix and motor oils are the only products that they actively promote under the Idemitsu label, in the US market. The primary purpose of the US production facility is to supply the OE-fill and private-label products to their Japanese automaker clients' US assembly plants and dealer networks. Chances are good that your car rolled out of Lafayette with Idemitsu products in it.

Originally Posted By: rshunter

-Dennis

The rotary specific pre-mix and motor oils are the only products that they actively promote under the Idemitsu label, in the US market. The primary purpose of the US production facility is to supply the OE-fill and private-label products to their Japanese automaker clients' US assembly plants and dealer networks. Chances are good that your car rolled out of Lafayette with Idemitsu products in it.

Oh, ok. My car, as well as all Imprezas, are actually built in Gunma, Japan. Legacy's and Tribeca's are built in Lafayette.
banana2.gif

-Dennis

Oh, ok. My car, as well as all Imprezas, are actually built in Gunma, Japan. Legacy's and Tribeca's are built in Lafayette.
banana2.gif

-Dennis

Heh, I didn't even pay attention to what model you had, though it would have certainly helped. But hey, you forgot the Outback...
06.gif

lol.gif

Originally Posted By: wlyszkow
Nice can available in Russia:
http://www.japanoil-ural.ru/index.php?mod=3&idtov=339
Only for SOHC engines. Very high VI if values of KV are correct (10,27cSt at 100C is too much for 20 weight).

Thanks wlyszkow. While some people in North America are shocked that Subaru of America now specs a 20 grade, Subaru in European countries have been speccing it in some engines for several years now.

19.gif

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: Captain_Klink
i've been using 50:50 synthetic 5w30 : conventional 5w20 in my Subaru for a couple of years already. after reading Dr. Haus's article on oil here, it makes sense: the problem with oil, is that it is too thick.
Dr. Ali E. Haas is a cosmetic plastic surgeon, not a mechanical engineer nor a tribologist. He probably knows more about skin oil than engine oil. The necessary viscosity of oil is more related to the bearing clearances than the flow rate. In the writings of his that I've read, I've seen nothing about the hydrodynamic wedge of oil in a journal bearing. This is what keeps the parts separate, not the oil flow. Flow is necessary to make up for leakage, carry away heat and debris, but not to keep the parts from touching.

30 weights are the new universal viscosity!!

If I had a new Subaru FB25, it would be fed the same oil I'm giving my current EJ25, within a reasonable OCI of course. I see no reason for a 20 weight being the only viscosity acceptable for this new engine when the difference in viscosity between a 20 and 30 weight is marginal at most points in time during the OCI IMO.

IMO the 0w20 viscosity recommendation is more about recommending an excellent cold weather pumping synthetic oil, which also makes sense for extended OCIs.

I wonder what Subaru Canada mandated OCIs will be for the FB25.. anyone know? Or am I forgetting that we covered that already in this thread?...
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: wlyszkow
Nice can available in Russia:
http://www.japanoil-ural.ru/index.php?mod=3&idtov=339
Only for SOHC engines. Very high VI if values of KV are correct (10,27cSt at 100C is too much for 20 weight).

Thanks wlyszkow. While some people in North America are shocked that Subaru of America now specs a 20 grade, Subaru in European countries have been speccing it in some engines for several years now.

19.gif

-Dennis

0W-20 is not popular in Europe - in fact almost unavailable and expensive - in EU people like ACEA A3/B4 specs best with HTHS > 3,5cP even where not necessary/recommended.
The problem is that in Poland we currently have another freeze winter ~0F (for 3-4 months) and even 5W-30 is too heavy for quite a long time in the morning - next winter I'm going to use 0W-20 in my Tribeca - e.g AMSOIL ASM if I get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back