Subaru Forester #1 SUV for 10 Years in a Row, Consumer Reports

Al

Posted just for Subaru Haters.

Amazing that a small auto company can win out 10 years in a row in this most competitive field. There are 10 categories and out of those ten, five are electric/hybrid which makes this accomplishment even more noteworthy. Of course those of us who own one (I am on my 3rd) understand it all!;)

Yeah there awd systems are very good paired with a conventional auto or manual. The cvt can just not give power as seen on tfl cars. When i drove subarus at work i liked how old they felt. The a pillar was pretty thin and the interior was very reminiscent of a 90s automobile with visibility and space. Overall the ones i drove were smooth quiet and very utilitarian.

I had a 15 Forester. The engine blew up. I’m now 60, owned many cars, and this was the only catastrophic failure I’ve experienced. I’m certain it occurred because it was vastly overfilled at the dealer prior to an oil burn test. In that sense it wasn’t the car’s fault, but the burning of a quart of oil every thousand miles was.
They replaced the engine for $500, which wasn’t stellar service, but wasn’t awful either. CR is in the bag for certain brands, and I can’t figure out how they are swayed, but they’re as impartial as all other modern journalists and “fact checkers.” I have no axe to grind with Subaru, but that experience isn’t likely to make me a fan either.

I have always liked Subaru cars and have had one at times since 1989 inc Euro Legacy, great AWD cars. Right now my wife is driving an 06 Legacy and me a 12 Outback for the winter.
I had had an affection for boxer engines and have since the VW, Citroen GS and Porsche air boxers so the water boxer is a natural progression, I like the Outback more than the Forester.

Posted just for Subaru Haters.

Amazing that a small auto company can win out 10 years in a row in this most competitive field. There are 10 categories and out of those ten, five are electric/hybrid which makes this accomplishment even more noteworthy. Of course those of us who own one (I am on my 3rd) understand it all!;)
Al, those who don’t know can’t possibly understand. No sense in wasting energy on those who are hopelessly lost. Those who know the Pleiades, get it. End of story 👍🏻

I had a 15 Forester. The engine blew up. I’m now 60, owned many cars, and this was the only catastrophic failure I’ve experienced. I’m certain it occurred because it was vastly overfilled at the dealer prior to an oil burn test. In that sense it wasn’t the car’s fault, but the burning of a quart of oil every thousand miles was.
They replaced the engine for $500, which wasn’t stellar service, but wasn’t awful either. CR is in the bag for certain brands, and I can’t figure out how they are swayed, but they’re as impartial as all other modern journalists and “fact checkers.” I have no axe to grind with Subaru, but that experience isn’t likely to make me a fan either.
So you’re still faulting the brand for what was clearly a dealer mistake?

subaru are geniuses, they dropped the turbo models and they sell the non turbo models at turbo models prices.
Tell us you don’t know what you’re talking about without telling us you don’t know what you’re talking about.

There are as many different model lines available with turbos today as any other given time in Subaru’s history.

I like my Forester Wilderness. The ground clearance, the revised final drive ratio, the cooled CVT, and it's easier to change the oil than any car I've owned. That final drive ratio, while it takes away MPGs, gives it enough get up and go if you properly work the torque band without just mashing the pedal. Have had a pretty snowless winter here, so I haven't been able to try it in the snow the way I'd like, but I'm a fan overall.

They're utilitarian cars that elicit little to no excitement in any way. Yeah, the WRX and STi but they're not for everyone either.
I think for the most part they do what they're intented to do and do it well, while being about as much fun as an insurance seminar.

There are vehicles or manufactures that I like but have never owned one of their vehicles.

I like Subaru's quite a bit for their mission in the market place. And I like the Forester for many of its good features that I really like in an everyday vehicle such as its suburb AWD system, the "lots of glass to see out of" and its good value. Although I've driven many Subies from family & friends, I've never owned a Subie. However, they are often on my shopping list. I'd get a Forester for me and something else for my wife.

I am also not a Ford guy but that doesn't mean that I think they're not a good vehicle, they are indeed. I'm just not a Ford guy.
I like Chrysler products and have driven few that I didn't like. But I've had so many of their vehicles all with tons of trouble that I won't buy another.

I want vehicles that check off as many of my highest criteria boxes as possible and then, I want it at the best price that I can get it for, just like everyone else. Some people want the best style vehicle and other factors mean less to them. Others want the most safety systems and others want the most convoluted infotainment system that can do more things than they'll actually use.

Subarus have an excellent AWD system, but around here it seems they are always the ones I'm pulling out of the ditch because most of the drivers lack driving skill and good tires. They just think "I got a Subaru, I'll be fine".

I think it stems from getting too confident and driving a little bit fast than one should. I got trapped into this when I tried the Outback in the snow for the first time. It was a tank, until I went a little bit faster than I should have in the conditions and the rear end did a happy little dance. Wasn't too bad, but it makes you snap back into reality real quick.

So you’re still faulting the brand for what was clearly a dealer mistake?
I judge the burning of a quart of oil every thousand miles, or less, to be the fault of Subaru. Certainly I believe the engine wouldn’t have lunched itself if the dealer hadn’t overfilled it, but I wouldn’t have been in the position in the first place if the car didn’t burn oil at an excessive rate.

Back