Subaru Ascent - my quick observations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: Brigadier
Wow. Just looked up the Ascent on the Subaru website. Looks just like my Santa Fe.

I guess subaru doesn't waste alot of money on styling! I don't think that's a bad thing as they look pretty decent IMO, but its amazing how similar the Outback and Crosstrek look when coming or going on the hwy. And I also mistook my friends new Impreza sedan for a Legacy.

Put your Santa Fe and the Ascent up against all of the CUV's out there and you'll notice something similar.

To assume that Subaru has copied Hyundai (of all makes) is kind of silly. They all copy each other, and some of that is based on specific standards in place at the time. Not everyone wants to jump out there with Juke style for their flagship vehicles (although, I think Subaru's core fanbase(boyz) would be glad of some return to its quirky roots, so long as some larger-output engines were included!)

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Wow. Just looked up the Ascent on the Subaru website. Looks just like my Santa Fe.

I guess subaru doesn't waste alot of money on styling! I don't think that's a bad thing as they look pretty decent IMO, but its amazing how similar the Outback and Crosstrek look when coming or going on the hwy. And I also mistook my friends new Impreza sedan for a Legacy.

Put your Santa Fe and the Ascent up against all of the CUV's out there and you'll notice something similar.

To assume that Subaru has copied Hyundai (of all makes) is kind of silly. They all copy each other, and some of that is based on specific standards in place at the time. Not everyone wants to jump out there with Juke style for their flagship vehicles (although, I think Subaru's core fanbase(boyz) would be glad of some return to its quirky roots, so long as some larger-output engines were included!)

We don't know what vehicles they "earmarked" for different qualities of what they wanted to give the consumer. Your right-they all copy each other. For example-they could have gone for the ride quality of one manufacturer, the interior space of yet another,etc.. It certainly looks like a copy of Hyundai's styling. I don't know why that would be a silly assumption, other than the "Hyundai hate" on this board.

Originally Posted By: CKN
I don't know why that would be a silly assumption, other than the "Hyundai hate" on this board.

I certainly think Hyundai has improved leaps and bounds over the last 10-20 years and they are now finding their down design language instead of simply aping Toyota/Honda or Mitsu. The CR-V lifted some Volvo design elements and Toyota has become even more complacent and started incorporating the Lexus "spindle grille" into the new Camry.

At least it isn't Bangle Butt - Honda was copying and pasting that into their cars during the mid-2000s.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: gathermewool

We don't know what vehicles they "earmarked" for different qualities of what they wanted to give the consumer. Your right-they all copy each other. For example-they could have gone for the ride quality of one manufacturer, the interior space of yet another,etc.. It certainly looks like a copy of Hyundai's styling. I don't know why that would be a silly assumption, other than the "Hyundai hate" on this board.

It’s a silly assumption, because the Ascent looks like an amalgamation of every Subaru on the road over the past 5 years. If you told someone who owned an Outback that this was the new Outback, they’d probably believe you.

I have no problem with Hyundai. They, like Subaru, are copying the bigger makes, for obvious reasons. Neither is as bad as Kia, when it comes to blatant copying, but neither is innovative enough I copy the other. To assume that a Japanese company would copy a Korean company lends credence to it being a silly proposition.

probably the mazda because of the longer hood

How the throttle tune? When barely you step on it does it act like 80%+ throttle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back