Subaru Forester #1 SUV for 10 Years in a Row, Consumer Reports

I work for a competing manufacturer so I won't show my bias on why I think it's not as competitive as the award seems to make it. However, on the late model Foresters we've taken in on trade I am always impressed with the amount of glass lending excellent visibility.

I work for a competing manufacturer so I won't show my bias on why I think it's not as competitive as the award seems to make it. However, on the late model Foresters we've taken in on trade I am always impressed with the amount of glass lending excellent visibility.
correct, on that statement for sure..

I personally hate the lack of visibility in most modern cars. They seem to be designed with the assumption that drivers won't be paying attention anyway so we have to build a cage around them. I'd much rather avoid the accident in the first place. Foresters have better visibility than most.

I have driven plenty of them and find them to be no better than any other economy car. Actually, worse.

But we don't have snow here, so I really don't see the appeal.

You are entitled to your opinion, you obviously have no love for the longitudinal mounted drive train or the boxer engine, solid build quality under the sheet metal, ease of service or maintenance, etc. In NE they are a very popular car and sell well and used have a very high resale.

I test drove one a few months ago. I thought it was nice but the one thing that turned me off was the key FOB. No remote start. You could remote start it only with a phone app and a monthly subscription.

You are entitled to your opinion, you obviously have no love for the longitudinal mounted drive train or the boxer engine, solid build quality under the sheet metal, ease of service or maintenance, etc. In NE they are a very popular car and sell well and used have a very high resale.
Certainly, and you're entitled to yours. I will say that the overwhelming majority of the US market does not prefer the boxer design and this is evident in sales figures.

I test drove one a few months ago. I thought it was nice but the one thing that turned me off was the key FOB. No remote start. You could remote start it only with a phone app and a monthly subscription.

Subscription is free for the first three years. Unfortunately this type of thing is only going to increase with all manufacturers moving forward.

Certainly, and you're entitled to yours. I will say that the overwhelming majority of the US market does not prefer the boxer design and this is evident in sales figures.

I don’t think they could even dream about trying to win the volume sales game. They only have two factories worldwide.

Too bad they don't offer models for us who don't desire All Wheel Drive.
They used to. I had one, listed below. Back then, front drive was rare in the US, and Subarus were rarer. It weighed about half as much as today's Subarus, and had little in common with them except the name and water-cooled horizontally opposed engine.

They have sold ~250k vehicles in the US YTD. Residence time for several Subaru models at US dealerships are amongst the shortest in the industry. They are plenty popular here in the US.

CR unlike other magazines does not require advertisement money from automakers. They are completely subscription funded.

Unlike other magazines, they don't ask automakers and other companies for product samples for them to evaluate. They use their subscription fees to go out and purchase all of their test samples.

Aside from their staff opinions, they also take into account results of surveys they send out to their subscribers.
And Snopes are just a couple of folks who impartially report the facts.

I really liked the longitudinal setup on mine and the serviceability was way better than other vehicles.

But the AC thing kinda ruined it for me .
I finally drove my sisters Crosstrek. I was pleasantly surprised, it’s slow and I felt bad beating on the CVT, but I kinda liked it.

It depends on the area, in the NE they don't last long on the dealers lot, they are very popular and for good reason the drivetrain layout in front of the front wheels provides great traction in bad weather especially snow. I am very much a VW/Audi fan but an old L5 quattro is hardly a winter only car anymore, they are scarce in nice shape, parts are in short supply and expensive.
Expensive cars do not belong on the roads in winter here.

I finally drove my sisters Crosstrek. I was pleasantly surprised, it’s slow and I felt bad beating on the CVT, but I kinda liked it.
Crosstrek, he says! But. Yeah. Slow... does it have a certain.. mode.. 🤣🤣🤣 (The trick is to drive it like it's a faster car. Most won't understand that)
Posted just for Subaru Haters.

Amazing that a small auto company can win out 10 years in a row in this most competitive field. There are 10 categories and out of those ten, five are electric/hybrid which makes this accomplishment even more noteworthy. Of course those of us who own one (I am on my 3rd) understand it all!;)
Yep. Had two identical, one was a 4 and one was a 6. One is still around and the other one (that was probably the better car of the two) isn't, and that is through no fault of its own... L.L. Bean vs a Base or L, never can figure that out...

Unfortunately, Subaru is increasingly Toyota now. If you have one with the 4EAT you should be in pretty good shape.. these cars can withstand large amounts of abuse, of course not all but.. overall it is a very good car and has earned my respect.

I will likely eventually offer the one I have remaining for sale as a BITOG Special for $2000 (offers accepted, of course, if one feels it isn't worth it.. I would list EVERYthing and we would go from there) since the trade/gift with @AutoMechanic almost happened but he has a free Camry now so it didn't. lol. Little car has earned my respect. I may eventually tire of it .........

giphy.gif
@CR94

Front wheel drive?

They used to. I had one, listed below. Back then, front drive was rare in the US, and Subarus were rarer. It weighed about half as much as today's Subarus, and had little in common with them except the name and water-cooled horizontally opposed engine.

While you are correct about the 1994 and 1995 SVX as well as I believe a select few others (GL10? I like those?) being available FWD back in the day, and an EJ22 being a very good engine unlike a sometimes temperamental EJ25.. I just do this:..

20230623_080659.jpg
20230623_080712.jpg

That way you can get more life out of even a slight mis-match of these. And no you won't blow it up
20230623_080810.jpg

Go Speed Racer Go...

Last edited:
Crosstrek, he says! But. Yeah. Slow... does it have a certain.. mode.. 🤣🤣🤣 (The trick is to drive it like it's a faster car. Most won't understand that)

Yep. Had two identical, one was a 4 and one was a 6. One is still around and the other one (that was probably the better car of the two) isn't, and that is through no fault of its own... L.L. Bean vs a Base or L, never can figure that out...

Unfortunately, Subaru is increasingly Toyota now. If you have one with the 4EAT you should be in pretty good shape.. these cars can withstand large amounts of abuse, of course not all but.. overall it is a very good car and has earned my respect.

I will likely eventually offer the one I have remaining for sale as a BITOG Special for $2000 (offers accepted, of course, if one feels it isn't worth it.. I would list EVERYthing and we would go from there) since the trade/gift with @AutoMechanic almost happened but he has a free Camry now so it didn't. lol. Little car has earned my respect. I may eventually tire of it .........

View attachment 162852
At least yours has reverse lol. The free Camry doesn’t so I haven’t been able to drive it haha.

At least yours has reverse lol. The free Camry doesn’t so I haven’t been able to drive it haha.
I drove a 1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais in and around Columbus Ohio for at least 3 months with no reverse before I got a TH-350C trans from a yard in Beaver Falls, PA for about $300, put it in the trunk, and then the "They are no longer there" mechanic on N 18th st off N 4th St put it in overnight for about $250 and a pizza. Had to swap the outside but it ran perfect after that. Eventually junked it to buy tires for my Jag.

You can drive it with no reverse, my friend! Just pull through spots and be ready to push like The Flinstones! Leg muscles will develop 🤣🤣

I still use my car everyday but. When my financial situation changes.. $2000 and I'll take the train home... but we aren't there yet.

I will say that the overwhelming majority of the US market does not prefer the boxer design and this is evident in sales figures.
I will say the overwhelming majority of the US market has absolutely no idea what the term means and what differences there are from any other engine design - inline, vee, rotary, radial, transverse vs. longitudinal, etc.

I know there’s a certain stereotype about female Subaru owners and having dogs, maybe even wearing plaid shirts…. I’m not saying they’re all true, but it absolutely is in this case 🤣

But yes, I may have disregarded an advisory speed sign and her “uh, that sign says 35 for this curve” and flew through it at 65. Allegedly of course, with very minimal protest from the tires 😉

Back