Subaru 2009 Forrester XT and Rotella T 5-40 questi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using PP 5-30 and Valvoline Synpower 5-30 in the car since new, the odometer reads 12,000. My highway fuel mileage typically is about 25-25.5 at 75 mph with the AC on with 5-30. Last change I switched to Rotella T 5-40, my highway mileage dropped to about 22.5 to 23. Is this pretty much the norm when switching to a 5-40 from 5-30? I'm pretty easy on the car, not much WOT stuff just some long grades on trips, I have been thinking of trying M1 0-30 green cap since I'm following the specified 3750 mi. changes. Any opinions? BTW, I'm in Southern California.

Gene

That's a surprisingly large drop, so I'd guess there's something else going on. Two points I would make, one I would still run out this OCI, you're never going to save enough on gas to dump the oil. Two, going to a thinner oil and one with a low HTHS for it's grade (which th M1 0-30 has) will give you better FE, but usually not enough to notice and 10% is (in a lab/scientific setting) unheard of.

So, give it a tank or two. I could see .5 mpg. Not 2.5mpg.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
good question to ask at www.naioc.com I thought that 5w30 was the factory recommended spec for the XT.

Actually the manual recommends up to 10-50 for desert driving.

Gene

Originally Posted By: bepperb
That's a surprisingly large drop, so I'd guess there's something else going on. Two points I would make, one I would still run out this OCI, you're never going to save enough on gas to dump the oil. Two, going to a thinner oil and one with a low HTHS for it's grade (which th M1 0-30 has) will give you better FE, but usually not enough to notice and 10% is (in a lab/scientific setting) unheard of.

So, give it a tank or two. I could see .5 mpg. Not 2.5mpg.

It's probably more like 1.5 to 2 mpg.

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
Does your owner's manual maintenance chart, by any chance, list DOT-6 fluid for the automatic transmission?

What is your point?

Originally Posted By: gene_c
Does your owner's manual maintenance chart, by any chance, list DOT-6 fluid for the automatic transmission?

What is your point?

Ignore him. He is trying to be a [censored], but he doesn't pull it off well.

Canadian chart has an error in the rows, causing brake fluid to line up with the recommended fill for the transmission.

No, I haven't noticed that one :)). I understand now :).

Similar mpg loss here, but I wouldn't switch to an oil geared primarly towards fuel economy such as AFE. Maybe part of my problem is that I've been less afraid to bury the accelerator since the 5W-40 is giving me a higher comfort level.
grin2.gif

Does anyone think this could be due to lack of friction modifiers in RTS?

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: bluesubie

Does anyone think this could be due to lack of friction modifiers in RTS?

-Dennis

I've wondered the same thing. D1 appeared to have them (the other 5w-40).

Originally Posted By: sparkplug
I never lost mpg's when I ran Rotella 15w40 in my Jeep, actually got the best (19) mpg's out of it.

I can't say that I lost MPG with RTS ..but it was pathetic always anyway. I did see substantial gains with 0w-10, but that was wiped with aggressive treads on new tires. The engine felt like you were straining it above 3000 rpm (2.5). No such sensation with lighter stuff.

I think I'm going back to Synpower 5-30. I got a steady 25.5 @75mph on an 1000 mile run with AC on. It's good stuff. I did the math on hiway MPG usng Rotella T on a 3750 change. It will cost an extra $39.13 using RT as compared to using Synpower 5-30. How is GC 0-30 on mileage, anyone know?

GC is thicker than the M1 or the SynPower, and has a really high HTHS, 3.5 iirc, so it shouldn't do as well as either for fuel economy.

The Rotella 5W-40 has a significantly higher 100C viscosity than the 5W-30 SynPower 5W-30 (about 40% higher). The 40C viscosity is also significantly higher. It's going to use more fuel.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
The Rotella 5W-40 has a significantly higher 100C viscosity than the 5W-30 SynPower 5W-30 (about 40% higher). The 40C viscosity is also significantly higher. It's going to use more fuel.

I found that out in a hurry. I also found out that my car came alive after changing back to Synpower today. I never thought that there would be that much difference in MPG or power losses. The car now feels like the boost has been cranked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back